97 Mark VIII wont start - HELP!!

b14smith

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 1997 Mark VIII with right around 123,000 miles. A few weeks ago it died on me. It will turn over, but will never crank. I've attempted to put it on an OBD2 scanner, but it doesn't read any codes, it was almost like it didn't connect properly. The anti-theft light is flashing like crazy, it is also spitting out all different errors on the center information screen (check traction control, air ride switch off, engine temp data error & gear display data error) they never go away, it will just cycle through them. I thought the issue was the ECU, I ordered a used one out of the same year car, unfortunately this did not fix the issue. The engine has fuel, I have yet to test spark, but that appears thus far to be the issue be diagnosis. Below are 2 links to video's showing exactly what it is doing. It's a good looking car, I hate to see it sit. Any suggestions, comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

video from inside the car

video from outside the car

IMG_20170409_150234731_HDR.jpg

Start checking around the transmission. My first thought is it could be something simple like a connector unplugged because that is a lot of issues at once....

1. Gear display error: that is an input from the range sensor
2. Traction control error: could be from the vss issue.
3. Engine temp data error: I believe the coolant temp shares a common power source or something with the range sensor and vss by the looks of this diagram. Its kinda hard to tell but thats my first thought. Sorry about the PDF I could figure out how to change it to am image file.

Attachments

• 1997 transmission diagram.pdf
    89.6 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
I can remember where I found this online but it has saved my ass multiple times. This has all the wiring diagrams you could want. It seems to view better on my phone for some reason though.

Attachments

• 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Wiring Diagrams.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 674
Start checking around the transmission. My first thought is it could be something simple like a connector unplugged because that is a lot of issues at once....

1. Gear display error: that is an input from the range sensor
2. Traction control error: could be from the vss issue.
3. Engine temp data error: I believe the coolant temp shares a common power source or something with the range sensor and vss by the looks of this diagram. Its kinda hard to tell but thats my first thought.
Thanks for the suggestion! I will take a look around the tranny and post an update.

I would check your fuses first. I had a blown fuse within the side dash fuse panel and the message center listed different "data" errors, similar to yours. I think it was fuse number 37 or 41? I recall it was a 10 amp fuse.

Check for spark, hook up an inductive timing light and have someone crank it over while you look at the light, or look at the tach and see if the needle moves while you crank it-checking the fuel is easy too, there is a green cap on the fuel rail that should spray some fuel after cranking if you depress the valve (hold a rag over it to mitigate the spray). If you do not have spark, suspect crank sensor, if no fuel it could be crank sensor or VLCM (in front of the radiator). Another common symptom of the VLCM is no AC, it controls fuel pump and compressor.
Crank sensors are notorious for just dying all of a sudden, or giving warning symptoms like stalling out at idle OR at speed. No codes are also common of crank sensor problems, and they are cheap enough and fairly easy to replace if you have never done it.

you have a PATS issue.
rapid blink is PATS.
other trouble shooting paths will be useless until you can stop PATS for intervening.

try another key if you have one.
make sure the battery is fully charged. it does not sound fully charged.
excessive message center warnings are a low voltage indicator.

you may need a SCIL module, a new antenna, or new keys if any of them have gone bad.
if you have access to a higher end scan tool you may be able to re-add your keys.

regardless, continuing to try and start the car before you find out why the PATS light is rapid flashing won't get you very far.

Members online

Back