Sexy Engine...

Hot*Mk8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What started out as a 'simple' valve cover gasket change turned into this. The more my little pea brain got involved, the worse it got. I found a spare entire intake manifold on eBay in California for $90 and sent it in advance to the coating place because cerma-chrome takes seven business days.

And, unlike the 98, the 97 misbehaved badly when we tried to remove the driver's side valve cover. We had to go the book route and loosen the brake booster, remove the wiper assembly and the hood. I was a basket case by then.

Other than that, and a parts run to LA in the 98 because the post office broke one of the hard intake gasket sets in half, the putting back together process went pretty smoothly. Oh, and I also found a spare coolant crossover on eBay so I didn't have to mess with my stuck one. I did have to do alot of grinding on the powder coat, though, because it was too thick to allow the tube to properly seat. Finally got to redo all of the wire looms with new cloth tape, new heater hoses, new fuel line, new water temp sender, gaskets, o-rings, ignition coils, etc. What I have left to do is install the LMS MAF, which I had to find a huge piece of rubber to adapt to the Gen II intake, and reset the idle set screw as it was a crap shoot bringing it over from the other throttle body so the idle is currently too high. Not much room for error as the travel on the orginal one to properly set was only about 60 degrees from closed. Hopefully I'm a good guesser.

Anyway, this is one SEXY creature. Well worth the intense effort, but I'm really glad it's over. :p

New 200 amp alternator cover with my coil covers and the replacement intake to the powder coaters:

Bareparts_zps919e05ae.jpg

Shined up the butterflies:

Butterflies_zps77c08416.jpg

Was able to remove the crossover myself in about five minutes. This made me VERY happy:

crossover_zps4b05a459.jpg

I know Alejandro was thinking, "Pinche Lincoln," right about now:

PincheValveCover_zpscbad5c26.jpg

My station for all the prep work:

mystation_zpseb5f728b.jpg

Beautiful throttle body reassembled:

throttlebody_zpsd24d815c.jpg

Schparkly valve cover:

valvecover2_zps09fd219e.jpg

More schparkly valve cover:

valvecover_zps5c9be30a.jpg

Run to LA for gaskets:

PartsRun2_zps072bf322.jpg

Demonstrate to Mr. Stromberg that our winter isn't *quite* as harsh as Minnesota's:

PartsRun_zps44f1d1b1.jpg

More sparkle:

IntakeManifold_zpsa78cdd7d.jpg

On the downside:

Engineprogress_zps61892baa.jpg

Nearly there:

engineprogress2_zpsd5884b13.jpg

Candy:

FinalEngine_zps6cf0c030.jpg

Complete:

Lastone_zps6dd5c2ea.jpg

And the MAF:

MAF_zps3c6673f1.jpg

Different light:

photo1_zpsf397ae18.jpg

One more:

SideEngine_zpsd5113a4c.jpg

Oh yes, Fabulous Fords Forever used us as one of their promo cars for the Knott's show in April. KEWL!!!!! :D

I spent about three hours just staring at it in the garage last night. This will be a new ritual. :D

Gorgeous!!! I pulled an intake manifold off a 95 at the Pull-A-Part. How would you suggest I "refurbish". Not sure if this is the right place to ask that knowing that depends on what I want it to look like. Love the braided steel lines! :D Thanks!

Verge of river. But its very nice, lot of respect for having that clean of an engine bay. Hard to get it that way and harder to maintain.

I knew you'd like that purple :) looks sweet.

One day maybe do your timing cover :) you can wiggle it in and out without popping the oil pan or valve covers if you're careful. I've got a spare one and a set of valve covers I'm having PCed when I build another 4.6

Then get a billet pulley kit - Job Done!

You said it, Sapper! So glad I went that route instead of red. Love those billet pulley kits, too. Talk about sweet. I was just starting to add so much to this job that it was getting ridiculous. Timing cover, too? Oh my. Definitely!

Gorgeous!!! I pulled an intake manifold off a 95 at the Pull-A-Part. How would you suggest I "refurbish". Not sure if this is the right place to ask that knowing that depends on what I want it to look like. Love the braided steel lines! :D Thanks!

The cerma-chrome is really nice because it doesn't add layers at all. They even do the threads because of this. Also, it is a very, very durable finish that is cared for just like chrome. Just have to find a place in your neck of the woods that does it. In my case, it was the powder coating folks and they did an awesome job. They also do parts through the mail...:D

http://capsbhc.com/index.htm

The cerma-chrome is really nice because it doesn't add layers at all. They even do the threads because of this. Also, it is a very, very durable finish that is cared for just like chrome. Just have to find a place in your neck of the woods that does it. In my case, it was the powder coating folks and they did an awesome job. They also do parts through the mail...:D

[url]http://capsbhc.com/index.htm[/URL]

The intake and TB look like they were done like the carbs were when I used to work for Weber. The cast aluminum carb bodies were put in a drum with either tiny steel balls or some other type of semi-abrasive media and tumbled for hours to get that chrome-like finish without plating. Yours looks super cool! I like it a lot! :)

You are ready to represent the show now Laurie! Your car is tastefully done and smokin'. Just remember, donks are bad mmmmkay. :D:p

The intake looks nice. Where did you send it out to get it done?

GMAN, it is a ceramic process that is similar to powder coating and they do put the parts through something like bead blasting.

Cap's Coatings here in Fresno did both the powder and cerma-chrome:

They accept parts that are shipped, too, and are outstanding to do business with. I picked my custom color online from powderbuythepound.com and they were also awesome.

GMAN, it is a ceramic process that is similar to powder coating and they do put the parts through something like bead blasting.

Cap's Coatings here in Fresno did both the powder and cerma-chrome:

They accept parts that are shipped, too, and are outstanding to do business with. I picked my custom color online from powderbuythepound.com and they were also awesome.

My son GMANjr is stationed in Lemoore. I'll be flying into Fresno next month for a week stay to visit. I would love to see your Mark.

My son GMANjr is stationed in Lemoore. I'll be flying into Fresno next month for a week stay to visit. I would love to see your Mark.

Wow! That would be extremely cool. I went to Lemoore High School. Doh. PM me and I'll give you my phone number. I have a big show on March 29-30 as well here in town. Cheers!

Looks hot! Never thought purple would look so good in an engine bay till now!

Looks fantastic!
That's on hell of a drop light Alejandro has in that pic.

Ha ha!!!! No chit. Apparently someone lifted a car into the bank of flourescents above my car so he had to improvise. :D

That engine bay looks great! Where did you get the braided lines? I have big plans for my engine bay in the future, but it will be a while.....:cool:

Members online

No members online now.
Back