What did you do to your LS today?

So far......and that is a long time......I have never hit a deer with these installed. I HAVE come CLOSE a few times. Before I ran these on all vehicles, back in the 80s, I hit EIGHT deer on vehicles tat didn't have them.
So I say, it's 6 dollars and change......what does it hurt? don-ohio :)^)

That's bad too. You just can't win for losing, Don.

I changed the oil and replaced airbag pigtail under seat. The pigtail was to address the 3-6 code but it didn't work, bummer I was hoping to get rid of that light. Borrowed a friends lift to do oil change, I gotta get me one of those, so much better than crawling underneath.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Yes,Rick,it saves me old back,legs, and arms. Much safer than jackstands. I wish Ida got one 20 yrs. ago.LOL! don-ohio :)^)

So far......and that is a long time......I have never hit a deer with these installed. I HAVE come CLOSE a few times. Before I ran these on all vehicles, back in the 80s, I hit EIGHT deer on vehicles tat didn't have them.
So I say, it's 6 dollars and change......what does it hurt? don-ohio :)^)

To the LVC community, please note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJZbXxSc9HY

http://www.deercrash.org/Toolbox/CMToolboxWhistles.pdf

In contrast, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety also published a status report in
which it reviewed at least two studies that appeared to produce the opposite result of
those indicated above (4). First, an article from the mid-February 1993 Farm Journal
was reviewed that stated the Ohio State Police, after installing deer whistles on their
patrol vehicles, did not experience a DVC reduction
(4). In addition, it was also stated
that the Georgia Game and Fish Department had not observed, during hundreds of
encounters, any deer response to vehicles with deer whistles installed
(4).

The article stated that wildlife biologists at the University of
Georgia had found that neither deer nor humans could hear these ultrasonic sounds, and
that whistles blown by mouth produced no response from penned deer. The IIHS
summary also indicated that University of Wisconsin researchers had found that the
whistles produced low-pitch and ultrasonic sounds at 30 to 70 mph, but that no response
from deer was observed

... indicated that the “range of greatest hearing sensitivity” for deer is between two and six kHz

the results of the laboratory tests do not match the
frequencies typically advertised as those produced by the deer whistles. The 16 to 20 kHz
sound range advertised
for two of the air-activated whistles is also outside the “best”
range of deer hearing capabilities.

... concluded that the harmonics of the devices they studied were not likely
to be heard by deer
unless they were broadcast at very high intensities. The 12 khz
whistles produce a sound that is outside the “best” hearing range of deer

... the researchers also indicate
that there is a likelihood that the deer that feed near roadways will habituate to both the
sound of the vehicles and that of the alert devices
if they are heard

It has also been generally
concluded that deer did not react to vehicle-mounted air-activated deer whistles, and that
hearing the sound from these devices might be difficult when combined with typical
vehicle roadway noise levels. The ability of whistles to produce the advertised level of
sound at an adequate distance within the typical environment of a roadway has been
questioned.

These "air-activated deer whistles" are nothing more then a fantasy, you'd have better luck sticking your head out the window and yelling loudly.

Simply another fairy tail bubble gum solution ... snakes oil ... THEY DON'T WORK ... other then to separate the consumer with it's dollars.

If they worked so darn well, why after all these years, did/does the auto and truck manufactures simply not build such a concept into their designs?

An extensive study is not important nor relative some would assume/argue/debate. Those being the gullible foolish type.

money-down-the-toilet.jpg

Anyhow ... you believe what you will ... a fool and his money are soon parted!

money-down-the-toilet.jpg

What about the pressure of the deer crashing thru yer windshield? LOL! don-ohio :)^)

Upon notice of inevitable impact, release the brakes and steer straight.

By releasing the brakes the nose diving stops and thus provides a better opportunity of the deer (wildlife) to go underneath or bounce off as apposed to catapulting above the vehicle.

'Deer coming through the windshield' is often due to the fact that the person operating the vehicle is in a panic state, braking aggressively. This effort lowers the front end significantly enough to begin to 'scoop' the animal up and over the front of the vehicle. By immediately releasing the brakes just moments before impact, the angle is changed, often enough to make a difference.

Speed is your worst enemy, speed kills. Pay attention to your surroundings and always remain alert, scan the ditches and heed the posted warning signs.

DON'T Fn SWERVE !!! <--- this is where people get killed, head-ons with oncoming traffic, out of control roll overs, into the rocks that sorta thing.

STAY STRAIGHT, never mind your car, it can be fixed or replaced.

Natural instinct is to swerve due to being startled, don't do it! STAY STRAIGHT!

~ of course this is all easier said then done but it's something to think about.

Upon notice of inevitable impact, release the brakes and steer straight.

By releasing the brakes the nose diving stops and thus provides a better opportunity of the deer (wildlife) to go underneath or bounce off as apposed to catapulting above the vehicle.

The LS (and a good number of sporty vehicles) don't nose-dive like the old days and FWD appliances; I'll bet your rig doesn't either. My BMW has "adaptive" brake lights (they flash upon very heavy braking) to alert drivers behind as the nose doesn't dive and the rear stick up in the air like a duck with its head under water!

MRW I start the LS

giphy.gif

MRW when I take people to the destination and back, but I'm the only one who is worried something might have gone wrong

villain-friends-landa.gif

I was getting almost 25mpg with cruise set to 70 (reset at speed) before I hit construction. I was surprised how much it dropped with a single slowdown. Then it dropped even faster when I got to the interchanges near home between 3 highways and some town driving. Then after the next two days of commuting (no stretch of highway longer than 6 miles), I really came to understand how terrible my route is for fuel mileage, especially with my driving style, as it's now in the 16s. I feel much better about the car's efficiency.

2016-04-15 20.36.12.jpg

villain-friends-landa.gif

giphy.gif

2016-04-15 20.36.12.jpg

With a tach number at 2000 and 70 mph,I guess you have some serious tall tires,or the higher ratio rear end,FDR? I believe both my 6cyl and 8 cyl. have the 3.58 rear end.
I'm glad to have it on the V6, but for the V8 I could use a higher ratio. don-ohio :)^)

Last edited:
Yours reads higher, right? Most Gen 1 V8s have 3.31s (like mine). All Gen 1 V6 Autos have 3.58s. Manuals have 3.05s.

Gen 2 Sport V8s have 3.58s, non-sport V8s have 3.31s. I assume Gen 2 Sport V6s have 3.58s, but I don't know about Gen 2 V6 non-sports

Yes,my tach reads higher. Guess mine is a Sport V8 then? It's definitely 3:58 gears. My Mustang is 3:31. , but not independent suspension. don-ohio :)^)

Just finished mucking around with the wife's 03 LS V8, put the summer wheels back on. Couple of issues with some of the lug nuts, will have to get some new ones, had a bag of lug nuts from my stocker wheels from the 01 V8 Sport so I sacrificed a few. The 03 is going to need front passenger lower outer tie rod and brakes all around.

Observed she took a slight rubbing on the right rear corner of the bumper, looks like either a white or silver car got too close. She of course says she didn't do it. I'll have to buff most of it out and touch up where it flexed and chipped the paint. It's ever so small and minor but still a pisser.

Pulled out all her plastics I had taped into the foot wells to keep the salt from getting to the carpets, vacuumed it out and currently got her Loyd mats and others in the tub getting a good soaking and scrubbing.

Never even got to my 04 LSE and the Maxima also needs it's summers installed.

Do plan on starting the 01 V8 Sport up this evening and getting her out the garage for some fresh air. Have some firewood to bring out and around the corner of the house, need to make more room so I can get at the tentioner job on that LS.

Fn fun never stops I tell ya!

Wanna buy a slightly used K&N filter for that box?

Crap yes I see now, OEM looks different. Looks like it needs a good cleaning, no? I use Spray Nine to clean dirty oiled air filters, works wonders.

Trick is of course to be sure all the water after cleaning is out and dried for a day or so and when oiling to not over do it, also to let is soak in bit before install.

Can trigger CEL related to MAF sensor needing cleaning if it gets too much oil.

Now THIS is the same one I bought 3 years ago at tractor supply(I bought 4 of them).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVision-Tra...ash=item2a546e7f22:g:S6cAAOSwPcVV2uTf&vxp=mtr

I mounted it on the Mustang and the toggle switch
is down on the dash on the left. Very loud out in front of the car.
It is the only one I've ever seen that makes the squirrels get out of the way. Worked fine for the last three years.Totally weatherproof.
The electronic ones work at all speeds,but the cheaper air flow type only work above 35 mph.
don-ohio :)^)

P.S.: Another thing.....this will keep your plastic parts safe.LOL

That is what you did to your LS today?

Mind not fouling up this fantastic thread I started some time ago!

Just so that you are clear, this thread is dedicated to "What did you do to your LS today?" ... Not fairy tale stories without pictures or other useless poorly constructed rebuttals.

Thank you for your understanding and 'somewhat' contributions!

Keep this thread clean and on subject if at all possible. I've recently had it raised as a sticky due to it's popularity and really don't want to see it all fouled up with garbage. Thank you!

The community clicks this thread link to see what others have done to their LS'es and discussions follow.

Pics are a MUST !!! (preferably)

This evening I had hopes to finish up with starting up the Silver 01 V8 and give it a rip down the road and back just to loosen up the arthritis. Think again! APPARENTLY someone Fn disconnected a cord (battery tender) from the power bar to make sure the Xmass lights would go back on one night after a power failure. (I had a bundle on a timer for the xmass lights)

Yeah, so no start on the 01 .... flat drained battery ... it's on the charger until the morning. Back on the Tender after that.

#NoStartNoSpin

Finished up the evening with some detailing of her ride, 03 Black LS V8 looks good in the evening all polished up (not looking at it the morning) w/ summer wheels.

... Hood latch greased, stuck, had to pop it with a screw driver and rag.

Finally got my spoiler painted and installed. It looks dark in the photos for some reason but it matches real good.
CBA651A9-6EC0-4114-8927-3EF4DE6AEADD_zpssi3s2ymp.jpg

A3C946C0-CA1A-460C-8A84-785A75AFAEE5_zps0xhslde3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got 6" of wet heavy snow on Friday April 8th, so I was glad I still had the winter/snow tire on the car. The snow was all melted by the following Monday morning and the forecast called for rising temps. So Tuesday after work I installed the summer/warmer weather wheels/tires on the both the LS and the wife's daily driver. It felt great to have those Michelin Pilot Sports tires back under the LS as I drove her to the airport parking lot Wednesday morning.

I got back home over this past weekend and decided to finally install the K&N cold air kit #57-2562 yesterday on my Gen II V8 Sport. Now I have never really liked the oiled cotton gaze filter media that K&N uses if their filters. The oil tends to foul the Ford MAF sensors. So instead of using the K&N #RC-4630 filter that is included in the kit, I ordered an AEM #21-2147DK dry flow air cleaner. It is almost the exact same size, so there were no fitment issues. I love the sound of the car now. Up to 3000 RPM with a light throttle you can barely hear any difference - even with the windows down and the stereo off. But nail the throttle and/or run her to 6000 RPM and she now has a very nice healthy growl. You finally realize there is a V8 under the hood. The darn OEM setup with the Helmholtz tubes in the intake makes the LS as quite as a Towncar. I will most likely swap back to the factory setup in the winter months, due to the fact that it offers better protection of the filter media from any potential snow build-up in the engine compartment. Sorry for the bad picture in the bright sun light and the dirty engine compartment.

DSC01932rs.jpg

just recieved my motorcraft parts the other night. dont have my fel pro kit yet so i begin disconnecting everything 13036366_10156807704900402_1512120442_o.jpg I will also be installing my HID kit. I still need to order a 9005 kit for my fogs 13009828_10156807707310402_1217907419_o.jpg

13036366_10156807704900402_1512120442_o.jpg

13009828_10156807707310402_1217907419_o.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back