Another Good Bye

pragmatic

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well after 14 years and 158K miles (plus the 38K it had when I purchased it) as my main vehicle, I have bought the replacement for my 2000 LS V6 MT.

For the first time in my life I will own a car with an automatic transmission a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 with 60K miles. The Lincoln will stick around for a little while but will likely be sold in the Fall.

The Lincoln has served me well, but the rear is humming quite loudly and the underbody rust is getting very extensive.

For a second there, thought you were describing my wife to me. Huh? WTF?

Good deal on the JAG, nice upgrade for sure. You'll still be around. It's hard to quit LVC cold turkey and they don't make a patch for it yet, so ... Good luck :p could always try and Vape your way out.

Sorry to hear you are moving away from a Lincoln. Couldnt have made a better choice than upgrading to a Jaguar of the Ford years of course.

I am an XJ8 owner myself and the X350 04-07 are the best years made in my opinion for a modern Jaguar. Thank Fords budget for research and testing that allows those beautiful cars to be reliable. You should have great luck with it. Only problem areas are VVT seals, they break apart and allow a rattle (not to be confused with timing tension-er rattle that had been on the previous 4.0l version engine) at startup until oil is adequately supplied up top. You can fix it or leave it if it appears. Usually doesnt hurt anything majority of cases. The only other real headache is the air compressor for the CATS system. They dont last long and youll find yourself replacing a few if you keep the car for 100-150k. Arnott makes an aftermarket pump cheaper than Jaguar and it seems to work for others I know.

Besides those two problem areas the X350s are great. I drive one daily with 190k and the other one I have has 92k. Both 04 models and never an issue with either.

Good luck and enjoy.

I did not have good luck with Arnott front air struts on my Lincoln Mark VIII and would personally not buy their products again.

Arnott makes an aftermarket pump cheaper than Jaguar and it seems to work for others I know.

According to my experience, it'll worth more if you tear it apart and sell parts on eBay. Because even a console arm rest is marked more than $80 there.

Will do. Right now I've purchased two extra remotes with keys. I've got the remotes programmed but am having a hard time finding an independent locksmith who can cut the tibbe type key.

Will do. Right now I've purchased two extra remotes with keys. I've got the remotes programmed but am having a hard time finding an independent locksmith who can cut the tibbe type key.

The Jaguar Dealer is your best friend when you own a Jaguar. A Jaguar isnt a car most independent shops have the slightest idea about and most will turn you away back to the dealer just because. No aftermarket for the Jags and even if an independent shop will work on it all parts come from Jaguar so you may only get a break on the labor when all is said and done.

You are not too far from Plainville CT. There is a place called Motorcars Inc out there that works on primarily Jaguar. They are great and thats where all my work goes when its something I dont feel like doing or dont have the specialty tools for. It is 1.5h from me but I make the trip there before trusting the car to anyone else even my local Jaguar dealer whos techs only know 2010 and newer models. I have not had any issues with my 04's but my 99 XJ8 with all its problems had been to Motorcars Inc many times.

Right now my LS has a check engine light (secondary air) on and is out of inspection. I know the fix for the light. Once I have the car legal I will place it up for sale. It has made several trips to VT (500 miles round trip) this winter, the last being April 1st.

The sale will be my 2000 LS (running fine, but rusty and with a loud rear end) V6 MT 196K miles and a parts car another 2000 LS V6 MT which has 70K miles and some bent valves from overheating. I'm in the middle of pulling the head on the parts car to see if there is any other damage besides the bent valves. The lower mileage car has less rust than mine but I have not driven it or heard it run.

Members online

Back