2003 Lincoln LS, opening trunk with dead battery

WereTeddy

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I've got a problem. My battery is dead and my trunk latch won't disengage with the key so I can't jump it.

I figure I have two options, either find another way to jump it or another way to open the trunk. After some browing aroung here, there doesn't seem to be another way to jump it, which leaves getting the trunk open. Does anyone know of a way besides the release button inside the car or key entry from the exterior? The owner's manual says that there's a key cylinder located behind the driver's seat, but I haven't had any luck finding it. Anyone able to help, with that or other suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance!

I believe that you are misreading the manual. Could you quote that section and post it here?
The trunk release with the key in the trunk lid is completely mechanical. Having or not having a dead battery does not alter its operation. Are you trying to open it with the valet key? That would explain it not working.

There are still plenty of ways to open it electrically, and those have been explored here. In short:

1. Use one of those mini-jump things that plug into the power-port or cigarette lighter. After several minutes (with the doors closed) you should have enough charge in the battery for the trunk button on the dash to work.

2. Get under the front of the car and attach jumpers cables. The positive cable goes to the "B" terminal on the starter, and the negative to a good bare metal ground nearby. (The other ends of the cables to a working battery (in or out of another car) of course. Now, the button on the dash should work.

3. If you can't get under the front, there is a power pass-though stud hidden behind the front passenger side wheel well splash guard. It's also accessible in the cabin by pulling the carpet back on the passenger side at the front.

By far, option 1 is easier and safer.

Look man, this happened to me a dozen times. And my car's lid is not the original one so keys won't work. Get a long flat head screw driver. Go over the back seat, next to those brackets it has, pull the seat gently and stick the screw driver in there, play around with the latch until it opens, then go into the trunk and pull the glowing handle.
I won't get to my car till tomorrow. I will record a video to show you how to. If by then you haven't opened it of course.

I believe that you are misreading the manual. Could you quote that section and post it here?
The trunk release with the key in the trunk lid is completely mechanical. Having or not having a dead battery does not alter its operation. Are you trying to open it with the valet key? That would explain it not working.

It's page 220 of the manual in the section where it talks about jumping your vehicle, right at the very start. It says "In the event of battery failure, you can open the trunk by using your master key on the key cylinder located behind the driver’s seat." (The bold section is bold in the manual as well.)

It very well could be talking about the lock on the trunk lid itself, but it's strange wording if that is so. And I'm certain I'm using the proper key. My valet key has grey plastic. As for why the lock doesn't engage with the key despite being mechanical, I don't know. I have had problems with my trunk lid in the past, from what I suspect is something hitting it and not reporting it, but I usually use the button or my key fob and haven't had any problems with the latch releasing for those.

Thank you very much for the jumping options though. I must've overlooked them. Option 1 certainly does sound best. It's raining pretty heavily here today, so I probably won't be able to jump it until later tonight or tomorrow.

Look man, this happened to me a dozen times. And my car's lid is not the original one so keys won't work. Get a long flat head screw driver. Go over the back seat, next to those brackets it has, pull the seat gently and stick the screw driver in there, play around with the latch until it opens, then go into the trunk and pull the glowing handle.
I won't get to my car till tomorrow. I will record a video to show you how to. If by then you haven't opened it of course.

If I can't get the trunk open another way, I'll give that a try. I find it odd that there's no release for that latch inside the cabin as well, but I suppose there isn't for safety reasons.

I thought the same the first time, not I am a pro at opening it lol, matter of fact.. after the second time it happened to me I keep a flat head in my glove compartment. Its easy and there is little to no risk of damaging anything, unless you really want to.

It's page 220 of the manual in the section where it talks about jumping your vehicle, right at the very start. It says "In the event of battery failure, you can open the trunk by using your master key on the key cylinder located behind the driver’s seat." (The bold section is bold in the manual as well.)...

Interesting. They eliminated that statement from the 04/05/06 manuals. Clearly it's a misprint. They may have meant the trunk switch in the dash (in front of the seat), but that wouldn't do any good if the battery was completely dead.

cables become disconnected or rusted from the key cyclinder to latch on the trunk lid (make sure you check when you get it open)

do Either the jumper pack

or

flathead on the seat latch in the back... (I did this in under a min my first try)...

DO NOT USE SHEARS TO OPEN!!!! (old thread)

Dynamite. Works perfect everytime.

Just mind the shrapnel.

My key lock on the 04 LSE trunk was stiff to turn and wouldn't go. Dead battery and decided to jack the passenger side up, turned wheel out, pulled splash guard and attached positive to jumping post, ground to chasis and I was able to pop the trunk again. Easily done but some effort needed.

It was once argued that power post up front was not for jump starting the car but obviously it can be done.

Would have made a whole lot more sense to put it under the hood readily accessible, plenty of room somewhere for a covered protected terminal post.

It's a power pass-through point ("Junction Block"). They had to get the power from the battery in the trunk through the cabin to the starter under the hood. Instead of just passing the cable through, they made a connection point so that the wiring that was already attached to the engine could be joined to the wiring that was already attached to the car, when they installed the engine. It's as simple as that. If you really must use that point, why not just pull the carpet back a little and attach from in the cabin? No wheel to move or splash guard to remove.
It's not designed as a jump point. You can use it that way, but then you can also use the "B" terminal on the starter (of any car, really) as well. Do you also insist on calling that terminal a jump point?

Would have made a whole lot more sense to put it under the hood readily accessible, plenty of room somewhere for a covered protected terminal post.

of course they could have... but that only adds parts which add to the cost which is only necessary if you have another failure (of the rear lock cylinder) in the car that doesn't get resolved properly.

In reality all lock cylinders should get a little oil annually to prevent issues like these lockouts. Another option is to disable the locking mechanism on the smaller rear seat. Unless you have child seats strapped in I don't see the harm.

honestly, I have always left mine unlatched so they can just be folded down when needed, unless of course some one actually sits back there, then I usually unlatch it after they get out.

There are still plenty of ways to open it electrically, and those have been explored here. In short:

1. Use one of those mini-jump things that plug into the power-port or cigarette lighter. After several minutes (with the doors closed) you should have enough charge in the battery for the trunk button on the dash to work.

2. Get under the front of the car and attach jumpers cables. The positive cable goes to the "B" terminal on the starter, and the negative to a good bare metal ground nearby. (The other ends of the cables to a working battery (in or out of another car) of course. Now, the button on the dash should work.

3. If you can't get under the front, there is a power pass-though stud hidden behind the front passenger side wheel well splash guard. It's also accessible in the cabin by pulling the carpet back on the passenger side at the front.

By far, option 1 is easier and safer.

I am now stuck with the same situation, I cant open the lock because the lock mechanism is jammed or something, at least it doesn't unlatch with the key and the battery is drained, can you advise me is the plug to charge the battery though the cigarette lighter anything special or can I make one out of cutting the end off a old cell phone charger and attaching booster cables to it, or does it need a trickle charger to avoid damaging any electronic components using this method?

Alternatively can anyone take me through step by step how to release the trunk through the back seat area? my worry is that the solenoid may not be able to unlatch the lock even if I charge the battery sufficiently if something is physically jamming it ( I was in the process of changing the trunk lock tumbler when it started to rain so closed everything up, rod is still attached and tumbler still bolted in, I might have unplugged the electrical connector, I cant remember)

I think I will make a auxillary terminal set up in the engine compartment after this to prevent this type of issue in the future

Thanks

Ron Sircar

can you advise me is the plug to charge the battery though the cigarette lighter anything special or can I make one out of cutting the end off a old cell phone charger and attaching booster cables to it, or does it need a trickle charger to avoid damaging any electronic components using this method?

If you gut the adapter, sure. But the wire coming out of a cigarette charger is 5v, not 12v, so you don't want to just connect a USB wire to jumpers. Open it up and you'll be able to solder directly to the contacts' leads.

The power level should be fine as long as you make sure as many things are turned off as possible (headlights, ignition, etc). Close the door if you can. Jumper boxes usually have a cigarette lighter outlet on them for the dual purpose of remotely powering chargers and jumping cars' trunk buttons with a simple cig-to-cig wire.

It's a cigarette lighter up front, so the fuse should be high enough to handle the initial jump

It's a cigarette lighter up front, so the fuse should be high enough to handle the initial jump

as long as your just trying to charge the battery with a charger less than the 20 amp fuse, it will work.

I thought the same the first time, not I am a pro at opening it lol, matter of fact.. after the second time it happened to me I keep a flat head in my glove compartment. Its easy and there is little to no risk of damaging anything, unless you really want to.

Hi

I am having no luck in trying to unlatch the rear seat on my 2003 Lincoln LS to get the trunk open

I believe the key tumbler in the trunk lid is no longer connected to the latch as I can turn it but it doesn't release

Can you or anyone on here please post step by step instructions on how to release the rear seat to get into the trunk? my battery is dead and I really need to get this thing going again

Thanks

I already explained how. First timer? Its gonna piss you off a little bit unless you get lucky, but really, its easy. Grab 2 flat heads, not too short ones, slightly pull the seat towards the front of the car with your hand, stick the longest flathead behind the seat and SLIGHTLY pull towards the front of the car to separate the seat from the latch, don't pull too much be careful here. Once you see where the latch is, stick the other flathead straight from abobe and play with it, next thing you know it pops open.

Members online

Back