New user DATC question

kkiley

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
1st post on the forum. 2005 LS with 88,000 miles. Car is about as perfect as it can be for being black and an '05. But my Defrost plenum has stopped working and I cannot get the DATC Self Test to work. I hit the Off and Defrost then Auto and nothing hapens.
I have been looking here and need some guidance:
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc0003.htm~gen~ref.htm#PS2-A

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks! and look forward to learning more from the forum.

Going to have a make a video some day on how to press the buttons correctly to enter diagnostics...

Anyway, you can be pretty sure that your defrost door actuator has failed, your defrost door is stuck, or the linkage between the actuator and the defrost door has broke.

I know the doors are stuck or the actuator has failed, I am just wondering why the DATC is not working. I have tried the buttons many times and cannot get any response on the display. I can't believe it is that hard to press off and defrost at the same time. I also confirmed the fuse is ok for the DATC. I would like to have confirmation before going any further.
I have read that the dash needs removed to access the actuator, not excited about that next step when I can't get the diagnostics to work.

...I have read that the dash needs removed to access the actuator, not excited about that next step when I can't get the diagnostics to work.

Where did you read that? No need to remove the dash. If you remove the instrument cluster, you should be able to get to the actuator and the linkage.

That is good news. This is my 1st issue with the car and I am just learning about repairs on it. I am just starting the learning process and appreciate the help from the forum. I'll try to keep my questions above the "duh" category, lol

To clarify further, none of the settings for the heater controls work. Air only blows out of the dash vents. It will not change to the floor or defrost. With no response from the system and the DATC not working, I am wondering if it is a computer issue vs mechanical.

To clarify further, none of the settings for the heater controls work. Air only blows out of the dash vents. It will not change to the floor or defrost. With no response from the system and the DATC not working, I am wondering if it is a computer issue vs mechanical.

What exactly do you mean?
Does the display light up?
Can you control blower speed?
Can you control temperature?
Do the heated/cooled seats work correctly?

Display works, temp and blower speed works, no heated seats. You just cannot change the plenum to direct the air. The AC and heat are just fine. Without the DATC diagnostics, I hate to just start changing parts.

Describe exactly what you are doing to try and enter diagnostics. Maybe I can pick out the problem.

Press the "off" and "defrost" buttons for 2 seconds, then hit the "auto" button. I've done it over and over with no response from the system. According to the link above, my DATC module needs replaced. Where is it in the car so I can check the voltage and confirm?

Press the "off" and "defrost" buttons for 2 seconds, then hit the "auto" button. I've done it over and over with no response from the system. According to the link above, my DATC module needs replaced. Where is it in the car so I can check the voltage and confirm?

Don't hold for 2 seconds. Push together then push auto immediately!!

According to the link above, my DATC module needs replaced. Where is it in the car so I can check the voltage and confirm?

are you asking where the DATC module is??? (Dual Automatic Temperature Control)

you either know exactly where it is (because you were pressing buttons on it to run the self test) or you were not running the test right (because you were not pressing the right buttons...)

regardless, its location is approximately below the radio but above the ash tray. with your car in park and your hand on the shifter, if you reach your finger forward, you could probably almost touch it.

you also posted a link to an image of what yours looks like that you could probably use a reference to help locate it...

That worked. Now I am getting a 12 62 and 12 65 error code. Time to research how to fix them. Thanks!

Whoops, code is 12 63, panel door actuator. I wonder why it didn't give me 12 62 since the defrost panel is not working too..

Whoops, code is 12 63, panel door actuator. I wonder why it didn't give me 12 62 since the defrost panel is not working too..

It may be that the air has to get past the panel door before it can get to the defrost door? If so, the panel door could be your only issue.

Joe, thank you for your patience and assistance. I'll get this figured out, time to do my research.....

Back from a roadtrip in the car and I think I am going to have to address this issue. According to the diagnostic link above, it looks like I will need to make a jumper and begin testing the system. If you could explain this in layman's terms, I would appreciate it:
Key in OFF position.
Disconnect: DATC Module C228a.
Disconnect: DATC Module C228b.
Connect a fused jumper wire between DATC module C228a-14, circuit 29-FA10 (OG/GN) and harness side of the connector/pin indicated below that corresponds to the recorded DTC(s).

DTC Pin Circuit Actuator/ Door
B1242 C228b-10 32-FB8 (WH/RD) Air Recirculation
B1262 C228b-13 32-FB5 (WH/BK) Defrost
B1263 C228b-24 32-FB7 (WH) Panel Mode
B1264 C228b-22 32-FB6 (WH/VT) Floor Mode

Connect a fused jumper wire between DATC module C228a-2, circuit 31-FA10 (BK) and harness side of the connector/pin indicated below that corresponds to the recorded DTC(s).

And I can access the blend door with the instrument panel removed? That will make things much easier.
Thanks!

It's pretty much just what it shows. Use the two jumper wires to supply power and ground to each actuator and watch and see if they move. If one doesn't, then that one is defective or the door is stuck. Note that you have to connect both jumper wires at the same time, to the same actuator. The purpose of the fuses is to reduce the possibility of doing damage. (I'd use a 1A or so fuse.) Be very careful not to damage any of the connector sockets. (Don't try to shove too big of a wire into the pin socket.)

Thread revival, lol. This issue has never gone away. I just lived in CA, so I only needed AC.
My DCCV valve is not working, so I am going to to address that issue now.
So I will figure out how to jump these connections and verify it's the motor and not the wiring.
How do I actually access the defrost panel actuator? Or the other panel actuator?
Does the dash need to be removed? Or remove side panels and glove compartment?
I appreciate the help.

...How do I actually access the defrost panel actuator? Or the other panel actuator?
Does the dash need to be removed? Or remove side panels and glove compartment?
I appreciate the help.

The defrost actuator is relatively easy. Remove the instrument cluster.
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

The dash actuator is really bad. Remove the entire dash.

Note however that the testing I was talking about only requires you to remove the DATC. Jumper to the wires that were plugged into the DATC, instead of going directly to the actuators.

Thanks Joe. My current error codes are 2778 (DCCV) which I have a new Motorcraft one ready to go in. My other code is 1263, dash actuator.
I think I will pull the DATC out this weekend and do some jumpers and see what we have going.
Not sure i have the patience to remove the whole dash. My sister has a shop here that has treated her very well. If I need to, might hit them up and see what they would charge to pull the dash and replace the motor.

Members online

No members online now.
Back