rev limiter?

Sport versions do not have a rev limiter. They can also be removed by use of the SCT tuner.
KS

Sport versions do not have a rev limiter. They can also be removed by use of the SCT tuner.
KS

My LS is a sport version and it most certainly does have a rev limiter. Perhaps you were thinking of the speed limiter?

Either way they can both be adjusted with an SCT tuner like you said.

May I ask why you want to remove it? If that's the only reason for you buying a tuner you're wasting your money imo. The rev limiter is there to prevent doing damage to the engine.

I suppose I should say that I've pulled 7K+ without seeing any sign of a rev limiter. What is yours set for, and why do you want to go higher?
KS

ken, he's referring to the park/neutral limiter. I think. Engine won't go higher than 3k in park or neutral. I have mine set to 4K right now.

Neutral, park I think reverse too are 3k. Sports do have rev limiters, at least my 02 does. I hit it several times before I got the SCT. IIRC it just past redline too like 6700. I set them all at 7k.

I wasn't thinking about neutral. I have a very limited custom tune from making use of my SCT. It was supposedly limited to trans shift improvement. (The guy from whom I got it---no-one here---did a 'swifty' job on me. I won't go further into it at this point.) However, I've been to 7K-and-a-little-bit on a number of occasions. I saw no sign of a limitation.
KS

pektels right im refering to the neutral/park limiter. how do i get rid of that ish?

the ls doesnt have the same rev limiter for P and N as it has for when in D, in P and N it will bounce off the 3k limit but it D it just hits almost 7k and stays and every ls has it.

Wrong. My LS blew the cams and bended a few valves at 7.5K. No rev limiter, guaranteed.

IIRC you were racing and the transmission popped out of gear and that's why your engine outran the rev limiter.

My 01' has a rev limiter, and I've hit it more than once. Mine also has a speed limiter, I've posted a video of it about when the engine cuts at about 142 then starts back up again at about 137, that's a speed limiter. Both will be fixed when I get it tuned.

Also, how would you know it happened at 7.5RPM, the tach doesn't go that high, unless you were data logging.

Dude, if the gear pops it goes to neutral. And with thw pedal to the floor its supposed to cut the revs at whatever the rev limiter is set at. I have tried it and went all the way to 7 n still nothing. Im no interested on trying anything avobe 7k.
7.5k dude when the gear popped, (dumb me) my instant reaction wasnt getting my foot off the gas, I instantly looked at the revs and saw the needle go beyond 7k. Then I didnt wanna try to see if it blew.. till my panic went away and I began to hear the engine noise :-( what a horrible memory.
Ive been arguing with people about my car not having a rev limiter for a long time now. If you are totaly sure it does have one, I can step on in till it either cuts off or blows up. But if it blows up then I was right n u gotta pay for my parts. How does that sound? My engine could really use a rebuilt lol

i really can't imagine anyone building an engine without a rev limiter. the company isn't going to just let the engine rev until it explodes.

I agree. I dont understand either. Think I could go complain about it at ford? lol

my '02 5 speed has a rev limiter, bounced on it a few times, also has a speed limiter of 132, bounced that one once.

Well, I went passed 7k again a few months back by missing a gear. Again, no limiter, same situation. Valve shims destroyed.
Note: I missed 3rd upshifting, It wasnt a downshift nor I went to 1st. I released the cluth too early, gear didnt engage, went to neutral, wide open throttle = bang !! + coast to the shop.
I dont know why, but Im ready to bet 1 million dollars on my car not having a rev limiter.
Also, speed limiter is set at 141mph. Bounced it.. few times :rolleyes: i actually took a pic of the dash at 139-140 but I coulnd find it just now. I took it a few years back to earn 100 bucks from a guy who bet there was no way in hell my Lincoln coould go up to 140. So he followed in his motorcycle :hump:

Well, I went passed 7k again a few months back by missing a gear. Again, no limiter, same situation. Valve shims destroyed.
Note: I missed 3rd upshifting, It wasnt a downshift nor I went to 1st. I released the cluth too early, gear didnt engage, went to neutral, wide open throttle = bang !! + coast to the shop.
I dont know why, but Im ready to bet 1 million dollars on my car not having a rev limiter.
Also, speed limiter is set at 141mph. Bounced it.. few times :rolleyes: i actually took a pic of the dash at 139-140 but I coulnd find it just now. I took it a few years back to earn 100 bucks from a guy who bet there was no way in hell my Lincoln coould go up to 140. So he followed in his motorcycle :hump:
Have you considered swaping out to a AUTOMATIC probably save you a lot of money ! LOL

Have you considered swaping out to a AUTOMATIC probably save you a lot of money ! LOL

My car is a keeper. I own a garage with my father so Im covered. It has now exactly 201995. I gotta show it some love but it runs strong still. We'll see how far it can go. :L

According to your sig, you have an '01 LS6 5 speed? Maybe Ford changed it for '02, or if you bought yours used, someone else may have messed with it? When mine hit 132, it wanted to go more, but the injectors were being cut out.

My one mile ECTA record is 140.106. That's measured in competition from a dead stop to the finish line. Playing around on a deserted section of E-way while getting ready to go to Maxton I went past 150 several times. And although at Maxton I let it shift for itself---with settings by way of SCT---I have manually shifted at 7K+ on several occasions as well. The car is an '02 V8 Sport.

KS

According to your sig, you have an '01 LS6 5 speed? Maybe Ford changed it for '02, or if you bought yours used, someone else may have messed with it? When mine hit 132, it wanted to go more, but the injectors were being cut out.

Uh, mine is 00. I even think its tecnically a 99 but Im not sure nor I ever checked.
Idk about someone removing it. I know the previous owner didnt. He bout it with about 11k when he did. Who knows.
On the other hand I may even like it this way. I like the fact of it being it me the reason for it to blow or not. If Im not precise enough it costs me money, time, and big load of anger.
I would want to get rid of the abs and power steering someday.

Cammerfe

I didnt know the V8 will rev up to 7.. nice!

Members online

No members online now.
Back