Full size spare?

MisterRoy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am going on a trip in a few days and I noticed that my donut spare is no good. It seems that nobody really carries the tire (dealership maybe?)and that some of the LSes did come with full size spares. I was looking in my trunk...it looks kinda tight for a full size spare with the fuse box, battery, etc. in the trunk. Did the LSes with the full size spare have a different configuration in the trunk?

Thanks!

Fits like a glove. I picked on up from ebay back in 2010. They were black 16" rims with (in my case) continental tires.
The diameter is about the same (you wouldn't want the spare shorter than a normal tire), it's just the tire width. And the well is plenty deep enough for a normal sized tire.
Keep calling around. I've had the best luck with Firestone for donuts. Also seems to depend who you get on the phone.

Fits like a glove. I picked on up from ebay back in 2010. They were black 16" rims with (in my case) continental tires.
The diameter is about the same (you wouldn't want the spare shorter than a normal tire), it's just the tire width. And the well is plenty deep enough for a normal sized tire.
Keep calling around. I've had the best luck with Firestone for donuts. Also seems to depend who you get on the phone.
I would rather get a full size spare. If I went and purchased a 16" cheapo rim and tire, from somewhere like Discount Tire, would that suffice or is the rim very specific?

I would rather get a full size spare. If I went and purchased a 16" cheapo rim and tire, from somewhere like Discount Tire, would that suffice or is the rim very specific?

The LS rims are semi-specific. You have to get the right one. I bought a couple of 17" LS rims on e-bay, added tires, and used those for two full size spares (two LSes). They fit just fine in place of the mini-spares that they both came with.

Given the difficultly folks have with finding suitable aftermarket rims, I guess (totally a guess) is that there's no cheapo rim that would fit correctly. Given this car is really a Jag, it has unusual bolt pattern and offset.
But, no harm in trying. If nothing else, an original rim from a junkyard or ebay would also work.

Given the difficultly folks have with finding suitable aftermarket rims, I guess (totally a guess) is that there's no cheapo rim that would fit correctly. Given this car is really a Jag, it has unusual bolt pattern and offset.
But, no harm in trying. If nothing else, an original rim from a junkyard or ebay would also work.
I just called Discount Tire. They wanted to sell me a black Drag DR62 rim with a tire, which they have in stock. I am not opposed to it. But again, it's the size thing. Let me ask this - would a normal lincoln 17" stock wheel and tire fit in the well? (you mention original rim, not sure if you meant full size spare rim or normal 17" rim) If so, then this might be the route I go. I really need something for a Saturday departure.

Thanks for all your help!

...- would a normal lincoln 17" stock wheel and tire fit in the well? (you mention original rim, not sure if you meant full size spare rim or normal 17" rim) If so, then this might be the route I go. I really need something for a Saturday departure.

Thanks for all your help!

Yes, that's exactly what I did, on both of my LSes. That's what I said in the post above.

Another great thing with using the same rim as the other four tires is that you can throw the spare into the rotation. That way the spare never gets too old.

Members online

No members online now.
Back