New tires!

MooJohn

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, so no pics of them on the car yet but I like them so much I had to share.

Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 in the stock size. Think of them as the "frugal man's Michelin Pilot Sport A/S". Grip is very much improved over the blah Michelins that came on the car (generic XGV line). Most surprisingly though is the handling is improved too. The sidewalls are far less mushy; it feels like it should have from the factory.

su_htr_as_p01h_ci2_l.jpg

They were just over $300 for a set of 4, though shipping added another $90 and mount/balance another $75. I normally run "summer only" tires but I no longer have a 4x4 truck for bad weather so the car has to handle it all. These aren't a bad compromise!

su_htr_as_p01h_ci2_l.jpg

they look like nice tires,
so hows it been driving with the newly rebuilt trans?

It's like a new car! The shift kit firmed things up slightly but not obnoxiously. Then I tweaked it with the programmer for a little more firmness and higher shift points since our engines make all their power up top. Firm shifts also mean longer clutch life. I normally ask for Alto Red clutches when rebuilding an auto but apparently they don't make them for this transmission :(

The Luk torque converter with carbon fiber clutch seems to do the trick too. Not sure if its stall speed is any different since I haven't tried launching the car yet. The new tires do make that possible where it was just futile with the old dead Michelins.

Ran out of $$ for the projector swap so I'm going with drop-in HIDs for the winter. I'll aim them so they don't bother oncoming drivers.

Nice! maybe the next time I'm down in Milledgeville I can stop by and look at it

It's like a new car! The shift kit firmed things up slightly but not obnoxiously. Then I tweaked it with the programmer for a little more firmness and higher shift points since our engines make all their power up top. Firm shifts also mean longer clutch life. I normally ask for Alto Red clutches when rebuilding an auto but apparently they don't make them for this transmission :(

The Luk torque converter with carbon fiber clutch seems to do the trick too. Not sure if its stall speed is any different since I haven't tried launching the car yet. The new tires do make that possible where it was just futile with the old dead Michelins.

Ran out of $$ for the projector swap so I'm going with drop-in HIDs for the winter. I'll aim them so they don't bother oncoming drivers.

How much did that rebuild cost you? If I drive any longer than a half hour straight dash tells me to check the transmission, check engine light comes on, and it has a real hard shift from gears 2 to 3. I can go longer if I'm on the highway drafting a semi. Code is P1701.

Just over $2600 for the whole thing including the new torque converter. Most places start at $3500 for just the trans work, and that's without the R&R (remove and replace) labor and not including the clutch. They're just a local hole-in-the-wall type transmission shop but their work is great.

Code 1701 should happen only in reverse! It signals low line pressure while in reverse gear.

Just over $2600 for the whole thing including the new torque converter. Most places start at $3500 for just the trans work, and that's without the R&R (remove and replace) labor and not including the clutch. They're just a local hole-in-the-wall type transmission shop but their work is great.

Code 1701 should happen only in reverse! It signals low line pressure while in reverse gear.

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong code, it's been a while since I've cleared it with the reader I keep in my trunk. It's the torque converter clutch system dealio code.

EDIT
Actual code is P1744

I just picked up a set of BRIDGESTONE ECOPIA tires So far, i am happy with them. Hwy mpg at 75 is a clear 26 so far, much better than the 24 i am used to.

I just picked up a set of BRIDGESTONE ECOPIA tires So far, i am happy with them. Hwy mpg at 75 is a clear 26 so far, much better than the 24 i am used to.

Maybe a change in tire height (rev/mile)? 26 vs 24 seems unlikely related to rolling resistance.

I can say that in the last year I've had these tires in every weather condition and I wouldn't have made a different choice. The tests at the Tire Rack say they suck in snow, but for the inch or two we see once a year here they were fine. They do a great job in wet and dry conditions and I'm no timid driver.

I have Continental Tiger Paws (I think?) and living in WI these tires see a LOT of snow. Car handles like a dream, surprisingly so in fact.

Michelin Defenders went on when my strut sprayed its goo and wrecked the rubber bushing on our 99. I've never been happier with a set of tires, its almost creepy smooth, generally quiet, but makes noise going over cracks etc. No issues with traction, but never had any. The smoothness suits the Cont well, and its a high mpg 80k mile tire.

Members online

No members online now.
Back