Re&Re - Jag Aluminum Upgraded Thermostat housing - GEN 1 V8

RigsLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
On the Thermostat housing, you're going to find ....

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

... that the two back bolts (5/16") are a PITA to get at ...

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

.. without the right tool.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

A 5/16" or 8mm swivel ratchet wrench would also do the job.

attachment.jpg

When you snap it loose and begin to back the bolt out, it's going to raise
and start bumping into the black housing of the intake (round black disk).

attachment.jpg

You'll want to switch to an open end wrench to help it along until it does bump into the black plastic housing.

I was able to lean the Thermostat Housing forward and backwards a bit while lifting up on it ...
and with a pair of needle nose pliers make the remaining few turns to loosen the bolts completely.

Careful not to drop anything down into the housing intake chamber. That would suck!

The two back bolts need to either be replaced with something shorter or shaved down a bit as to ease installation.

attachment.jpg

I opted to just put two of the set of bolts on the grinder and shaved them down and sandblasted them to clean up the rust a bit.

On the Thermostat housing, you're going to find ....

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

... that the two back bolts (5/16") are a PITA to get at ...

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

.. without the right tool.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

When you snap it loose and begin to back the bolt out, it's going to raise
and start bumping into the black housing of the intake (round black disk).

attachment.jpg

You'll want to switch to an open end wrench to help it along until it does bump into the black plastic housing.

I was able to lean the Thermostat Housing forward and backwards a bit while lifting up on it ...
and with a pair of needle nose pliers make the remaining few turns to loosen the bolts completely.

Careful not to drop anything down into the housing intake chamber. That would suck!

The two back bolts need to either be replaced with something shorter or shaved down a bit as to ease installation.

attachment.jpg

I opted to just put two of the set of bolts on the grinder and shaved them down and sandblasted them to clean up the rust a bit.

Hi - thanks for your very useful info. Can you tell me where to find that nice 5/16 drop/offset wrench you pictured. I'm not a mechanic and need all the help I can get making this tstat housing r&r. I'm waiting for the $44 alum ADKIT from Rockauto - should be here in a couple days. Thanks.

UPDATE: including P/N to post.

ÜRO PARTS Part # NCE2247ADKIT = Jaguar Aluminum Thermostat housing (upgrade direct fit to 1st GEN LS)

RockAuto: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1363306&parttype=10337

~ Jag housing comes with new rubber O-rings, use those provided.
~ Use Lincoln LS brand thermostat not the Jaguar thermostat for that housing. (due to different release pressures)

Thread Revival...

I need to replace this part and I can't find that Brake Wrench ANYWHERE. I mean anywhere. I can't find anything comparable to it either.

I've used

-90Deg Long Nose Pliers
- 8 mm + 5/16 Wrenches
- 8 mm + 5/16 sockets
- Straight Pliers

Nothing seems to get these back bolts to move at all.

Funny thing is, I've taken two off of two different junk yard cars in which were a bit older than mine. So i'm not sure how it's that I can not get it off of mine.

I went to the dealer and asked a Mech. He claimed he just worked on one 2 weeks ago and pulled the plenum up. I"m trying to avoid that seeing as how I know for a fact it can be done without it.

Any advice?!?

My thread on the cap are broken and missing, so I'm losing mass amounts of coolant!!

Dorman makes a thermostat???

I assumed you meant the degas cap. Anyway, yes they do make a thermostat assembly for the LS (2n gen anyway), and those who have used it have had mixed results.

I assumed you meant the degas cap. Anyway, yes they do make a thermostat assembly for the LS (2n gen anyway), and those who have used it have had mixed results.

oh, weeeeelll this thread is for the "Thermostat housing, Gen 1" lol. #Fail

... can't find that Brake Wrench ANYWHERE. I mean anywhere ...

If you click those links I supplied, yes the sales are over but at the bottom it suggests more of the identical sale item.

A quick search using eBay for a Brake Bleeder Wrench 5/16"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAC-Tools-S...:g:ke0AAOSwKtVW0OIW&item=391405387673&vxp=mtr

^ cheapest

Use a swivel ratchet instead, should work just as good.

Honestly, it was listed as an option in my original post. Even a picture of said swivel ratchet wrench was included.

Honestly, it was listed as an option in my original post. Even a picture of said swivel ratchet wrench was included.
Yes. We know. We can read. I just couldn't locate any tools needed for the job at any store.

I'm just going to list what I used and did just incase someone can't get to that wrench. That's all.

Don't get Dorman,get Ford part here.NO reason I should've had trouble with the brand new Dorman thermostat,but it was junk. don-ohio :)^)

Yes. We know. We can read. I just couldn't locate any tools needed for the job at any store.

Right but you failed doing so as I clearly had a swivel ratchet listed in the original instructions.

You posted an "update" that one could simply use a swivel ratchet to complete this job ... which you deleted, followed by a "We can read" comment.

well played Sir!

Don't get Dorman,get Ford part here.NO reason I should've had trouble with the brand new Dorman thermostat,but it was junk. don-ohio :)^)

Don, why is it you make claim to have a perfect "non-pressurized" cooling system and yours will never or has not to date presented an issue, yet in the back ground you are replacing parts after all? Right ... in the past few weeks I've read post where you mentioned replacing the fill cap, now a Dorman thermostat possibly even housing included. Could it be you are experiencing problems with your aging "non-pressurized" all plastic LS cooling system after all? I think so! Going to tell us you like to keep spares around just in case? (again)

I got an oem one

The direct fit Jaguar Aluminum thermostat housing is/was cheaper brand new vs. OEM.

... but I can only assume you are sourcing used OEM parts from the two different junk yard cars you mentioned previously.

You are fixing this cooling system repair with used parts?

BigRig wrote: `Don, why is it you make claim to have a perfect "non-pressurized" cooling system and yours will never or has not to date presented an issue, yet in the back ground you are replacing parts after all? Right ... in the past few weeks I've read post where you mentioned replacing the fill cap, now a Dorman thermostat possibly even housing included. Could it be you are experiencing problems with your aging "non-pressurized" all plastic LS cooling system after all? I think so! Going to tell us you like to keep spares around just in case? (again)

Big Rig......the car had a bad idler pulley and some play in the water pump bearing. I replaced the parts....idler pulley,tensioner pulley,water pump,and fan belt,so WHY WOULDN'T I replace a thermostat while I'm into it? You would,I'll bet.
Then, the thermostat I had bought from Auto Zone would not open. I tested it in a pan to make sure.
So WHY WOULDN'T I go to Ford and get the factory part,when the aftermarket had failed as it did on another fellow which I didn't know about at the time.
I have a perfectly good thermostat housing(I told you nothing was wrong with the housing) and used thermostat in the wheel well in case say I get down into FL and have to have parts on a weekend or such. I ALSO saw the part that holds the thermostat housing on Ebay,Ford part, and bought it JUST IN CASE.
Get this,BR......I have had NO FAILURES yet of plastic parts. I don't expect any with my Unpressurized system.
I know you folks aren't lying about it too. I SAW your pics of rotted plastic parts,thanks BTW.....so only a fool would not have spare parts in his/her trunk when they drive the distances I do and can do all their own work like I can do. don-ohio :)^)

P.S. The fill cap had a bad O-ring,so I got a new fill cap from Ford,of course, and put the old one,which was perfectly fine, with a new o-ring in the trunk.

I know what I wrote Don ... and of course you did! Most believe you I'm sure!

I'm telling you the absolute truth,BR. I am not good at posting pics like you folks,but I can assure you there are perfectly fine used parts in my trunk with no cracks or discolorations to speak of.
You don't like me rubbing against the grain with my unpressurized systems.....that's fine. Run pressurized.Most people do. They also have a lot more trouble with their cooling systems than I ever have. don-ohio :)^)

Like replacing a thermostat on a Non-pressurized cooling system?

Members online

No members online now.
Back