Customer reviews, Arnott or Strutmasters

BILLBOATS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
When it comes down to converting the mark 8's to spring ride which of the spring sellers do you think give the correct ride height and comfortable ride and driving pleasure, Arnott or Strutmasters? This will be a 4 wheel conversion. Money is no concern for this job as both are roughly the same prices.

I replaced both of my back air struts with arnott ones, they feel like they are high quality went in quite easily after figuring out how to do it , also put in arnott shock absorbers in the back, ride hight is good and it's a good comfortable ride more stiff than soft.

When it comes down to converting the mark 8's to spring ride which of the spring sellers do you think give the correct ride height and comfortable ride and driving pleasure, Arnott or Strutmasters? This will be a 4 wheel conversion. Money is no concern for this job as both are roughly the same prices.

I would keep it air, I have seen many here who have converted and unhappy and converted back to air.

I replaced both of my back air struts with arnott ones, they feel like they are high quality went in quite easily after figuring out how to do it , also put in arnott shock absorbers in the back, ride hight is good and it's a good comfortable ride more stiff than soft.
Thanks , I am supposing if I replace the 2 front air struts with arnot and rears with new shocks and a new compressor along with all new air lines the chances of failure will be small for the first 2-5 years. What do you see that can break after replacing what I just describes if anything else?

I would keep it air, I have seen many here who have converted and unhappy and converted back to air.
Thanks please read mikes post and my new question. If I rebuild the entire air system what else could break if anything else?

From what I got from real MK VIII Pros, any aftermarket front air bag still retains the original inner shock, all that is replaced is the bag. So, the bag will be new, but the inner shock could still be 20 years old with more than 100k miles on it.

I have also been advised to keep the air suspension, for ride, and for retaining the value of my MK.

Thanks please read mikes post and my new question. If I rebuild the entire air system what else could break if anything else?
I would think if you rebuild entire system you would have far more than 5 years of reliability. I would think at least 10 years easy.

My M8 is a 98 with all original equipment and same with my 91. I sensor lowered my 91 in 93 without a single issue. Yes the systems are a bit different with the M7 having the air bags and shocks separate, but still very similar systems.

With you asking is there anything else = There is the computer that controls the system, being 17+ years old it is possible that could fail, but I haven't ever heard of this happening. Maybe others can speak to their experiences.

I have also been advised to keep the air suspension, for ride, and for retaining the value of my MK.
When I was looking for my M8, I found a couple that were in great condition but converted to springs. That is the reason why I didn't purchase them.

If you need to rely on it as your daily I would go with the strutmaster springs in a heartbeat. I did and the ride is nice and its great piece of mind. Later down the road when I turn this into a project car I would like to go with a full aftermarket air setup.

Thanks , I am supposing if I replace the 2 front air struts with arnot and rears with new shocks and a new compressor along with all new air lines the chances of failure will be small for the first 2-5 years. What do you see that can break after replacing what I just describes if anything else?
There's always a chance of things breaking but replacing the whole air ride set up would make those chances very small

From what I got from real MK VIII Pros, any aftermarket front air bag still retains the original inner shock, all that is replaced is the bag. So, the bag will be new, but the inner shock could still be 20 years old with more than 100k miles on it.

Thats selling us cheap stuff that could be worn. I'll keep that in mind and probe around . Do not want to be sold used part when I pay for new part

I will keep that in mind. Sounds like a way to sell used for new part. When I pay for new I sure do not expect a used strut. Thanks a lot

If you need to rely on it as your daily I would go with the strutmaster springs in a heartbeat. I did and the ride is nice and its great piece of mind. Later down the road when I turn this into a project car I would like to go with a full aftermarket air setup.

I wonder besides buying individual air parts if owners could buy an all in one kit. I have never seen one adveertised?

I will drive the Mark from april to nov 15th, then it will be covered in my garage. By shopping I can get all air parts new for 650.00 including compressor. Strutmasters about 5 to 550

Check the options offered by Bill at supercoupeperformance.com. he offers coil over shock conversions that are adjustable, and he claims they can be set to whatever type of ride you want.

Thanks, I can follow up your suggestion. I am looking at all angles for this job

I would think if you rebuild entire system you would have far more than 5 years of reliability. I would think at least 10 years easy.

My M8 is a 98 with all original equipment and same with my 91. I sensor lowered my 91 in 93 without a single issue. Yes the systems are a bit different with the M7 having the air bags and shocks separate, but still very similar systems.

With you asking is there anything else = There is the computer that controls the system, being 17+ years old it is possible that could fail, but I haven't ever heard of this happening. Maybe others can speak to their experiences.

Thanks, I am leaning more to Arnott too. Do you know if they get EIBACH springs made for them?

When I was looking for my M8, I found a couple that were in great condition but converted to springs. That is the reason why I didn't purchase them.
So not having a air ride made the difference.

Members online

Back