Gen 2 Fan Assembly in Gen 1 Car Question

Carl Smith

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a Gen 2 V6 fan assembly I'm swapping over to my Gen 1 V8. The fan has the large and small connectors. I saw an older thread showing a fancy controller. I just want the fan to kick on high at a certain temp, say 185, and shut off at another. I understand the larger connector wires are constant power and ground and the 2nd smaller connector has a "power on" wire & "signal" wire. Can this power on wire be used with any cheap aftermarket temp controller to kick the fan on and off at full speed like a manual toggle switch ? I assume the signal wire is to control rpm and if ignored the fan defaults to full speed ?

Your assumptions are correct. Be aware that the fan may not live very long running at maximum speed much of the time.

That would mean selecting a turn on temp that is not in the "normal" range, but not to high that the engine is burning down before the fan comes on. I would guess an adjustable temp controller would be best then to experiment. Ideally, the fan would not need to cut on at all while driving, just at idle which should limit its run time.

I think that normal fan turn on is somewhere over 200 F. If possible, it would probably be best to monitor the temp of the lower radiator hose. Maybe there, 185 or lower would be good. That hose should only get hot when the thermostat is open and little air is flowing.
Two down sides:
1. No AC when not moving pretty good.
2. Annoying fan cycling on and off at idle, like a Honda.

I think that normal fan turn on is somewhere over 200 F. If possible, it would probably be best to monitor the temp of the lower radiator hose. Maybe there, 185 or lower would be good. That hose should only get hot when the thermostat is open and little air is flowing.
Two down sides:
1. No AC when not moving pretty good.
2. Annoying fan cycling on and off at idle, like a Honda.

Thanks for the input.

Members online

No members online now.
Back