Nail in Tire

M4rk

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As I was about to Plasti-Dip my fourth (winter) wheel, while inspecting the tire and removing any stuck pebbles I came across this little SOB stuck in the tread!

DSC_3028.JPG

Should I just cut it off and let it be, or pull it out and attempt to fix it myself?

Cheers!

My personal opinion is that's too close to the sidewall to safely patch, but I could be wrong. I'd pull it out and see what happens. It may not be in deep enough to have really punctured the tire yet. Leaving it in or cutting it off risks that it will get pushed deeper in.

+1 on pulling.. doesn't look very deep... most wont patch because of its location, but you can still buy the old school repair kits and do it yourself... I bet its not all the way through though

Thanks guys. If I pull it out and the tire deflates, won't that make it difficult to repair though? This really sucks as those tires only have 3000km (1800 miles) on them!

Spray it with soapy water and see if it leaks. If i were patching it myself, i wouldnt have an issue with doing it. Technically it is in an unsafe place to patch. (patching from the inside of the tire, patch plug. Id plug it too, if patch plugs arent an option)

no, if you plug (patch from the outside...super easy) it will need to be deflated anyways

What I mean is, if I pull it out and air stars coming out, the tire will get flat in no time. Thus I will not be able to plug it from the outside with those DIY kits. I don't have a compressor either to inflate it quickly. Only a bicycle pump :shifty:

How much air is in the tire now? Do you remember how much was in when you stored them?
Either way, if it goes flat, just take it to a place with an air pump and inflate it after or before plugging it. You can plug a tire while it is flat.

What I mean is, if I pull it out and air stars coming out, the tire will get flat in no time. Thus I will not be able to plug it from the outside with those DIY kits. I don't have a compressor either to inflate it quickly. Only a bicycle pump :shifty:

That's a small nail. Any deflation will be pretty slow.

Mark, the kit in the link would be fine. I recommend using plugs made by Slime. I think they are one of the best. It's extremely sticky.
Make sure you run the plug though the loop before you pull the nail out. Once the string is in, pour some water on it to check for leaks.

Then, go drive around 10-15min to heat the tires up so it melts into the place.

EDIT: You want the black ones. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FHWYE0...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B008FHWYE0

if your really concerned, go with the soapy water, spray and move the nail around..look for bubbles... I bet there wont be any. But if you pull it out and it starts leaking, just put it back in until you figure what method want to use to fix it

Okay fellas, I pulled out the nail. 1/2 was sticking out, while the other 1/2 was inside the tire. It was stuck underneath the block of tread, rather than straight thru the belt or whatever. Air pressure was consistent relative to the other 3 tires prior to removal. I could see zero bubbles coming out of the hole after spraying it with some soapy water. I will continue monitoring the air pressure to make sure it's not leaking.

Should I be concerned with the small hole that's left behind?

I take it you've never had a nail or one that didnt cause a leak. It will be fine if it is not leaking

Nope, never had a flat or a nail *knock on wood*. Thanks for the help guys!

Thanks given :)

At the garages they won't plug a hole that close to the sidewall,
as a matter a fact, it is already considered on the sidewall.

~ however !!! check your bill of sale, fine print may read something about pro-rated replacements on nails in tires.

Canadian Tire purchase ?

if so = http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/customer-service/warranty/

There is an important advantage to buying your tires online at Canadian Tire.
They come backed by the most comprehensive warranty program in Canada.
Your tires are covered by a pro-rated Road Hazard Damage and Manufacturing Defects
warranty, plus you can have them checked and serviced easily at any Canadian Tire store.

I go through nails in my tires like a kid goes through candy. Theres at least always one nail in one of my tires at all times . Kinda drives me nuts!

Members online

No members online now.
Back