Replaced clockspring, two weeks later beeping comes back.

Mechanicboy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I finally replaced my clockspring after needing to do it for years. I finally did it because my bulb burned out and was tired of the beeping and having to explain to guests what it meant. Two weeks and everything is great, no beeping, cruise control works again, horn works for the first time ever in owning the car. Now, the beeping is back. It started when I was driving down the hwy. Now it usually happens when I start the car but sometimes it doesn't do it until I've been driving a few minutes. It seems pretty obvious to me that it's a defective clock spring but I wanted to check and see if this has happened to members on here before. The horn and cruise control still work great (I have an aftermarket stereo so I have not idea about those controls).

Thanks.

Did you use a new clockspring?
Did you correctly center it?

Wire under seat repair is only associated with the 3-2 blink of the airbag light on the cluster AND ... it's not always a given that it's the wire at the connector, some have managed to repair this issue by correcting the wire for the airbag under the seat BUT ... majority of the times, it's a clock spring issue at the top of the steering column which warrants replacement.

The OP description above of the problem would more so lead to the Clock Spring. As you mentioned, it's of course always a good thing to check other possibilities.

His bulb has burned out, so it could be trying to flash 3-2 and there would be no way to know. The beep code is the same either way.

It is entirely possible there was a fault in both the clockspring and under the seat.

Possibly I may have read some misguided info on here but I was lead to believe that a series of 5 beeps was an indicator of the Airbag SRS system fault bulb-out condition on the console.

When the ignition is cycled (turned off and then on), the air bag indicator will remain lit for 6 seconds and then go out. If an SRS fault exists, the air bag indicator will then flash the 2-digit LFC. The air bag indicator will flash the LFC 3 times, then it will remain illuminated for the rest of the key cycle. The RCM will also communicate the current and historical DTCs through the (DLC), using a diagnostic tool. If the airbag indicator does not function, and the system detects a fault condition, the RCM will signal the instrument cluster module to activate an audible chime. The chime is a series of 5 sets of 5 tone bursts. If the chime is heard, the SRS and the airbag indicator require repair

I had found some threads associated with a cluster airbag bulb-out and the 5x5 beep warning.

Get a real code reader and scan the codes. That way you know for sure what you are dealing with. With the maintenance cost of some of the things associated with this car wouldn't it benefit to know what you are dealing with? If the come back is that they are too expensive then why attempted any repair? You may cause more harm than good.

Possibly I may have read some misguided info on here but I was lead to believe that a series of 5 beeps was an indicator of the Airbag SRS system fault bulb-out condition on the console.

When the ignition is cycled (turned off and then on), the air bag indicator will remain lit for 6 seconds and then go out. If an SRS fault exists, the air bag indicator will then flash the 2-digit LFC. The air bag indicator will flash the LFC 3 times, then it will remain illuminated for the rest of the key cycle. The RCM will also communicate the current and historical DTCs through the (DLC), using a diagnostic tool. If the airbag indicator does not function, and the system detects a fault condition, the RCM will signal the instrument cluster module to activate an audible chime. The chime is a series of 5 sets of 5 tone bursts. If the chime is heard, the SRS and the airbag indicator require repair

I had found some threads associated with a cluster airbag bulb-out and the 5x5 beep warning.

I'm not really sure what you are getting at here. He knows the bulb is out (I would replace it, but that's me). He can let the bulb remain out, and as long as there are no SRS faults, he won't get the beeps. Replace the bulb or not, he still has to find and correct the SRS fault(s).

Get a real code reader and scan the codes. That way you know for sure what you are dealing with. With the maintenance cost of some of the things associated with this car wouldn't it benefit to know what you are dealing with? If the come back is that they are too expensive then why attempted any repair? You may cause more harm than good.

Most won't read the SRS codes. Mine will, but it was $400. There are probably some cheaper that will read the SRS codes, but there are many that won't.

Most won't read the SRS codes. Mine will, but it was $400. There are probably some cheaper that will read the SRS codes, but there are many that won't.
I am well aware but a good one will. One of the cheaper ones I have will and it was only 180. Thats why I said to "get a real code reader".

What makes me thing it's the clockspring again is that it doesn't always happen right after start-up, sometimes it happens after I've been driving a bit (and I'm not talking about the reoccurring beeping that happens every 20 minutes). I just checked the under seat connecting and it's still good, I replaced it some years back with a new connector.

I feel like karma is out to get me or something. I was recently telling people how I had to put quite a bit of work into the car when I first got it and it has been good since. Soon after that the right lower ball joint partially gave out on a high speed left turn (I was going way to fast and was lucky I didn't lose control), I placed both sides and the wheel bearings while I was in there then replaced the clockspring and it worked for a few weeks and seems to have gone out. I'm awaiting problem #3. And to top it off, I just ordered new tires, geez.

So after checking the connection under the seat last night it hasn't made a sound. Connect must be loose under there.

Members online

Back