Dyno Tune

if he is a *competent* tuner, he should be able to do any car, pretty much. if he is hesitant
about doing it, then drop tail and haul arse outta there. find someone who can.

Ills and Torey where the only two I remember (would have to search for contacts)... I have a gut locally who does ford tunes and did his personal LS from my understanding... Can share contact info if needed.

Ills has been out of the game for a little while now, but last I knew, Torrie was still offering them out.

Torrie is still available, and did mine for me in June. No complaints on the tune. I would recommend him, and you can always then go to an SCT tuner /dyno in your area and work from Torries tune as a baseline if you think it needs refining. One comment - dont expect a lot of conversation out of Torrie.

Also, when I had my LS at the dealer for its final visit under Ford ESP care - the tech even told me "the car has a tune on it if you didn't already know. But fuel trims and everything else look great, and it goes pretty good" So that may say something about Torries knowledge on the platform. The best part of the tune is the trans settings honestly, and a little more oomph off the line. Torrie did a lot of pioneering on this ECU/TCU for the LS, so he is a great starting point. :D

don't know if it changed but it was 3 for $150, or pretty much buy the SCT tuner from him and get the tunes included for about the same as retail.

Yup - I got one tune included with my sale, additional were extra, $150 for 3 sounds correct, based on his website.

How do you get in touch with torrie to get the tunes? I just got my x4 and finally ready to turn my '06 up a bit.

On that site it says 3 tunes are $200 instead of $150. Have you bought them from there or are you guessing? I just want to be sure

I was qouted $150/3 but that was a few years ago when I was still interested in spending money on the LS... as with anything, prices may have gone up.

How do you get in touch with torrie to get the tunes? I just got my x4 and finally ready to turn my '06 up a bit.

Found my email to him from over 6 years ago when I had my gen1, and hit reply. This way he would recognize I was a previous/old customer. He replied right away. I order my X4, it showed up and I sent him the LS ecu info. One day later I had a tune to upload to the device, and i was chirping second in no time.

I ordered from him a couple days ago. Literally took about 25 minute to get the files from him after i sent the info. Im in love with the car all over again. Best money i spent on the car in a while.

Well no luck on the HP tune system, after some more probing around it will only work on 04 & up. So I guees I'll be going with the SCT.

Do you/do they mean 03 and up? Is it because of the change to CAN bus?

It's a decent chunk of money to spend if you have no power adders. The tune alone only adds a small touch of torque and horsepower, probably enough to compensate for wear losses over the years. If you ask for parameters to be unlocked, you can adjust transmission shift point and firmness settings. This really changes the feel of the car and what makes it worth it. You can also change the top speed limiter (make sure your tires are speed rated), idle in gear/out of gear speed, richen/lean the fuel mixture slightly, and adjust spark timing throughout the RPM range.
I have never dealt with him, but hear he has great customer service. Make sure he's willing to go back and adjust the tune up to a year later so that you can experience it in all weather situations. You don't want a bunch of preignition from overadvanced timing that only rears its head in the summer. Tell him your concerned about pinging and ask him what parameters to log so he can look at it and adjust. This should be done in the first few days, but he should still be willing to go back later on (make note of the pids to log so you can do it on hot/humid day).
I have a street tune and a track tune. Track tune actually backs off timing since I'm spraying nitrous, plus I can tweak air/fuel as needed so I get a little more for my purchase. I also bought a used Xcal2 for cheap which should work. This will save you some $ or let you afford another tune file.

Members online

No members online now.
Back