Passed 199,000 miles today 01 V6 16 years of ownership original engine

tireman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Runs like new. Had the usual problems over the years. This year only had to replace the radiator. Daily driver. Got smart and started buying lifetime guaranteed parts. Leaks some oil here and there, but who cares, just put some more in. Never replaced the steering pump or water pump.
Anyone with experience with the 04 V8? Thinking about buying one, but I hear they will cut out on you while driving. Anyone know the fix? Thanks!

...Anyone with experience with the 04 V8? Thinking about buying one, but I hear they will cut out on you while driving. Anyone know the fix? Thanks!

I haven't heard that one. I have two V8s since new. Both are very close to 200K. Neither has cut out (while driving or not). One (the 06) did stall once while stopped at a light. It started right back up and has never (so far) done that again.

Good to hear from you again...

Anyone with experience with the 04 V8? Thinking about buying one, but I hear they will cut out on you while driving.

I have never head of that happening before, I'm sure somebody somewhere may have had this happen(as with any car I guess it is possible), but definitely nowhere near a common problem nor something I would ever be concerned of. the only time my car has ever cut out while driving was because of a major misfire problem and I kept driving it a few miles to my shop and I melted down the catalytic converter and it would choke out the engine.

I haven't heard that one. I have two V8s since new. Both are very close to 200K. Neither has cut out (while driving or not). One (the 06) did stall once while stopped at a light. It started right back up and has never (so far) done that again.

Good to hear from you again...
Thanks Joegr, good to see you're still helping people fix their machines. I wonder how far we can push these engines?

Thanks Joegr, good to see you're still helping people fix their machines. I wonder how far we can push these engines?

Further than the transmissions, I suspect. (At least until we can't get the cooling system parts anymore.)

My engine cut outs in 2006 were due to a failing fuel pump at age 4. Repeated individual cut outs of 1-2 seconds in duration until it just finally gave up the ghost one day right after exiting the interstate.
Unlike COP misfires, these cut outs were long enough for the engine to stall once while at idle.
Pump replaced under warranty and never repeated over the next 11 years.
Have you ever replaced the fuel pump?

Members online

No members online now.
Back