Transmission rebuild price

fudge12

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm planning to get my transmission rebuilt. As per my previous posts, I'm getting nasty jumps when I put the car into reverse and an occasional clunking when coming from R to P. One time I had three consecutive "jumps" when changing from Drive to Reverse once. It's also taking a while to shift between gears 1 - 3 and is not shifting into 4th and 5th gear. A local transmission shop want $800 to do it. What should I ask them before going dishing out the money? Is this a good deal?

Good enough to suspect that they aren't going to be doing much of a rebuild.

$800? That is rock-bottom, dirt cheap. I doubt you could even find a used trans and have someone swap it in for $800.

He guarantees the problem will be fixed with a 1 year warranty. Ill be going back tomorrow to see what he's going to be replacing and how long it'll take.

Well, just got it in the shop today. $850. Hopefully all turns out to be well. Will report back soon.

My '03 was $1800, but most of the trans issues were caused by a bad PCM fixed for another $400.

i would definitley want to know exactly what is being done for $850. but as long as it is in writing that this will for sure fix the problem and have a warranty, that is the important part.

It was shuddering into third and banging 4th so hard the tires would bark at WOT. It also had this rythmic surge as I rolled on the gas in 4th and 5th. That was a bad torque converter, and the car always shiffted kinda slow and crappy from worn servo bores. The rebuild took care of that, and the PCM took care of the weird 2-3 and 3-4 shifts.

Well picked up my car from the shop after they pulled a bait and switch on me, they price they told me after dropping the transmission was almost about the same as i paid for the car. I told them to put everything back together and now I have even more problems. The dash has an E as well as the check engine light. Fans are extremely loud and the car dosent want to go past 1st gear. Acceleration is also extremely slow despite how hard I press on the gas. It stalled out two times on me on the way home but I did manage to get the car to a garage where they did a code scan. They bought up the solenoid pack (known issue) and a speed sensor issue. The mechanics at the transmission shop told me that I have a bad torque converter (???) and solenoid pack (which was obvious). I have contacted the guy I bought the car to and he told me that there is nothing they can do since I just told them to put the car back together. Does it sound like my car really needs a new torque converter? What could be the worst case scenario?

Edit:
I did catch the mechanics not disconnecting the battery while servicing the transmission.
Reverse also works too.

You get what you pay for. Stick to the dealer this is what happens when you don't.

Well, I guess too good to be true was too good to be true.
I would think it would be difficult to diagnose the torque converter to be faulty without fixing the known bad solenoid assembly first, unless they have pulled the transmission apart.
For less than $3k, you can get a new transmission installed with warranty at a Ford or Lincoln dealer. I think that I would do that before spending $2K on repairs. Now, you not only have whatever faults your transmission had to begin with, but you also probably have new faults induced by the place that pulled it apart, possibly with malice when they had to put it back together without pay.

hmm not sure what kind of documentation you have on that $800 estimate, but you might have legal pathways to financial remedies... 'bait and switch' (whether or not it falls into bait n switch definitions in NY i dont know) is illegal in most (if not all) states. might want to make a call to your favorite lawyer and threaten a small claims lawsuit on that one...

X2 on taking it to the dealer for a reman. The one you have is boned. No telling what else now needs repairs either as the trans guys aren't limited to messing with the trans after losing the job in the middle.

I wouldn't go to a dealer for a rebuild or a solenoid replacement. Just need to find a reputable local shop to do it.

I'll see about the lawyer part, hopefully I'll be able to gain a few bucks and get the job done. Here's a little video of what happens on the dash: 2000 Lincoln LS v6 E code - YouTube
Can anyone give me a couple reasons for the slow acceleration?

I wouldn't go to a dealer for a rebuild or a solenoid replacement. Just need to find a reputable local shop to do it.

Why not?

Easier to hold a dealer liable and you can force them to give you a loaner for screwing it up.

Going to a reputable non-dealer shop was what got him into this situation to begin with. In some cases it's best to do it yourself, in others it's best to find a decent shop, and in still others it's best to just go to the dealer. The trans is a dealer situation.

Going to a reputable non-dealer shop was what got him into this situation to begin with. In some cases it's best to do it yourself, in others it's best to find a decent shop, and in still others it's best to just go to the dealer. The trans is a dealer situation.

1. Who said the shop he went to is reputable?

2. Why do you feel the trans is a dealer-only situation? It's an automatic transmission. It's not some rare tech that only special super duper Ford certified mechanics can work on.

Why not?

Easier to hold a dealer liable and you can force them to give you a loaner for screwing it up.

Easier? If a shop is willing to warranty their work, what's the difference? You have me on the loaner part though. A shop won't do that.

1. Who said the shop he went to is reputable?

2. Why do you feel the trans is a dealer-only situation? It's an automatic transmission. It's not some rare tech that only special super duper Ford certified mechanics can work on.

All automatics are not the same. This isn't a 70s muscle car transmission. It's a computer controlled transmission with lots of parts to screw up.

Members online

No members online now.
Back