Why should I or shouldn't I question / Gen I vs. Gen II

hinzy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at another Lincoln LS ---- 2002 LSE w/ 88k miles

I really like the look of the Gen I LSE with the side skirts and all.

What are the pro's and con's of going Gen I over Gen II?

I want to make a pretty informed decision and figured you are the guys to guide me :D

a2482508.gif

d09d05af.gif

23c0aafc.gif

The car is nice but gen 1's have a few more problem than gen 2's although they all eventually seem to have similar problems. Seems like the timing chains on gen 1's are the biggest issue as they can result in some expensive repairs. A lot of other things were updated for the gen 2 as well. This has been covered a billion times before so you may want to search around the site a little.

It really comes down to pricing and what you like/want. If the price is good and the car has been well maintained (which it appears to be) then the gen 1's aren't drastically different from gen 2.

You will not be happy going from gen II to gen I.

If I have kept track correctly, he just bought an 04, but hasn't driven it yet due to having no valid license or something like that.

Correct... Bought an '04. Started looking for some LSE conversion stuff and so far just came up with a front bumper. Been seeing some nice looking LSE's for sale and thought about just buying the car mostly how I want it rather than changing what I have since I'm not much of a car guy.... I just know what I like visually :rolleyes: ....... But all the LSE's I find are either way expensive Gen II's or decent price Gen I's

But all the LSE's I find are either way expensive Gen II's or decent price Gen I's

The only "LSE" gen2's I find are the 2006 ones. It's an LSE minus the stick-on spoiler. The 2006 seems to have fewer problems although things like the suspension issues are pretty much universal on these cars. Gen 1's seem to have more specific issues with the timing chains, trans solenoid pack, and hydraulic fan setup. All seem to suffer from potentially finicky suspension, COPs, and assorted electrical issues. Your mileage may vary.

If I have kept track correctly, he just bought an 04, but hasn't driven it yet due to having no valid license or something like that.

I just had a 1984 moment there... LOL!

To be fair, timing chain tensioners could be a problem across all years with the 3.9. It may be more of an issue with eventual failure after x amount of miles, rather than generation of LS.

That being said, if it were ME looking for an LS right now, I most definitely would not be looking at one 10+ years old. I have no problem driving a 10 year old car (obviously) but I've put 100k miles on the car myself.

the only 1 gen i would even consider would be a manual trans, and that a big IF (i would rather just get a manual trans on a car with some serious power). other than that, there is pretty much no way i would want a 1 gen again after owning a 2nd.

Picking up my 06 this weekend after owning an 02 for seven years. Ill get back to you.

As an enthusiast I would like to someday own a 2002 LSE. Just because yes they are damn sexy. But it would have to have less then 65k and even then I would change all the things that commonly go out. And also it would be more for show then a daily driver. If your looking for a daily driver and it already has 88k look out. You'd be much better off financially with a gen II with 88k. If you buy the LSE gen I you'll likely spend as much on repairs as you would have spent if you would have just gotten a newer one to begin with.

Alot of wisdom in T-money post on any vehicle purchase. Real appropriate on these LSs!!! Pay now or pay more later!!!

Buy it, no questions. Gen 1 LSE's are hotand that one looks exceptional from the pics you posted. But then again I'm kind of biased :) From what I understand the timming tentioners were updated to the all metal body by the time the 02 LSE's came out. I have 166k on my 02 LSE and have no isues with my timing tentioners but I am going to replace them all soon. I want to prevent a problem before it occurs. You will have the COP issues (as with ANY year LS) and you will have suspension issues (as with ANY year LS) and you will have hydraulic fan issues (as with ANY gen1). You already have a gen2 so go ahead and get this very nice looking gen1, take care of it well and keep the gen1 LSE alive!

Edit...I hate when people take pictures of very nice cars and leave the damn garden hose strung out in the back ground. And I also hate when people say libary instead of library....but thats a whole other issue.

first gens suck a$$:shifty:
Almost all gen 2 owners will say gen 1 is the red headed step child. I fully disagree. Most of the problem areas are likely already repaired on a gen 1 and may not have been on a gen 2. Prices on gen 2's are insane right now for what you get. As long as its not a car driven in the salt/sand, then there is nothing wrong with a gen 1. It will obviously be easier to find a clean lower mileage gen 2, but to say gen 1 is not worth considering is just ignorant.

first gens suck a$$:shifty:
Almost all gen 2 owners will say gen 1 is the red headed step child. I fully disagree. Most of the problem areas are likely already repaired on a gen 1 and may not have been on a gen 2. Prices on gen 2's are insane right now for what you get. As long as its not a car driven in the salt/sand, then there is nothing wrong with a gen 1. It will obviously be easier to find a clean lower mileage gen 2, but to say gen 1 is not worth considering is just ignorant.

Have you owned or driven a gen II? I have driven gen I (when it was new) and gen II. I passed on the gen I and bought two gen IIs. I haven't heard anyone who has had both to say to say to gen the gen I.

If the above 02 is in the conditon it appears to be from the picture, some may give it due diligence and strongly consider it just because it has the LSE package. And then again, some would not care regardless. For the sake of this conversation, I enjoy my 2000. I have added all of the mods most add and now am focusing on the engine for even more performance. I know some would have never put the money into headwork that I did, but, I chose to. Why? Because it was too good of an example of an early 2000(March 18th I believe....off of the top of my head) model year LS to let go. Hell, my car still has the original alternator, fuel pump, and starter to name off a few main items(212,000) on those items. I know there have been issues with them, but, it was hard for me to cast aside one that honestly works. But now that I have the gen 1 about where I want it, yes, I want an 06 just to have bookend models.....just to say I have them out of love for the LS.

^^ The ls has such a loving fan base. I have the 06 and now want the 02, 04, 05, and some more 06's lol. Just so I'll always have one around. Just need to find a job soon that pays worth a damn

but to say gen 1 is not worth considering is just ignorant.

maybe your definition of ignorant is different from mine, but i'm actually speaking from experience. i have owned both cars so i actually know all of the differences first hand. not to mention my 1st gen had 1/3 the miles that my 2ng gen had when bought. its the little changes that make the bog difference for me. for instance, it used to drive me crazy ever time leaving a drive through, while checking to make sure that the order is right and then having to hold the damn window switch till the window got to the top, instead now i can just push the button and let it roll the window up (and the pass side too), those damn ninja cup holders, the useless center console storage, heated AND cooled seats, that stay on longer than 10 min, that have different intensity's other than hotter than a thousand suns, that are also completely automatic and that never have to be turned on...

the only thing that would be ignorant would be to ignore the fact that they made a hell of a lot of improvements with the second generation.

i didnt buy a luxury car because i was big on downgrading, so that's is why i can say that 99% of all 1st gens are not worth considering.

But I will say this. If holding a button for 5 seconds to roll a window up is a effort for you, find a gymnasium quickly because I would hate to see your frustration if your tv remote control does not work and you have to get up and actually turn channel. LOL

Kidding.....kidding...

maybe your definition of ignorant is different from mine, but i'm actually speaking from experience. i have owned both cars so i actually know all of the differences first hand. not to mention my 1st gen had 1/3 the miles that my 2ng gen had when bought. its the little changes that make the bog difference for me. for instance, it used to drive me crazy ever time leaving a drive through, while checking to make sure that the order is right and then having to hold the damn window switch till the window got to the top, instead now i can just push the button and let it roll the window up (and the pass side too), those damn ninja cup holders, the useless center console storage, heated AND cooled seats, that stay on longer than 10 min, that have different intensity's other than hotter than a thousand suns, that are also completely automatic and that never have to be turned on...

the only thing that would be ignorant would be to ignore the fact that they made a hell of a lot of improvements with the second generation.

i didnt buy a luxury car because i was big on downgrading, so that's is why i can say that 99% of all 1st gens are not worth considering.

Wow, makes me glad the 2001 I went to buy was sold out from under me.

Why? LOL. Loud has his valid reasons . Other than the window deal, the other points are easily remedied if one chose to. And down deep, Loud knows this to be true. Changing to the updated cupholder is not some great Herculean effort to do and a remote start easily fixes having a cool car on a hot day.

Power seems to be what most point to but I bet there is a portion of gen 2 owners who would get driven around on a road course by a gen 1 with just a above average driver. Having power means little if one does not have the skill to maximize it .

Have you owned or driven a gen II? I have driven gen I (when it was new) and gen II. I passed on the gen I and bought two gen IIs. I haven't heard anyone who has had both to say to say to gen the gen I.
I asked you in another thread why you felt so strongly that way though I think the thread went to the wayside. I honestly want to hear, because there's not too many daily drivers that will be acceptable replacements for my '02 that are also affordable (not as great a value as when I got my 02 but today's market is a lot different). An '06 LS is on the list so I really want to know, not just asking for the fun of it or to be abrasive. It sounds night and day to you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back