Re&Re - Jag Aluminum Upgraded Thermostat housing - GEN 1 V8

Running with the system depressurized under most non-adverse circumstances will not result in any harm, other than the faster evaporation of coolant.
It will also not result in any advantage other than possibly being able to put off replacing some parts for another week or two. They will still deteriorate and fail. Even Don realizes this. He replaced his plastic parts.

THANK YOU!!!

I've been waiting so long for this statement "specifically" from you!

Running with the system depressurized under most non-adverse circumstances will not result in any harm, other than the faster evaporation of coolant.
It will also not result in any advantage other than possibly being able to put off replacing some parts for another week or two. They will still deteriorate and fail. Even Don realizes this. He replaced his plastic parts.

Would it be best to remove the gasket in the cap or loosen the cap?

Okay,Joe! Where'd you read I replaced my plastic parts? ONLY the thermostat and housing new from Ford and my old housing and thermostat are perfectly fine.I don't know where you got that?BigRig I understand doesn't `get it',but you almost always hit the mark. don-ohio :)^)

Would it be best to remove the gasket in the cap or loosen the cap?

Best to loosen the cap,KidL,since you need the pressure to bleed the system initially(according to the bleed procedure). Loosen it about 3/4 turn where it is loose,but not falling off. No need to try it without at least a 60% antifreeze,40% water mix. don-ohio

... BigRig I understand doesn't `get it' ...

What is it I'm not getting? You making claim and recommending to other LS owners that if you loosen the degas bottle cap it won't deteriorate your plastic cooling system? Yet you've replaced perfectly good parts and keep those in the trunk as spares?

Yeah, your right, THAT I don't understand.

What I DO understand is that your all plastic cooling system is just like all the others and is NOT special in any shape or form just because you think running it with the degas cap loosened will result in no plastics heat cycling deterioration as it ages.

~ BTW, thousand thanks for also adding your "depressurized" garbage in this "Re&Re - Jag Aluminum Upgraded Thermostat housing - GEN 1 V8" thread.

Way to spread that fairy tale dust :Bang

Using the plural again proves my point,BR.You don't read correctly. DID NOT replace plural parts..................just went with Ford's therm housing and put the good one in the trunk. Found a bargain on the outlet pipe on ebay,so threw it in the trunk too. I LOVE being able to fix my car when others are ordering parts and waiting for days to get them.
Had an old F-100 I used to abuse daily in concrete work. Always kept a spare rear wheel bearing in the tool box,since they failed quite often. remember repairing it once on the way back from Gallipolis. The guy riding with me told his brother,those Ruggles guys are MECHANICS! don-ohio :)^)

Using the plural again proves my point,BR.You don't read correctly. DID NOT replace plural parts ...

Actually, I read just fine, READ all your garbage clearly!

No,you must just scan it and fil in the blanks with your assumptions.Remember ASS-U-ME makes an ASS out of U and ME? Quit assuming.You're operating on the assumption that if you repeat misinformation(I'm being kind here), it becomes true.You keep saying I replaced multiple plastic parts,yet you won't admit you are wrong when I call you on it. don-ohio :)^)

No I did not "keep saying" that Don! You however keep on mentioning all over this forum on as many as possible threads for people to go ahead and loosen their degas bottle caps thereby run a depressurized cooling system which in turn along with your 60/40 mixture will result in not blowing out aging heat cycled deteriorating plastic doomed-to-fail-anyhow cooling system parts. You spout all over, the fact that your LS cooling system will never or has not to date presented itself as a problem. YET ... we find you here and there making mention of replacing parts .... oh yes, I forgot, you simply like to replace good parts so you can keep the old ones in the trunk because there was really nothing wrong with them.

We believe you! (almost)

There you go again,as Reagan would have told you. Using the plural. Go get some fish oil to help your brain synapses fire. don-ohio :)^)

Reagan ... Using the plural ... get some fish oil ...

Great rebuttal Don!

What about that "lets recommend to run with a loose degas bottle cap", "will prevent plastic cooling systems from failing" discussion? What about how you've been replacing some plastic cooling system parts, keeping left overs and spares in your trunk? Ah yes, I get it ... that was just some tales of the Don ... Got it!

BigRig's faux pas: `..... you've been replacing some plastic cooling system parts,......

There you go again with the plural. Get that Fish oil on the double before you stroke out! LOL! don-ohio :)^)

Great rebuttal Don!

As I read correctly ... you picked up a fill neck cap, a thermostat and housing as well as an inlet tube which was too good of a deal to pass up and picked it up just to put it in the trunk.

You specified you had to redo the thermostat and was frying it up in boiling water to test it ... let me see here ... oh yeah, you instructed that a degas bottle was only 138$ in your neck of the woods. Then there was the lovely "I'm running 60/40" and those who are not are fools." So we've had a few things apart and tested plus refilled all for no good reason because there was never a problem with your loose degas bottle cap running less pressure, cooling system and you just like to change parts out and keep a few in the trunk.

Wasn't overheating ... just replacing part or parts for the fun of it ... Fascinating!

You're counting the fill cap as a part?
(1)The old fill cap is in the trunk in perfect condition. It only needed an O ring.
(2)Never WAS a problem,BR.....I only replaced the thermostat and housing because it was easy to do while I had the water pump,idler pulley,tensioner and drive belt outta the way.
(3) Remember I was going to Florida that week?When I heard that pulley noise of some kind I did the SMART thing by replacing those pulleys and the water pump.
(4)There WAS NEVER a problem with any plastic part.There STILL isn't. Put that in your pipe and smoke it,BR.LOL! don-ohio :)^)

(5) P.S.: `No pressure' got old KidL to work! YAY! Go get some fish oil.I'm not kidding!

LOL! But you DID do it! I'm proud of you whether you like it or not! don-ohio :)^)

+1 for the thermostat housing - got mine off Amazon $46 bucks. Pretty amazing to have my dealer that installed it agree its better (they hate doing non ford of course). Thanks OP

Members online

No members online now.
Back