FORD says to use 5w 20w oil in our cars now.

turn_on68

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I went to get inspection and oil changed and Jiffy Lube has a Lincoln / FORD NOTICE To use 5w 20w oil now. Just in case anyone is interested.

Nearly all 90+ Fords were back-speced to 5w20.

I don't have a problem running it in all my 4.6 powered cars, even one with 245,000 miles. Even in the 110 degree summer, I run it. Some might say it is too thin, but I think the requirements for 5w20 make it a better oil, my oil consumption hasn't gone up because of it. In my 97 Cougar that got few miles on it I used Motorcraft semi synthetic, I will likely start using that in my Mark VIII instead of Mobil1.

I'm hessitant to switch. I run 5w30 w/ a quart of lucas. I already have valve seal leaks... dont want to make it any thinner!

5w30 here, little to no oil loss in 4k~. Don't think I've ever ran 5w20 in any of my FLMs.

I was gonna say i doubt 5w20 would be good for mark with 100k who get the pedal mashed to the floor quit often.

I have always run 5w20 in all my 4.6L. Im a ford tech, my 205k mile mark has 5w20 in it and is fine.

All fords are 5w20

Expt
4.0 v6
5.0 v8 (old 5.0)
And the new eco boost engines.

5w-20 in
3.0 12valve and 24 valve
4.6 (exsept new boss 302)
5.4 (exsept gt500 40w50)

I have used 0w-20 with great success in the 4.6 DOHC. Don't be scared by the "0w" that rating is for when the oil is cold, when you need the quick lubrication that a thin oil provides. Once the oil is warmed up it is the same weight as other 5w-20 oils, which has been the Motorcraft recommend oil for our engines for a long time now. In order to get that "0w" rating the base stock of the oil typically needs to be of very stout quality, and you even hear people say it is "more synthetic." There are no 0w weight mineral oils on the market. I have noticed a MPG improvement going from 5w-30 and the motor seems to run quieter but perhaps that is a placebo effect. If you want the best oil possible I would try the Sustina 0w-20, the chemistry is unlike the industry has ever seen. This oil is made by the #1 Japanese oil company Nippon. Check out the video explaining their technology on their website, it is definitely legitimate! Of course there are lots of other quality synthetics out there like Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, Mag-1 etc.
http://www.sustina.us/product-line.php

5w20 goes in both my 204k 93 and my 190k 96 with no issues. so no, i would this is absolutely false.

It depends on what condition your motor is in. When you look at oil specs, if you are concerned about oil burning you should look at the Noack Volatility to find the right oil for you.

then your car hasn't been maintained properly at some point. they car should not be burning oil. neither of mine do.

The engine 4.6 was designed (clearances) to run 5W-20. Running the lower viscosity oil only adds more stress to the bearings and oil pump. FOMOCO went to the 0W because of some parts of the country that get really cold and this would assist with those cold starts.

Members online

Back