Transmission/OD Servo Issue (?)

I understand what they do....but why place them in the trans? Why not an external mount?

Ease of maintenance.....no need to crack open tranny for issues/replacement....less cost for replacement. If solenoid pack needs to be replaced but filter and oil is perfectly fine, it is added cost.

I'm sure it was designed for a smaller package with less exposure to the elements. I also am sure they didn't realize the issues they have back when they designed it.

Just a thinking out load.

Ease of maintenance.....no need to crack open tranny for issues/replacement....less cost for replacement. If solenoid pack needs to be replaced but filter and oil is perfectly fine, it is added cost.

I'm sure it was designed for a smaller package with less exposure to the elements. I also am sure they didn't realize the issues they have back when they designed it.

They really don't have any issues. The LSes represented here are a very small percentage of LSes sold. I have, or have had 4, and only one needed a solenoid pack replacement. This transmission is also used successfully in the S-Type as well, IIRC, as the Explorer. That adds thousands more applications!

Drivetrain parts location are designed for ease of manufacture and not much else. The popularity of FWD has more to do with ease of installation (the whole drivetrain goes in as one unit) than anything else. The manufacturers sold the public a bill of goods when they touted how FWD was better for traction in poor weather conditions. I could go on and on about that, but won't.

I just love the arm chair engineers here.......

Well, that's certainly true, but there are several downsides. It would be more expensive. There would be more possibilities for leaks. They would have to deal with the possibility of hot fluid flowing through cold valves. The solenoids would be exposed to road salts. The transmission would take more room.

The theory when designing it was that the solenoids were no more likely than anything else to fail, so maintenance shouldn't have been an issue. They had some unexpected problems on some years of the assembly, but I think they did finally resolve those.

It's easy to second guess the design decisions now that we know what happened. However, if you could go back in time and talk to them, you wouldn't tell them to put the solenoids externally. You would tell them about the actual problems and final solutions and just have the solenoids not fail and not need replacement.

Like I said....I'm just asking a question for me to have more basic understanding...thanks to all......

Like I said....I'm just asking a question for me to have more basic understanding...thanks to all......

Go to a factory and watch a car being built. Talk to the engineers to see with what parameters they had to deal.

Been there, done that with the LS. We were even shown the offending valve that caused the transmission error on the '03s.

Sounds good, hope it doesn't raise it's ugly head again. flush might be in order though.

BTW: got that order of 5 Aquapel for 35$ taxes and shipping included,
arrived within 2 days (amazingly fast shipping when not coming from the US)
Love it, much better then Rain-X by the looks. applied one on the wife's car (as a test)
then did another on the LS, got the sides, mirrors and headlights also with the same applicator.

thanks for the tip. clean glass all around. and it rained all day to. (did it inside the garage)

buffed clean with one of them fiber cloths I use for PC or TV screens.
Some elbows grease involved, dries quickly, leaves a haze if not quick enough.
One side at a time, buff, buff and more buffing, rain repels like crazy.

I had no use for the free included 2GB memory stick, already own several, some much larger.

Oh and ... I'm doing my work truck as well with it, so thanks for my safety. supposed to be excellent in snow & ice as well.

Members online

No members online now.
Back