93 Mark Viii oil filter adapter gasket

Jaye-One

LVC Member
Reaction score
I replaced my oil filter adapter gasket about a year and a half ago due to leak. It started leaking again. I was wondering if a bolt or bolts could be backing out, vibrating loose. And if so is there is a way to prevent this. Or do these POS gaskets only last 18 to 24 months? Lol, Smh! Any advice would be appreciated.

After 20 years and 90 k miles, my '97's didn't leak, though had it replaced anyway when I had the motor mounts replaced. Tighten the bolts and see what happens.

OK. I appreciate you getting back with me. I will snug those bolts and see what happens.

OK, I will mind myself when it comes to that, cause at points and times I admittedly get snugitus :eek:, Lol! But seriously is there torque specification? I'm not lazy I will google for answer as well. I'm just glad to talk to people who like the mark as much as i do.

OK, I will mind myself when it comes to that, cause at points and times I admittedly get snugitus :eek:, Lol! But seriously is there torque specification? I'm not lazy I will google for answer as well. I'm just glad to talk to people who like the mark as much as i do.

I've done mine twice in the almost 12 years of ownership of this Mark (have had a few), and there couldn't have been a lot of miles between the two replacements since I bought this (a '96) with about 112,000 miles and it now only has 132,000. Both times it went suddenly, shortly after starting it up and within a couple of miles from home, so I thought maybe high oil pressure on cold start might have something to do with it. No matter what it looked like the Exxon Valdez when it let go last time, I had to shut it down on a state highway and get it towed to home. It was so bad I was lucky I saw that it happened as I left a stoplight and looked in my rear view mirror. I did deliberately install the bolts a little tighter last time along with putting a small coating of Permatex blue on both sides of the gasket. It's kind of a weird thing they way they tend to just let go, I had a friend with a 94 and I took care of his, it went suddenly as well with no warning. I always look for symptoms when I change the filter, and the oil pressure switch has also let go once on my 96, again with no warning. That switch is located right there and is easy to confuse a leaking gasket with a leaking OPS if it is really messy.
The 4 bolts holding it on are 20-30 N-m (15-22 Lb-Ft)
Sensor is 12-16 N-m (9-12 lb-ft) I went a little past that for both.

Last edited:
I never changed or checked the sensor, but that is one that is going to get done as well. When I replaced the gasket it lasted awhile but then leak came back. Still have my old gasket in trunk, I said when it came out that it didn't look bad and I always had my doubts.

Members online

No members online now.
Back