Bringing my 2002 Lincoln continental back to life

Forgot to mention...we got the windows tinted a couple weeks ago

Screenshot_2017-07-05-07-30-39.png

Screenshot_2017-07-05-07-30-46.png

Screenshot_2017-07-05-07-30-53.png

You have done a lot of work since you got the car. What an amazing transformation new clean parts make! I've noticed you got an aftermarket coolant bypass tube cap. It makes things a lot easier when you need to attend the cooling system.

I thought of trying the home made ram air intake duct that some say really wakes up these cars. It would be made from black PVC pipe. It's something to think about for the future.

I had looked up that Dorman part number for the trans pan and it says it does not fit the Continental. Then I looked closer and I saw why, on the top it does not have that rounded part like the one for Continental stock. I would definitely be interested too if they make one with a drain plug.

Keep up the great work dude!

Thanks!
Yeah the new crossover plug helps a lot and gives me Peace of mind when working with the coolant system. I have heard many horror stories regarding the crossover cap.

Yeah I have been thinking of doing a ram air. We definitely have the room for it.

I guess I will have to add my own drain plug then haha

Last edited:
Cool set-up for the fans and cooler. You have some very intelligent skill in fab by getting the bracket constructed. We have some very talented people on LVC.

The route for the wiring is very neatly done. I love OCD people I'm one of them too! Least I know I'm not alone. lol

Thanks again Svets96. It nice hearing a compliment every once and awhile.

Yeah the wiring was very time consuming but I think it was worth it.

Well done, and excellent post.
You have accomplished a lot in a short time.
At the rate you are going, pretty soon you will run out of things to do.

I’ve been around the block a few times, mainly with GM products, but
I’m not at all familiar with these cars, and have a great deal to learn.
Any info/pics are a great help to me.

There doesn’t seem to be much interest or discussion on these cars that I’ve found.
In Lincoln circles FWD seems to be treated like a disease.

Well done, and excellent post.
You have accomplished a lot in a short time.
At the rate you are going, pretty soon you will run out of things to do.

I’ve been around the block a few times, mainly with GM products, but
I’m not at all familiar with these cars, and have a great deal to learn.
Any info/pics are a great help to me.

There doesn’t seem to be much interest or discussion on these cars that I’ve found.
In Lincoln circles FWD seems to be treated like a disease.

Thanks man. Haha good point about running out of stuff to do. I have a few cosmetic things coming up but the biggest and last project for awhile will be shocks/struts and front suspension rebuild.

I agree completely about the lack of interest these cars have. It's pretty sad. The moment you say FWD people lose all interest. I guess it's because there is a mark and town car to choose from...but I have to say all three have their own different personalities.

Pretty funny..the continental is faster than any stock town car and most stock Mark VIIIs

Thanks man. Haha good point about running out of stuff to do. I have a few cosmetic things coming up but the biggest and last project for awhile will be shocks/struts and front suspension rebuild.

I agree completely about the lack of interest these cars have. It's pretty sad. The moment you say FWD people lose all interest. I guess it's because there is a mark and town car to choose from...but I have to say all three have their own different personalities.

Pretty funny..the continental is faster than any stock town car and most stock Mark VIIIs

I don't get the FWD thing from people....they say oh its so hard to work on them, and I wouldn't touch them at all its "over complicated".. Just remember the Northstar Cadillacs are FWD and people don't complain about that. Someone specializes in rebuilding those engines. Also they have a bigger restoration part supplier base more than we do for Continental. Someone who loves the Caddy FWD's and Northstars found a way to work on them, they were determined to make it happen. So we are determined to do the same for the FWD InTech!! That did not shy me away from this model, I WANT to LEARN more on this model and figure out how I can contribute to getting performance parts and resto parts for them. Believe me when I tell you I am already in talks with some people so stay tuned I will be posting threads about it. Its just gonna take a little time on my end. This car being FWD does not bother me one bit.

So lets keep restoring these and keep posting about each other's progress. Since I started my refurbishment thread I've noticed others starting to restore theirs! I'm so happy you all are doing this!! Remember what Dennis Gage says "Don't crush'em Restore'em"!!

X2 on Continental being faster then Town Car and Mark VIII! Lol

P.S. Sorry for the rant. ha ha

I don't get the FWD thing from people....they say oh its so hard to work on them, and I wouldn't touch them at all its "over complicated".. Just remember the Northstar Cadillacs are FWD and people don't complain about that. Someone specializes in rebuilding those engines. Also they have a bigger restoration part supplier base more than we do for Continental. Someone who loves the Caddy FWD's and Northstars found a way to work on them, they were determined to make it happen. So we are determined to do the same for the FWD InTech!! That did not shy me away from this model, I WANT to LEARN more on this model and figure out how I can contribute to getting performance parts and resto parts for them. Believe me when I tell you I am already in talks with some people so stay tuned I will be posting threads about it. Its just gonna take a little time on my end. This car being FWD does not bother me one bit.

So lets keep restoring these and keep posting about each other's progress. Since I started my refurbishment thread I've noticed others starting to restore theirs! I'm so happy you all are doing this!! Remember what Dennis Gage says "Don't crush'em Restore'em"!!

X2 on Continental being faster then Town Car and Mark VIII! Lol

P.S. Sorry for the rant. ha ha

Well to tell you the truth...I would be lying if I said it being FWD didn't bother me because it does. But I understand ford wanted to make a direct competitor to the FWD Northstar cars. I wanted a Continental because I prefer the overall styling of the car and believe it or not, the continentals are much easier to work on. For example..The FWD Northstar has the starter under the intake manifold and the water pump is at the rear of the engine. In the 90s, Cadillac only had the FWD Northstar cars and the escalade where as Lincoln had the town car, continental, mark VIII, LS and navigator..all very different cars built on different platforms vs the Deville Seville and Eldorado sharing the same platform. This makes me view the continental as a much more unique car.

That being said, the fwd Northstar cars have a far superior Transmission...the 4t80e.

The only two performance issues I see with the continental is the transmission and as far as I know, you can't have a tuner tune the car. Other than that, we have the same rotating assembly, heads and cams as a 99-02 mustang cobra so all internal parts are interchangeable. Looking under the car, it would not be hard to fab up a true dual exhaust set up with x pipe. I have had my thoughts about making the conti a true sleeper but... it's honestly not logical when I already having a modified mark VIII and a stock town car begging for a turbo....but it is an itch I hope to scratch one day.

I read your restoration write up a couple weeks ago. Great work. I wish my car was as clean as yours. I hope the more of us restore these cars the more people will consider a Continental over a LS or FWD Northstar.

I greatly appreciate your input.
"Don't crush'em restore'em"

Last edited:
When I decided I wanted a rolling living room I looked at Caddys and two Continentals.
All very nice cars, but my decision on buying Caddy or Continental came down to the 4.6L Ford vs. the Northstar.
It also helped that there was something that was more appealing about the Continental.
So I gulped hard and bought my first Ford product.

In reading up about them I thought I read somewhere that the transmission problems that plagued these cars were completely corrected by 1999. I don’t know if that’s the case or not.

I read that you replaced you air springs.
Right after I got my car it started to loose air. Not wanting to screw with it, I put in
Coil springs. Maybe I’m just to old to notice a difference in ride, but as far as I can tell the car feels and rides the same after the replacement, the only noticeable difference a little stiffer push back over a sharp bump(s).

I also read that you also have a town car. I would be interested to know how do you rate the Continental’s ride as compared to the Town Car?

And again, thanks for taking the time to share what you are doing.

A family member had a 04 Deville DTS I was very close to buying. It was in mint condition but I just wasn't feeling the car. I knew the history of the car and knew of all of its problems but it just wasn't for me.

The rear bags were very easy to replace.
Easier than replacing coils because if i remember right...with coils you have to remove the bottom bracket...with the bags you just disconnect the solenoid, unclip the bag from the car and reverse for install...very straight forward.

I can not comment much on how the continental rides compared to my 2006 town car because the shocks on the continental are blown and the town car shocks are oem at 155k.... However, after having the car a few months now and talking to a friend who owned town cars and Continentals, the town car does have a smoother ride in a straight line but it does have a solid rear axle so at times the rear of the car will do some funky movements on rough/uneven roads..especially rough train tracks. This is something I have not experienced with the continental. I also noticed, even with blown struts the continental doesnt have as much body lean when going around corners. When both cars have new shocks and struts I will update the difference.

Last edited:
About the transmission...I have read of multiple improvements made to the ax4n through the years. I think a lot of it has to do with driving style. For example, the 4r70w is the weak link in the mustangs but I know of countless crown vics/grand marquis/town cars and explorers hitting 300k+ miles on the original 4r70w transmission.

My town car does have a quieter ride...both road and air noise and has a sharper turning radius. It feels like I have to learn how to park all over again in the continental lol

Last edited:
Interesting -- I thought it was just me but I thought the Continental
was a little bit noisier than than I expected it would be. However if thats the
only complaint I'm quite satisfied.

The AX4N trans could be problematic at times, they say the 1st and 2nd gear accumilator goes bad. Its that hard 1st shift when your on it that gets abused. As stated above its all on your driving style. Also change trans fluid and filter every 15,000 miles, not the recommended 30,000 miles. **This is very important.

Now, my plans for my drive train include a remaned Jasper transmission with all the upgraded parts, a Luk Schaefler heavy duty stall converter with a Transgo shift kit will be installed. This car is gonna lay tire even more than it does right now :)

The DTS is a nice car, the Northstars were upgraded and taken care of from 2003-05 I believe it was. Very stout. The 1993-2003 Seville STS was my favorite Cadillac. I'm a die hard Ford dude in blue, and Four pointed star fan til I die, I give credit where credit is do. The V-series is sweet too.

FlaOkie keep your Continental running strong and beautiful. You'll enjoy it even more! Have any questions just let me know.

The AX4N trans could be problematic at times, they say the 1st and 2nd gear accumilator goes bad. Its that hard 1st shift when your on it that gets abused. As stated above its all on your driving style. Also change trans fluid and filter every 15,000 miles, not the recommended 30,000 miles. **This is very important.

Now, my plans for my drive train include a remaned Jasper transmission with all the upgraded parts, a Luk Schaefler heavy duty stall converter with a Transgo shift kit will be installed. This car is gonna lay tire even more than it does right now :)

The DTS is a nice car, the Northstars were upgraded and taken care of from 2003-05 I believe it was. Very stout. The 1993-2003 Seville STS was my favorite Cadillac. I'm a die hard Ford dude in blue, and Four pointed star fan til I die, I give credit where credit is do. The V-series is sweet too.

FlaOkie keep your Continental running strong and beautiful. You'll enjoy it even more! Have any questions just let me know.

Damn my phone never notified me you replied. I will look into that transmission you mentioned. I need to start looking into a transmssion. I found someome local on ebay who rebuilds them for $650. My TCC code came back on Sunday. Pretty disappointed.

I'm sure someone with enough skill in the wiring and fabrication department can get a 6 speed auto to work with the right bolt pattern...like a aisin f21 from the Ford 500 or AWTF-80 SC from a Mazda 6. That would be cool.

These are some pictures my recent "project"

I replaced the beat up front licence plate bracket with a new Motorcraft unit. I tried to find a cheaper aftermarket one but I guess there isn't a big enough demand for them.

Also put one some plate frames made from real carbon fiber off of eBay.

Keep in mind the picture I took of the old bracket was AFTER I started taking the plate off. I have a bad habit of forgetting to take "before" pictures lol

Screenshot_2017-07-18-18-05-06.png

Screenshot_2017-07-18-18-05-13.png

Screenshot_2017-07-18-18-05-27.png

Screenshot_2017-07-18-18-05-35.png

To be be honest I never cared for the wheels my continental came with. I think it was a combination of the front siting higher than normal due to bad struts and the tires on the wheels not being the best looking. I decided to put on some wheels from my Mark VIII. After a week or so of having them on...they grew on me. When I decided to keep them on the continental, I put on some almost new tires for the rear. While I had the rears tires off I went ahead and replaced the rear bags. Its hard to believe the oem bags did not leak at all even after the car sat for multiple days in a row with the battery disconnected. While the wheels were off I put on chrome center caps (originally I had on gold CE hub caps) and I did a quick polish and added some Shine to the tires.

The rear bags were VERY easy to replace compared to my Mark VIII and Town Car. By far the easiest air ride replacement I have done.

A good friend of mine gave me a coil cover that was in way better condition than the one that came with the car so I went ahead and put that on. View attachment 828488870 View attachment 828488871 View attachment 828488872 View attachment 828488874

View attachment 828488873

View attachment 828488875
These bags are so small compared to the bags on mark and TC....cute lol
View attachment 828488876

View attachment 828488877

View attachment 828488878

View attachment 828488879

View attachment 828488880

View attachment 828488869

I would never be happy to work on my car in 101 degree heat lol your a champ

Members online

No members online now.