What is best way to repair a twisted transmission cooler line?

Scallywag

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Coming out of the shadows to solicit some more of your infinite wisdom on the best way to repair a twisted transmission cooler line.

So I picked up a project Mark and was aiming to replace the radiator, amongst other things, as the one that the car came with had a pin hole leak through the mid-body of the unit. I got a replacement radiator with fittings, had removed the radiator fan, and was ready to attack the transmission lines but unfortunately, the upper retainer nut would not budge so I employed another wrench to hold the radiator nut while I try to torque the transmission line retainer nut with more strength.

I lost my grip to the wrench on the radiator nut, spun both nuts as the other wrench was still on the retainer nut, and twisted the t-line which then started to spray some fluid when I got the bright idea of spinning the nuts the other way in a futile attempt to undo what was already done. I only succeeded in ensuring that the transmission line was compromised. The end result.....

186257-40a40ae2c21cdd48ec5c29b0149a5f26.jpg

Not too bad, but am not sure how to fix it.

Do I try my luck and hope to find some transmission cooler line assemblies for the 4R70W? If so, are the cooler lines interchangeable between other 4R70W vehicles(Marauder, Thunderbird, Mustang etc) or are there aftermarket options that will do better?

Or....

Is it as easy as cutting out the twisted section and replacing with transmission cooler hose with screw clamps and fitting to mate with radiator nut?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

View attachment 828568952

If it were me, I'd cut and clamp. Fast and easy. Integrity of fluid flow is what's important, as long as its the right size and doesn't leak..... Wtf, right?

Hey guys!

Coming out of the shadows to solicit some more of your infinite wisdom on the best way to repair a twisted transmission cooler line.

So I picked up a project Mark and was aiming to replace the radiator, amongst other things, as the one that the car came with had a pin hole leak through the mid-body of the unit. I got a replacement radiator with fittings, had removed the radiator fan, and was ready to attack the transmission lines but unfortunately, the upper retainer nut would not budge so I employed another wrench to hold the radiator nut while I try to torque the transmission line retainer nut with more strength.

I lost my grip to the wrench on the radiator nut, spun both nuts as the other wrench was still on the retainer nut, and twisted the t-line which then started to spray some fluid when I got the bright idea of spinning the nuts the other way in a futile attempt to undo what was already done. I only succeeded in ensuring that the transmission line was compromised. The end result.....

View attachment 828568954

Do I try my luck and hope to find some transmission cooler line assemblies for the 4R70W? If so, are the cooler lines interchangeable between other 4R70W vehicles(Marauder, Thunderbird, Mustang etc) or are there aftermarket options that will do better?

Or....

Is it as easy as cutting out the twisted section and replacing with transmission cooler hose with screw clamps and fitting to mate with radiator nut?

Its more damaged than a pin hole leak. Either buy some hose and take a little piece of that damaged steel line that still round enough to the auto zone, advanced, or federated. so they can sell you the correct size of rubber hose to fit the steel sample part you bring to to them. Get a small pair of hose clamps too. Slip the clamps on 1st, then fit the hose between each end of the line. Tighten and start car . No leaks OK, leaks? tighten some more. OR takes the line off . If the line nuts must won't come out, saw flush with the nut at the line coming out. Then socket wrench the nut out. If its rounded it can still be removed but I see that its is not in bad shape now.Take the line to a napa , or advanced or o rileys or r zone. You have a few bends that a do it your selfer may not be able to do in the line. Rubber fix sounds better. I have one on my gran am fuel line for 5 years and no leaks. Used double hose clamps each end.

Hey guys!

View attachment 828568954

Or....

Try amazon or e bay .search t lines for mark 8

If it were me, I'd cut and clamp. Fast and easy. Integrity of fluid flow is what's important, as long as its the right size and doesn't leak..... Wtf, right?

Yea, that seems like the route I'm going to with as I already bought some clamps with the transmission line hose to cut down to size. I just have to remember where I put my small sawzall and/or dremel to cut that section out.

For the heck of it, I went to the nearest PickNPull and got the upper cooler line from a Mark that was there. It was super easy because a lot of the bottom had been removed and it almost fell right down when I unfastened the nut going into the transmission.

I take it I won't have the same luxury with installing it in my car as the bottom is not torn apart like the junked Mark was and seems like that's the only to get this line in.

Thanks again!

Its more damaged than a pin hole leak....

Please read my message more carefully.

I said that there was/is a pinhole leak in the middle of the radiator(meaning, within the "fins"). The transmission coolant line that I twisted does not seem like the middle of a radiator, as I'm sure you're well aware.

So, it is no more than a pinhole leak on the radiator.

Thanks anyways.

Re reading the post, you replaced the radiator and while replacing the trans cooler lines, the nuts were gauld to the tubing causing the tubing to twist with the movement of the frozen nut. Requiring another line or a fix to install the undamage 2nd radiator.

Members online

Back