AC Compressor rattle

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I noticed a rattle coming from the passenger lower side front of the engine. The plate on the front of the compressor is loose. There are 3 "press in tabs" ? not sure what to call these and one is missing.
Can the M8 still be driven until I either find a tab - doubt these would be made? Or I replace the compressor?
I'm going to disconnect the wiring harness, so the clutch won't engage, until I get this fixed.

I would think there is a shorter belt to bypass the pulley? If so,t would have to be made for another application as all Lincoln's come with AC. Maybe the Mustang?

AC Compressor.jpg

AC Compressor - up close.jpg

thats the clutch for the compressor. when engaged it gets pulled in electromagnetically. it just needs to be replaced and shimmed properly.

thats the clutch for the compressor. when engaged it gets pulled in electromagnetically. it just needs to be replaced and shimmed properly.
Thanks, I know, that is why I said "I'm going to disconnect the wiring harness, so the clutch won't engage, until I get this fixed."

I wanted to confirm its fine to run as long as I disconnect the wiring?

I think I might as well replace the compressor vs. taking it out to be repaired. I've owned the M8 for 3 + years and the air hasn't ever been cold. For my area, it isn't really needed and found a bypass pulley for $42.80, the rebuild compressor is only $85.00 and the clutch hub for $45.61. If the hub is just a bolt on, I think I would get that. Would like to have this fixed with the least amount of time (not spend timing shimming). There are other things like back shocks that I would like to get to like the rear shocks.

A/C Air Conditioning Compressor Bypass Pulley 4.6L for Ford Mercury Lincoln | eBay

93-02 FORD LINCOLN MERCURY 4.6L 5.4L 6.8L Reman ac compressor | eBay

A/C Compressor Clutch Hub MOTORCRAFT YB-3040 | eBay

Last edited:
Oh sorry I missed that. And ya steeda make a pulley and bracket that should replace it.

Btw those are like counter weights. When u said plate in front, I assumed u didn't realize this was the clutch. If u can get to a a.c. machine it's not a major job

Btw those are like counter weights. When u said plate in front, I assumed u didn't realize this was the clutch. If u can get to a a.c. machine it's not a major job
Thanks Fuzzmancometh! I do not have access to a ac machine. I will check the Ford CD and see what they say re" re&re hub or complete compressor

Looked into this, it require 3 or more special tools to re & re AC clutch. quicker to replace the compressor or just get the bypass pulley.

For now I disconnected the wiring harness at the top of the compressor. What is the wiring harness at the bottom driver side? It doesn't look like it is attached to the compressor but right beside it.

Just replace the clutch/pulley it's easy
Only special tool I remember was a snap ring pliers
Also much cheaper

Just replace the clutch/pulley it's easy
Only special tool I remember was a snap ring pliers
Also much cheaper
I was going by the CD manual. I have seen these suggest tools and extra steps not needed. most likely so the tech can do it the fastest way possible.
I was thinking just to put in the bypass pulley, as I haven't used the A/C in the 3 years that I've had the M8. If I removed the compressor, hoses, dryer etc. it would free up some room in the engine compartment.

As long as the wiring harness is disconnected (clutch won't engage) it is fine to drive the M8 until I replace the unit with a reman or a bypass pulley, correct?

Members online

Back