Air conditioning compressor

pepperman

The Real Deal
Reaction score
Where is the air conditioning compressor located ? If it is where I think it is mine just went out. When I parked my car so I could go an get my work truck and saw smoke coming out from under the hood. I think the clutch on the compressor froze up on it.

I just looked at em on Rock Auto....around 150; not sure with what's involved replacing it, I think it's just a matter of removing a few bolts...but the system may need to be evacuated and recharged, you may be able to find a place to do free testing before you start throwing parts at the problem. If you have a service manual it will spell it all out.

I just looked at em on Rock Auto....around 150; not sure with what's involved replacing it, pretty sure the system should be evacuated and recharged, you may be able to find a place to do free testing before you start throwing parts at the problem. For a novice like me, AC repairs = $$$$$

Thanks for the info I will let everyone know what happens, I am at work at the moment.

May have just fried the clutch.. Much cheaper to just replace that than the whole Compressor.. Plus it won't need an evac/recharge... If that's all it is

May have just fried the clutch.. Much cheaper to just replace that than the whole Compressor.. Plus it won't need an evac/recharge... If that's all it is

+1

let us hope its just clutch failure and not locked up compressor.

good look pepps, better now than mid July, actually i say that,but i dont even know the type weather you are having right now.

we are having a cool spring so far here

If you do have to replace, it's not to hard of a job.

I would do the job myself but i don't have the tools that i would need or a place out of the weather to work on it. It will be Monday before i know how much it is going to cost.

Well i found out how much it is going to be to get my car fixed and price shock is an understatement, for a new compressor labor and all it is going to cost $866. I have the money to pay for it but that means no vacation this year **** oh well i want my car fixed.

Well i found out how much it is going to be to get my car fixed and price shock is an understatement, for a new compressor labor and all it is going to cost $866. I have the money to pay for it but that means no vacation this year **** oh well i want my car fixed.

That's about what it cost for my 98 marquis 8 years ago. You can get a four seasons comp at advanced auto for 145+ tax after code trt30, an orifice tube and what ever else is recommended when replacing a comp. All parts including 134a should be under $300.

There aren't any members nearby that can help?

It was hard for me to spend that much on something I rarely used with the exception of defrost in the winter. I like the heat so if I resided in the south a bypass would surely go on. But hey, if the car's down and you need it ya gotta bite your lip and get it done.

That's about what it cost for my 98 marquis 8 years ago. You can get a four seasons comp at advanced auto for 145+ tax after code trt30, an orifice tube and what ever else is recommended when replacing a comp. All parts including 134a should be under $300.

There aren't any members nearby that can help?

It was hard for me to spend that much on something I rarely used with the exception of defrost in the winter. I like the heat so if I resided in the south a bypass would surely go on. But hey, if the car's down and you need it ya gotta bite your lip and get it done.

That's exactly what is going to happen tomorrow. This was a very unexpected thing that happened and it does SUCK :( . I am the other way i hate the heat but living in Oklahoma i am used to dealing with it.

That's exactly what is going to happen tomorrow. This was a very unexpected thing that happened and it does SUCK :( . I am the other way i hate the heat but living in Oklahoma i am used to dealing with it.

Man, I would hold off on paying all of that labor cost. Buying a set of tools and doing it yourself would save so much. Just have your girl make you a pitcher of lemonade and that stuff at night. I know about the heat and working on cars. I have MS and heat kills me so I do all the tough stuff at night or on a cloudy day. If you do this, for God's sake don't forget bug repellant. Get two kinds of repellant, one with the deet and the eucalyptus kind because one works on the dusk bugs and one works on night bugs.

I paid the repair bill today and it was more than the estimate at 936.95 OUCH but at least i have ice cold air now. There are some things i can do myself but this is not one of them, maybe in the future i will be able to do something like this.

oh snap pepps!
you need to pick up a beater car so you can take youre time fixing the lincoln or whatever.

glad its fixed though. my 93 needs a compressor as well.

For $900+, I hope every singe piece of the AC was replaced under the hood.

glad you got it done; it's been a long time since I drove a car or truck with a/c...my job and house have ac, that's enough for me.....

oh snap pepps!
you need to pick up a beater car so you can take youre time fixing the lincoln or whatever.

glad its fixed though. my 93 needs a compressor as well.

I do plan on doing just that when money permits. Hopefully in about a year i can find an old school style mustang.

don't feel bad Pep, I just got an est to r/r ac comp: $800 plus tax, now that's for a NEW, not remanned comp, the mech indicated about 3/4 remanned comps are defective out of the box...

My compressor is seized up as well. Going to attempt the job myself. Bought a factory compressor (used) off a member for $30 plus shipping ($60 total). Bought some of the locking springs off eBay to replace any ones I mess with when breaking apart the system. Bought a new orifice tube as well off eBay. Doesn't seem TOO hard. The compressor is only held on by three bolts (though one seems like it'll be hard to get to). Disconnect a few AC lines, two electrical connectors, three bolts, pull it out. Flush the lines ($15 for a bottle of the chemical), oil the new compressor then install everything again.

The car hasn't had AC since I got it and I assumed based on what my brother told me (it was his car) it just needed an accumulator. I put a brand new one in and it still didn't work. Turned out the compressor was seized up the whole time. Shouldn't have to replace the accumulator again since the compressor couldn't have cycled possible contaminants through it, correct?

My compressor is seized up as well. Going to attempt the job myself. Bought a factory compressor (used) off a member for $30 plus shipping ($60 total). Bought some of the locking springs off eBay to replace any ones I mess with when breaking apart the system. Bought a new orifice tube as well off eBay. Doesn't seem TOO hard. The compressor is only held on by three bolts (though one seems like it'll be hard to get to). Disconnect a few AC lines, two electrical connectors, three bolts, pull it out. Flush the lines ($15 for a bottle of the chemical), oil the new compressor then install everything again.

The car hasn't had AC since I got it and I assumed based on what my brother told me (it was his car) it just needed an accumulator. I put a brand new one in and it still didn't work. Turned out the compressor was seized up the whole time. Shouldn't have to replace the accumulator again since the compressor couldn't have cycled possible contaminants through it, correct?

that "3rd" bolt is not TOO hard to get,but if you want to make it easy, a well placed hole drilled in the frame will allow super easy access whenever you need to take the compressor out, i have a hole a little bigger than a 1/4" inch,i push my 1/4" long extension through it, then attach the socket on the end and zip the bolt out like magic(ok not magic,since the logic here is quite simple,but it sure is nice)

just a thought/tip if you want to make life easier with the compressor.

Members online

No members online now.
Back