Fix air suspension or install coils

Dougviii

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 93 Mark viii, very nice car but the front suspension is very stiff and bouncy at highway speeds, can the air springs hold to much pressure? the repair manual I have has little info on air ride system. Where do I start?

I recently purchased a 93 Mark viii, very nice car but the front suspension is very stiff and bouncy at highway speeds, can the air springs hold to much pressure? the repair manual I have has little info on air ride system. Where do I start?

Unless it is going to be a garage queen, you'd be better off getting a coil spring setup, once it's done your Mark will actually be capable of being a daily driver. I resisted for more than 10 years, thinking being a purist would be better in the long run-but after replacing air bags, lines, and other parts over the years, I threw in the towel and put in a StrutMaster conversion front and back-and no looking back, now I can drive it anywhere and it will not slam. It was worth it.

sorry double post

Last edited:
^This. My mark has the coil spring conversion on it as well. Some claim their ride is slightly more harsh w/ coils vs bags. My car always rode well though. It is a great upgrade worth doing, just the cost replacing the bags and related parts for the air ride becomes more than the cost of the coil spring conversion in the long run. My 2 cents

I have a 106 K miles 97 base with original air suspension that's been ok. But after all I've read in this forum for the past few months, I'm counting my blessings while waiting for the inevitable failure. Supercoupe.com offers coil over adjustable shocks that, apparently, can be set for whatever kind of ride you want. Anyone have experience with those?

I was really hoping someone would tell me there was a stuck valve or a bad sensor or something causing the front air Springs to over-inflate but I think it's just worn out front shocks

I turned the air ride off and the car dropped to the ground after about a week but came right back up when turn back on but it does seem to ride a little high in the front

Their are some advantages to keeping the air ride, like sensor lowering the car. Nice free mod for those of us still in bags, ultimately I still feel coil spring conversion is the way to go though

I have a 106 K miles 97 base with original air suspension that's been ok. But after all I've read in this forum for the past few months, I'm counting my blessings while waiting for the inevitable failure. Supercoupe.com offers coil over adjustable shocks that, apparently, can be set for whatever kind of ride you want. Anyone have experience with those?

I have used coil overs before on other cars and the ride is less pleasant as more road feel is transmitted to the chassis. Although, handling is improved. My recommendation for great ride quality is the strut masters kit. They ran a sale not long ago and it was $500 out the door shipped for coils front and rear in addition to rear shocks. Took me a weekend to do taking my sweet ol' time.

With the lack of information that I can find on the air ride suspension I'm starting to think that I may do a coil spring conversion, I knew that I would possibly have to do the coil spring conversion but the air suspension is not leaking down, at least not quickly the problem seems to be the front airbags are over pressured, the front of the car is riding an inch and a half higher then the rear and is extremely stiff but with no information on how to correct the problem I'm about to give up on the air suspension.

I'm planning on playing with the ride height sensors on the front tomorrow to see if they're operating correctly

you can move the height sensors to adjust the ride height.
often, the internal shocks are long gone by the time air bag is leaking.

I guess it could be the shocks but it seems more like the airbags are overinflated, if I turn the compressor off the car rides like it's supposed to, I'm going to try playing with the ride height sensors to see if they're operating correctly I thought I was going to get to that today but got busy doing other things so maybe tomorrow. I do appreciate everyone's input

Unless it is going to be a garage queen, you'd be better off getting a coil spring setup, once it's done your Mark will actually be capable of being a daily driver. I resisted for more than 10 years, thinking being a purist would be better in the long run-but after replacing air bags, lines, and other parts over the years, I threw in the towel and put in a StrutMaster conversion front and back-and no looking back, now I can drive it anywhere and it will not slam. It was worth it.
You tried everything to keep the air. I would be on my last nerve after all you have done too. Enough is enough.

I agree I started looking online today and found a new in the box strutmaster kit for sale on eBay for $215 w/free shipping

unnamed.jpg

Now all I need is rear shocks !
T bird shocks , I do not know the exact year, but guys here say they will work. I think I saw some monores at 30 each. Rock auto has the shocks if you have not bought some as yet

Thanks, I found the Monroe SensaTracs for a 95 Tbird on Amazon in a 2 pack for $44 with free shipping, I installed them along with the Strutmaster coil springs last weekend and everything fit perfect, I think I've recovered enough from climbing in and out of the trunk last weekend lol, to try to install the fronts this weekend! Also I have no use for the left over parts, the ride height sensors, the fill/vent solenoids and the shock actuators so if you or anyone you know can use then let me know before I throw them in the trash. Thanks again, Doug

Thanks, I found the Monroe SensaTracs for a 95 Tbird on Amazon in a 2 pack for $44 with free shipping, I installed them along with the Strutmaster coil springs last weekend and everything fit perfect, I think I've recovered enough from climbing in and out of the trunk last weekend lol, to try to install the fronts this weekend! Also I have no use for the left over parts, the ride height sensors, the fill/vent solenoids and the shock actuators so if you or anyone you know can use then let me know before I throw them in the trash. Thanks ag. IF YOU HAVE AIR PARTS< WRITE MR BILL BOATS

I'm sorry my last post regarding was somewhat incorrect, what I meant to say was the strut master parts fit perfect but the T-bird shocks although the same length required a little modification to fit. I had to remove the bushing from the large end of the shock and the robber and bushing from the upper Lincoln shock mount, then the T-bird shocks bolted right in. Sorry my information was not complete!

Members online

Back