Parts compatibility

IcedLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm new here, so hello to all. I'm not however, new to the LS. I got 3 2002 black on black LS, one of them being an LSE. Sold my first one which was a V8 and now I'm down to two.

My LSe is ready to bite the dust. Rocker panels are past gone and the engine and tranny have 265,000 km on them.

My third LS is a V6 and has only 140,000 km. I'm going to keep this one.

Ok so now you know me. Here's my question. The 02 v6 i want to keep is basic. The dash doesn't have the message centre, the seats have a dumb looking knob in the front to adjust stiffness, and the shifter isn't triptronic. I want to take all the upgraded parts from the lse and put it into this v6. Will it work?

I attached some pics of my LS's. The slammed one was my first. LSE second. And the 2002 license plate I just picked up so no other pics yet except from the dealer.

e8371682665d9fe77a6319dcaf36cb8c.jpg

e036fbdf8db0e5a7b080956e82d29b70.jpg

5c0ebbbfb68745881a96eec8ebc6882d.jpg

Looks like your first LS had the LSE grille, but the LSE had the gunmetal teeth painted black.

"tiptronic" (Select Shift) requires the right shifter and a reflash of the PCM. Early swaps reported it was easy to get a dealer to change the code, but a recent reverse-swap (installed the PRND321 shifter) had to jump through hoops to get it done.

The message center is not compatible with V6s. At least, no one has bothered to figure out if it's possible. In the very least, it'd require the gauge cluster as well since it uses the lower right screen. I'd doubt the wires are in place in the V6 for the buttons.

I'm not sure about the seats, but I would imagine that's the easiest of the 3 you asked about to swap. Worse case scenario, you just run some extra power wires. I don't have a wiring diagram. I've never seen the powerless seat. Is it also manual recline and slide? If so, you'd probably have to run all of the wires yourself

Yea. I'm kicking myself now for not taking off the grille and putting back the stock grille. I think I picked up that grille at lsconceptz when they were around.

What about the rear view mirror; The 6 has no compass or auto dim, I'm guessing the wires aren't present for a quick swap either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have manual seat adjustments. It will require at the very least a wiring harness; as well as, obviously, power seats. They are also tied to a memory function so you'd probably need a new door panel.

The message center can not at all be retrofitted; at least not for less than new LS would cost! The sensor aren't there and you would need a new cluster as well as the appropriate wiring harness'.

You can easily add the SST shifter (the transmissions are the same). Without programming you will lose D4. If you can find a mechanic willing to do it, I can give the instructions. They are also in a thread here somewhere (on my BMW I actually was able to program in the Sport Automatic Transmission as the physical ZF transmission is the same across the board).

IMHO you're better off selling this one and finding a low mileage '06.

I have all the parts from my fully loaded 02 lse that I'm getting rid of. Seats, mirrors, cluster, shifter, body panels, etc. But I guess if it's too much in terms of electronics then I guess I'll just scrap the idea.

Less electronics, less electrical problems. It's no wonder the '91 corrola's are still outlasting the modern day sedan lol.

Don't like how the 2nd gen looks. If I can make a 2nd gen look like a 1st gen in terms of body, I'll do it tomorrow.

You have manual seat adjustments. It will require at the very least a wiring harness; as well as, obviously, power seats. They are also tied to a memory function so you'd probably need a new door panel.

Depends on whether they want as-built function or just power seats. But still, I just can't see it being worth it

You can easily add the SST shifter (the transmissions are the same). Without programming you will lose D4. If you can find a mechanic willing to do it, I can give the instructions.

I thought the actual +/- commands don't work until the programming is done. If they do work as-is, I'd rather wire in my own relays and go with paddle shifters

... Something I just noticed. The pictured car has a Sport front bumper, but is missing the Sport shifter? Which part is wrong?

Don't like how the 2nd gen looks. If I can make a 2nd gen look like a 1st gen in terms of body, I'll do it tomorrow.

So all you need is the headlights, header panel, trunk, rear bumper, and tail lights to make you happy....?

... Something I just noticed. The pictured car has a Sport front bumper, but is missing the Sport shifter? Which part is wrong?

The one I just picked up with the 2002 license plate has had its front bumper changed. The rear is still with the chrome. Bought it like that.

1ffaf0fbb82e7081c8222e4cc16f3661.jpg
e9f8f1716f41270c2e32840620e3683e.jpg

Have a look at a side view of the car, you'll see what I mean. And then the shifter inside.

So all you need is the headlights, header panel, trunk, rear bumper, and tail lights to make you happy....?

Pretty much. These LS's are just toys for me. There not my daily drivers. My first LS I put just over 10 grand into just music; just for fun.

But on a serious note, is that all that needs to be changed from a 2nd gen to make it look like a 1st gen?

The one I just picked up with the 2002 license plate has had its front bumper changed. The rear is still with the chrome. Bought it like that.

But on a serious note, is that all that needs to be changed from a 2nd gen to make it look like a 1st gen?

I figured as much, just thought I'd point it out.

It all depends on what aspects you want from Gen 1s. I'll let you know now, putting Gen 1 parts on a Gen 2 is as popular as putting the non-SST shifter in a Sport (it's not popular).

That being said, what aspects do you want from the Gen 1? Headlights: they'll fit as-is, but swapping the header panel lines everything up properly and elimates the gap you'd have otherwise. Fog lights: you could probably find a way to swap just the lights. We can put G2 fogs in G1 bumpers, but no guarantees on the reverse. Tail lights: just want all-red lenses? Use cheap tint or hunt for an LSE. Want larger trunk lights? Swap trunk lids. You can get away with a G2 lid and a G1 bumper, but not the reverse, so add in the G1 bumper. It has to do with the width of the license surround. You'll probably want to either swap G1 outer tails (interchangeable) or tint the two-tones

That's about all I can think of in terms of major visual differences... chrome around the windows? Forget it, nobody likes that. Gauge display? You could swap gauge faces if you really wanted.

Buy a low mileage 06 and swap the bumpers, trunk lid, and side skirts from your 02 LSE. The 'gen 2 to gen 1 LSE conversion' is something i have thought about doing with my LSE. I do hope you realize how rare the body parts are on the 02 LSE, the front bumper is as rare as a rainbow colored big foot unicorn fairy.

I thought the actual +/- commands don't work until the programming is done. If they do work as-is, I'd rather wire in my own relays and go with paddle shifters

They do. All the wires are present in both sport and non-sport harnesses. The wires have different locations in the shifter connector, and there's a different wire to signal the sport throw was engaged vs the 3 throw.
Paddle shifters have been done, there's a thread on here.

That's about all I can think of in terms of major visual differences... chrome around the windows? Forget it, nobody likes that. Gauge display? You could swap gauge faces if you really wanted.

Thanks for the lengthy reply. It's posts like these that answer questions without judging that make people stick around forums. You made me feel welcome here. Thanks for that.

I'll be on a hunt for a low mileage 06 to start this project. I'm running out of driveway and garage space lol. Keep you posted.

I'll leave you with another pic of my first LS.

3c2da4225761a2ad027662cc55a6fd10.jpg

As promised, I went looking for a low mileage 06 black on black, and found one. Mint condition, driven and maintained by seniors. Has only 160,000 km on it which is not very low, but low enough considering previous owners. No engine light and drives as smooth as my 06 navigator.

It was the only one in the entire 500 km radius from where I live that was for sale, so I tried to bargain with them but really and truly, I was ready to pay asking price of $4800 CDN (which is what I ended up paying for it). Don't want to insure it yet as insurance for me is close to $500/month and I've already got 3 cars insured.

Now to start ripping apart the other two LS body parts to make this look like a gen 1 on the outside. I hope the parts are interchangeable like what was mentioned previously.

Let me know what everyone thinks and if I should start a new thread for this project. My 4th LS and 5th Lincoln :)

dd7897dd1a3305740253d5b00a4755c4.jpg

e98f7f750cdd3182b299f223a8a0f3d1.jpg

As promised, I went looking for a low mileage 06 black on black, and found one. Mint condition, driven and maintained by seniors. Has only 160,000 km on it which is not very low, but low enough considering previous owners. No engine light and drives as smooth as my 06 navigator.

It was the only one in the entire 500 km radius from where I live that was for sale, so I tried to bargain with them but really and truly, I was ready to pay asking price of $4800 CDN (which is what I ended up paying for it). Don't want to insure it yet as insurance for me is close to $500/month and I've already got 3 cars insured.

Now to start ripping apart the other two LS body parts to make this look like a gen 1 on the outside. I hope the parts are interchangeable like what was mentioned previously.

Let me know what everyone thinks and if I should start a new thread for this project. My 4th LS and 5th Lincoln :)

dd7897dd1a3305740253d5b00a4755c4.jpg

e98f7f750cdd3182b299f223a8a0f3d1.jpg

Looks like a set of Jag wheels...

New thread...

Should be nothing more than bumper covers, lights, headlight header piece, trunk and license plate surround. Fenders are the same.

Members online

Back