P0022 then P0021

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My 2004 V8 with 281k miles threw a P0022 (Over retarded) code yesterday. The car seemed to be running fine with no missing. After researching, the oil is clean and full. Looking at the connector, the green wire casing was split and I could see bare wire inside. I wrapped the green wire with some electrical tape and cleared the code to see if that may have fixed it. Pulling into the driveway this evening, the car was really running rough. I checked the codes and P0021 (Over advanced). Is there a way to check continuity of the entire length of wire to the PCM or close to it? Or is this a VCT solenoid issue?

I just replaced the front cover and head gaskets. There was no visible damage to the secondary chain tensioner and the chain was tight so my best guess is either a wiring issue or the VCT (or is it a VVT? my manual says VCT but Rockauto says VVT).

Not a very common code...I did do a search prior to posting.

... Is there a way to check continuity of the entire length of wire to the PCM or close to it? ...
Disconnect the connector at the solenoid, and at the PCM. Measure the resistance between the pin and the solenoid connector and the pin at the PCM. Also check for leakage between either of those pins and ground.

That said, this may be a mechanical issue with the synchronizer/phaser.

Screenshot_20230919-112737.png

Disconnect the connector at the solenoid, and at the PCM. Measure the resistance between the pin and the solenoid connector and the pin at the PCM. Also check for leakage between either of those pins and ground.

That said, this may be a mechanical issue with the synchronizer/phaser.
Thanks, I see that I would need to pull the cabin filter to get to the PCM connector, right? I can't seem to find a diagram to determine which connector to pull to check continuity/resistance.

Head gaskets... or valve cover gaskets?

Valve cover gaskets...!

Screenshot_20230919-121032.png

Pic doesn't match the connector on the the LS V8, so probably a stock photo.

But the part # should be correct. Don't know if it would be special order through a parts store, but I would imagine somebody can get it in.

The phaser is part of the cam sprocket. The VVT solenoid controls oil flow through the phaser... Which advances or retards camshaft timing for all 4 cylinders on one side of the engine.

VCT... Variable Camshaft Timing.

Pretty much the same thing.

The VVT solenoid controls oil flow through the cam phaser... which adjusts cam timing... based on throttle position and other parameters.

If the wire to the VVT solenoid is bad, the computer can't adjust the cam timing properly.

Thus the code.

However... Joe made a good point. Seems like you have been having trouble on the drivers side of the engine for a bit now.

That could mean the drivers side cam phaser might be having issues.

Start with repairing/replacing the connector first.

VCT... Variable Camshaft Timing.

Pretty much the same thing.

The VVT solenoid controls oil flow through the cam phaser... which adjusts cam timing... based on throttle position and other parameters.

If the wire to the VVT solenoid is bad, the computer can't adjust the cam timing properly.

Thus the code.

However... Joe made a good point. Seems like you have been having trouble on the drivers side of the engine for a bit now.

That could mean the drivers side cam phaser might be having issues.

Start with repairing/replacing the connector first.
Hah!...you posted when I was typing VVT vs VCT.

The only problems I have been having are over the past day or so. First an "over retarded" code, then an "over advanced" code. All within 10 miles of driving, if that.

I will start with the wire. I'm not sure if the back and forth...retarded/advanced, points more to an electrical issue or a mechanical issue. Hopefully it's the connector. Regardless, it needs to be changed.

The wiring diagram doesn't identify the VCT solenoids by bank or side, unless 1 means bank 1.

PCM connector C175b pin 1 (white/black) goes to VCT 1. Pin 13 (white/violet) goes to VCT 2. Both are powered by Fuse 5 (15A) in the under hood fuse box. Fuse 5 should be live when the key is in run or start.

The wiring diagram doesn't identify the VCT solenoids by bank or side, unless 1 means bank 1.

PCM connector C175b pin 1 (white/black) goes to VCT 1. Pin 13 (white/violet) goes to VCT 2. Both are powered by Fuse 5 (15A) in the under hood fuse box. Fuse 5 should be live when the key is in run or start.
Thanks...I think I found the connector pinouts. I will check the fuse and I have started to pull out the cabin filter box.

2012-02-09_021145_ls5.gif

Members online

No members online now.
Back