Question about switching from air struts to coils

LS-jsf

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm having a Arnott coil kit put in this week and taking out the air struts. Is all I have to do is turn off the switch in the trunk after the kit is installed so I don't get the warning on the dash about the air suspension? Is there anything else I need to know about when having this done? Can things like the air lines, air pump all be left intact, etc.? Thanks for the help!

You leave the air switch on and cut a wire that I don't recall.
Most things can be tied out of the way
But you can remove parts and sell them or donate them to a car in need

I'm having a Arnott coil kit put in this week and taking out the air struts. Is all I have to do is turn off the switch in the trunk after the kit is installed so I don't get the warning on the dash about the air suspension? Is there anything else I need to know about when having this done? Can things like the air lines, air pump all be left intact, etc.? Thanks for the help!
There is on the right side next to the kick panel a black electric connector. To axcess it remove the kick panel and pull it back. Look for the black connector.Then seperate the black connector. This will dis arm the air ride system. You can get the message ctr to quit display "air ride problem" by calling Arnott or who you bought them from and ask for the plug that fits into some place as doing so will then keep off the air ride message. How much money did it cost to have them installed as I think you had it done and charged so much per hour or by the job. ?

Last edited:
There is on the right side next to the kick panel a black electric connector. To axcess it remove the kick panel and pull it back. Look for the black connector.Then seperate the black connector. This will dis arm the air ride system. You can get the message ctr to quit display "air ride problem" by calling arnot or who you bought them from and ask for the plug that fits into some place as doing so will then keep off the air ride message. How much money did it cost to have them installed as I think you had it done and charged so much per hour or by the job. ?
Don't cut , pull the black connector , avoid cutting any important wire.

There is on the right side next to the kick panel a black electric connector. To axcess it remove the kick panel and pull it back. Look for the black connector.Then seperate the black connector. This will dis arm the air ride system. You can get the message ctr to quit display "air ride problem" by calling arnot or who you bought them from and ask for the plug that fits into some place as doing so will then keep off the air ride message. How much money did it cost to have them installed as I think you had it done and charged so much per hour or by the job. ?
Leave the lines and pump in . Someone can convert it back to air.

i would stick with air for these reasons.
1. There are those that won't buy a M8 with springs, thus you lower your selling market, if you decide to sell
2. I think your re-sell value will be more with air, unless you find someone who wants the springs
3. I have read a lot of reviews of those that swapped to springs didn't like them.
Plus you found some really great pricing on the air parts

unplugging that connector will also disable your EVO for the speed sensitive steering..

Since Arnott is saying to unplug the black connector, you're saying I'll also do something that will affect my steering, what is the EVO do that you mention? Thanks.

unplugging that connector will also disable your EVO for the speed sensitive steering..

Here is what Arnott sent me. Go to the end of page 8 and it shows how to unplug the black connector. http://arnottinfo.com/manuals/C-2236.pdf

The easiest way to do this is to leave the switch in the trunk in the on position and cut wire 11 on the grey connector.

I can confirm this works as I cut this wire and installed a switch in the interior, so I can turn my air ride on and off without the message notification.

My understanding is that the on/off switch (wire in the trunk) goes through the message centre first then to the air ride processor. By cutting the brown/pink wire (pin 11) right at the grey wire connector you bypass the message centre notification and this turns off the air ride system.

I had the Arnott coil conversion installed this week. Unplugged the black connector as it said to do in the Arnott instructions, left the switch in the trunk OFF and got the 'check air suspension' on the dash. (It didn't say to turn it back on in the instructions) Turned the switch in the truck ON and the warning went away and so far has stayed away. Is there any problem with leaving the switch in the trunk to ON when the connector is unplugged?

I guess I have lost the EVO assisted steering and of course the ride is not as 'sporty' as with the air struts/bags, it's a 'softer' ride now. Since Arnott doesn't make the after market air struts any longer and I'm sure the originals are very expensive, I just decided to go the simple route and not have to deal with them again. I left everything there so if when I decide to sell this '98 Collector Edition some day and someone wants to put it back to original, they will be able to do so.

http://arnottinfo.com/manuals/C-2236.pdf

The easiest way to do this is to leave the switch in the trunk in the on position and cut wire 11 on the grey connector.

I can confirm this works as I cut this wire and installed a switch in the interior, so I can turn my air ride on and off without the message notification.

My understanding is that the on/off switch (wire in the trunk) goes through the message centre first then to the air ride processor. By cutting the brown/pink wire (pin 11) right at the grey wire connector you bypass the message centre notification and this turns off the air ride system.

Rock Auto has the rear air bag assemblies for about $70-80 per side, so $160 to do both. About $230 per side front, so $460 for front, + $160, so $620 in parts. Springs, you loose the ability to adjust ride height (i.e. lowering via sensor bracket or ride firmness if equipped), steering assist on cars equipped, and the ability to always stay level regardless of weight in the car. Plus, it responds differently on the road. Coil kits are roughly the same price. FWIW, airbags once replaced, should last quite awhile.

I decided to rebuild the Mark's air ride instead of coils.Rebuilt front struts, new compressor, new lines , new shocks, new rear bags. That is all the parts. Once its up and running can't be much breaking down.

I paid $366 (eBay) for the new Arnott coil set delivered. There are much less expensive coil sets out there, but I figured the quality may not be the best. I've had my CE Mark for 16 years, got tired of every so often having to change the air system out, now I never have to again. When I sell it and someone wants to change it back, have at it. I don't put that many miles on it, mostly around town now, so the lowering of the suspension doesn't come into play that much anymore anyway. The ride isn't as good and I understood that before I did it. It works for me. Do whatever floats your boat.

Rock Auto has the rear air bag assemblies for about $70-80 per side, so $160 to do both. About $230 per side front, so $460 for front, + $160, so $620 in parts. Springs, you loose the ability to adjust ride height (i.e. lowering via sensor bracket or ride firmness if equipped), steering assist on cars equipped, and the ability to always stay level regardless of weight in the car. Plus, it responds differently on the road. Coil kits are roughly the same price. FWIW, airbags once replaced, should last quite awhile.

I decided to rebuild the Mark's air ride instead of coils.Rebuilt front struts, new compressor, new lines , new shocks, new rear bags. That is all the parts. Once its up and running can't be much breaking down.
I think for certain you made the right call!

Members online

No members online now.
Back