How many Falures of Accel Coils. Anyone ?

jgscott

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
How many Failures of Accel Coils. Anyone ?

So any that did the Accel Coil conversion experience failure of the Coils.

Also have any had them a few years yet? Thanks.

That's great. I read some Mustang threads that said they had failures, and misfires with them, in a short time, just like the Ford COP's.

Please all others post responses that have used them please. Thanks

2 years with no failures. I've recently (past 3 months or so) developed a somewhat rough idle while in gear and not moving. I don't think this is a coil/plug issue but can't find anything definitive. Car runs fine in all other scenarios and idles smooth when not in gear. It's specifically while in gear and not moving that you get a mildly rough idle. Personally I think it's a sensor or that one noisy injector somewhere starting to mess up.

Keep it coming, so far 100%. This might be the only and last coil any LS owner needs.

People get scared when you have to leave the coil covers off. I dont know why they are worried, the mustangs do not have covers. If you push the mustang boot into the plug well the hole seals perfectly. However, constant removal of the boots can cause the flange on the boot to rip. The best part about the Accel COP's, IF you have a failure you can run down to oriellys and grab a COP off the shelf. A whole set of Accels cost around $200 from anywhere online. COP's at the dealer are $40-50 each. No brainer IMO

Keep it coming, so far 100%. This might be the only and last coil any LS owner needs.

I have to say that the Motorcraft and the Visteon coils that I have in my LSes have been in for longer than anyone has mentioned for their Accels so far. I think that while they may end up being better, so far this thread has only shown that they aren't terrible.

Joe, once again, have a very valid point. I believe that the MC or Vision COP's will prove to be more reliable in the long run. That said, MOST people that buy an LS dont have it long enuf to benefit from the added cost of the OEM brands. The MSD COP's may be a better COP than the Accels but their cost is approaching the cost for new Motorcraft COP's, $350iirc.

I tried ebay coils about 5 years ago at around 130K and immediately replaced them with all new Motorcraft coils from Max when he was around. They still seem to run fine despite a passenger side valve cover gasket leak into the plug wells, discovered while doing spark plugs this weekend. There's now 233K on the clock. On a side note, I have my plugs gapped to .039" rather than .044". Unknown how this might affect coil life.

... On a side note, I have my plugs gapped to .039" rather than .044". Unknown how this might affect coil life.

0.039" (1.0mm) is correct for the V8, 0.044" is just outside of the max tolerance (1.1mm). I'm sure it is a factor on coil life. Who said to use 0.044"?

Since when do you have to leave the coil cover off to put on Accel coils? :)

I had less then stellar experience with MC coils, and Visteon wasn't an option when I was looking. I figured if I went with Accel and just had to replace them twice as much as MC I would be doing just fine. So far no problems so here's to hoping they remain problem free.

0.039" (1.0mm) is correct for the V8, 0.044" is just outside of the max tolerance (1.1mm). I'm sure it is a factor on coil life. Who said to use 0.044"?
Got that from NGK website.

My manual does say .039"-.043"

If you use the accel boot and don't alter the plug, which sits at about a 30 degree angle, you can't fit the covers. If you use the old boots and cut the connector enough to bend it down flat, you can fit the covers.

The Accel boots have a wider flange that seals very tightly in the spark plug well. Too tight maybe. Mine have a lot of force on the coil bolts holding the Access down.

I have 1 year and about 5000 miles on mine, no issues

Kumba was referring to his Accels which he modified to fit under the coil covers. He has a thread on it. Cut, bend, re-epoxy and he used the factory boots. As for myself, i like the look and the fact they will stay cooler with the covers off.

Kumba was referring to his Accels which he modified to fit under the coil covers. He has a thread on it. Cut, bend, re-epoxy and he used the factory boots. As for myself, i like the look and the fact they will stay cooler with the covers off.

Oddly enough, the hardest part about that whole ordeal was switching the pins in the stupid connector. I think only 2 connectors out of 8 came apart correctly. That little red piece in the middle cracked in some way on the rest, and one connected cracked to the point that the pin wouldn't latch into the connector. Had to modify the connector and pin a little to get it to be retained securely since I had no spare connectors.

Modifying the coil was really pretty easy, just had to go slow when cutting away the old epoxy is all.

I had originally put them in without the covers and using Hite's adapters before I started looking at ways to modify them. I just really like the clean look of the covers myself. The appearance of the valve cover with the exposed loom and the mating area for the plug covers themselves just didn't quite look right to me once I got them on. I probably could have spent a while trying to tidy up the loom and install but am happy with the stealth install I did.

One option that I really think would be cool is to find a coil with the plug at the bottom and then just cut holes in the covers and have the back end of the coil pop up. above the covers. I think that would be a pretty awesome looking aesthetic to the engine bay. You could also possibly cut the radius of the hole in the cover an extra 1/8" to 1/4" and put some LED strips on the bottom side of the covers and get a neat visual effect. Black covers, yellow or red round coil popping up, with like a neon blue light glowing around the edge.

Combine that with the hacked together jaguar and lincoln engine cover with some LED's under it to light up the bundle of snakes on the intake. Where's are the show car guys who get all hot and bothered over this stuff?

I've seen the thread but had no idea it was Kumba. Oh you.

I like the open look as well. I might start plastidipping other engine bay parts yellow to match. Like the fusebox cover. And the hood release. Mmmmmm [joke]

I still have a new set of accels waiting to go on, this is great to read.

Accels so far have been a no brainer for me. Best $250 I've ever spent.

I have to say that the Motorcraft and the Visteon coils that I have in my LSes have been in for longer than anyone has mentioned for their Accels so far. I think that while they may end up being better, so far this thread has only shown that they aren't terrible.

yep, this.
ACCEL and MSD, generally speaking, are worse than motorcraft units.
these may be a, generally speaking, not crappy alternative to motorcraft in the future when motorcraft units are gone, but the Misses Sputters Dies acronym didn't appear from thin air.

the MSD/ACCEL coils usually have smaller wires and more turns in the coil. more coils means more voltage, but also more heat and a shorter lifespan.

ok heres the thing I'm missing. I and others have had failures of the Motorcraft plugs. Those are what Lincoln put in the car when they produced it. We know they fail in the LS. So I have not yet seen a post of a failure of the Accel's in the LS yet. I know they cant be 100%.

So again if you have the Accel's please post your results for us please Thanks.

time and mileage dude.
the motorcraft coils have lasted most of us 10 years or more. ours went to 130k or so, so that was about 14 years of use.

don't think anyone has had the accel coils for 13 or 14 years and 130k+ yet.

Members online

No members online now.
Back