02 Lincoln Ls melted alternator post!!!

HMass1

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been wandering around this site for quite some time and find almost everyone helpful so decided to ask for help because I'm stumped. I had the alternator on my 02 LS V8 rebuilt about 4 months ago and last week it started smoking. I knew it was fried so I bought a new one and when removing the one I had rebuilt I noticed the positive alternator post was melted. I want to avoid this happening to the new one I have so I need help finding out what caused it to melt so I can fix that to save myself the later headache. Plz Any help is appreciated.

You will get a lot more views and help, if you make a thread in the correct forum:
Lincoln LS

That said, the post melted because it got too hot. It got too hot because the resistance of the connection was too high (poor connection). This could have been the connection internal to the alternator (rebuilders messed up), or the connection to the power wire (you messed up). It could be that the connection was a little loose. Was it loose when you disconnected it? Or it could be that the cable end was a little corroded or dirty. What is the condition of the cable end (terminal) that attaches to that post?

You will get a lot more views and help, if you make a thread in the correct forum:
Lincoln LS

That said, the post melted because it got too hot. It got too hot because the resistance of the connection was too high (poor connection). This could have been the connection internal to the alternator (rebuilders messed up), or the connection to the power wire (you messed up). It could be that the connection was a little loose. Was it loose when you disconnected it? Or it could be that the cable end was a little corroded or dirty. What is the condition of the cable end (terminal) that attaches to that post?
The cable was fairly loose and dirty. I had a Pop shop put it in because I work allot. BTW thanks for the tip, I'll find the correct thread definitely

Members online

No members online now.
Back