laser next car

my dad bought the first 89 sho in middle tn when i was a kid that thing would FLY. i was with him when he blew the doors off of a small block nova with a big cam. that guy never returned to receive his tong lashing.

sho = super high output. mark viii = super low output slo. you gotta love Yamaha

Lord knows I'm not a fan of wrong-wheel-drive, but that SHO's niiiice! Ever thought of putting one of the later 3.4L V-8's into it? I don't know a lot about them, FWD and all, but I think the 3.4 was like a 3.0 Duratec with two cylinders added on. Bell housing pattern and accessory mount points should be similar if not the same. I don't know if it's ever been done before, but I think it would be pretty cool. Just a thought. :)

dunno about a v8 swap into an older car, but a mtx has been put into a v8 at least twice.
but i doubt it. the v8s weren't very impressive.
a v6 mtx with a turbo or nitrous will kill lots of things dead very quickly.

I love new aftermarket parts. The SHOs tubular LCAs showed up this morning. Guess I need to get it in the air and do some work. :)

Very nice construction and a VAST improvement over the crappy stamped steel LCAs in the car.

IMGP0002-4.jpg

IMGP0003-3.jpg

IMGP0005-3.jpg

This one? Prolly never. A friend on another board asked me about the car. I told him I would prolly sell it in a couple months. He called dibbs. I told him it needed new rear LCA bushings and I wasnt gonna buy them. He said hed pay so I searched. Turns out you cant get them any more. Only alternative were these tubular ones so he ordered them and had them drop shipped. :)

This one? Prolly never. A friend on another board asked me about the car. I told him I would prolly sell it in a couple months. He called dibbs. I told him it needed new rear LCA bushings and I wasnt gonna buy them. He said hed pay so I searched. Turns out you cant get them any more. Only alternative were these tubular ones so he ordered them and had them drop shipped. :)

HE
ordered them? That's beyond dibbs now! Looks like he must really want the car which means it won't be your sig pic much longer! Well, I guess just like many members on this board, we just look forward to seeing you in a Mark someday again. You are one of the cool peeps that actually stays on the board even though your Mark VIII days are long gone. <-- Hope that's not the case.

HE
ordered them? That's beyond dibbs now! Looks like he must really want the car which means it won't be your sig pic much longer! Well, I guess just like many members on this board, we just look forward to seeing you in a Mark someday again. You are one of the cool peeps that actually stays on the board even though your Mark VIII days are long gone. <-- Hope that's not the case.
I have a Mark. Its a 93. Sapperfire is driving it right now.

Anywho man these LCAs are kicking my arse. The part that was supposed to be hard was easy so when I get to the easy part expecting it to be easy as well....... well you know how that works. :lol:
Damn LCA bushings are siezed to the spindle bolts. Gonna have to cut them off I guess.
Now I see why the ass would wiggle. The Bushing that controlls camber/castor is supposed to be attached to the LCA. After removing the bolt it just FELL out and rolled across the car port. :eek:

I also see why the parking brake wasnt hooked back up by the previous owner. Lines are seized. Also missing the "Y" that triggers the light.

So here are some pics of the wonderful OEM arms in the car. That bushing is supposed to stay attached to the LCA. Can see its been worn down and out.

IMGP0007-1.jpg

IMGP0008-3.jpg

IMGP0009-5.jpg

Fuggin SHO. Had to cut every single spindle to LCA bushing and sleeve off. Also there is one bolt that refuses to come out. Cant get a good angle on the head to cut it off. Been pounding the thing with a 5lb sledge and it just wont budge. Tried using my new C clamp and it just split in half (the C clamp). :eek:
So Sapper is gonna come back out tomorrow with a larger clamp to see if we can get that bolt to pop.
So this is where we gave up at. You will notice one arm is cut in half. Thats the one with the seized bolt. Its seized to the inner sleeve in the bushing.

IMGP0014-2.jpg

Yeah, its an Illinois car. Tried the air hammer too and the bolt still wouldnt budge. Not sure what to do next if Sapperfires clamp idea dont work.

Oh ok. I was afraid that was a tx car. If it was it would be on my list of states ill never live in.

My Texas cars have all been pristine underneath. This was the first Northern car I ever bought and it will be my last.
Do you guys charge more per hour to work on cars or just charge more hours? Cause man that is a royal PITA to work through all that chit. Gotta knock rust off bolts before you can put a dman socket on them and then you get to suck rust every time you smack the car with a hammer. Yuck.

No rust up here. Everything is perfect.

If it poses a problem we will charge more when we get those cars though.

Laser, did you see my post about the sway bars on Gen 1s? You can usually get them chap as hell from the JY an make so much difference. Also, if you have a pair of rotors and brake brackets for a Mark laying around you can do the "96 big brake" upgrade on the front. It will fit behind the stock wheels and give you a bigger rotor.

On another note, there are videos on YouTube somewhere... A kid took a Gen 2, like yors with a Aerostar bellhousing adaptor and made the car rwd, it's pretty neat, he just never turned the intake around... Lemme find a vid.

Rear wheel drive SHO "clutch didn't hold" - YouTube

http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=103961
That's my old car, had it for 5 years. It was a 95 MTX with a Black Interior. 95 was the last year for a gen2 and least number of all years with a manual trans. Also, black interior was not an option in 95, it stopped in 93. ER doctor bought my car, he has 4 other SHOs, one of which is turbo'd. My car has since been repainted.

My Texas cars have all been pristine underneath. This was the first Northern car I ever bought and it will be my last.

LOL!!!

Welcome to my world motherfuger... I detest rust with every bone in my body.
Makes even the most simplistic job a nightmare.

Four letter words start to flow off the tongue.

Dude, that thing isn't even a car anymore..it's a group of rust particles just holding hands

I'll bring my angle grinder too, probably easier to just cut the head off the bolt, then shear the rest of the bolt off the other end, pry the suspension box open enough to drop it out. Wish the exhaust wasn't right in the F*ing way

I'm telling ya man...Mark-8 motor swap is easier than what we're doing...and we're only dealing with 4 bolts...I feel like a failure...

I wish Santa wouldve brought me a friend that doesn't torture me

Got the passenger side done. The rear is much more solid now then it was with the factory crap. I used to be able to wiggle the rear hub front to back but now its freakin solid. Now just gotta figure out how to pop that last bolt free from its sleeve.

IMGP0015-2.jpg

You have to get it blazing red frickin hot.

Got a hot wrench?
Can't work on rusty cars without one.

Put a hot wrench on it for several minutes yesterday. Its a low tq hot wrench though so it couldn't turn the bolt. :(

That sucks....need the primo one.
One that throws sparks all over if need be.

Got a cutoff tool? Maybe just a light weight dremel with a cutoff wheel.

Cut the bitsh... replace.

Rust blows...

Gonna try. That pic angle is deceptive. The exhaust blocks the bolt head perfectly. Even with the exhaust out of the way the spare tire well blocks it too much to hit it straight on with a dremel cutter. Wore out one blade and broke another trying. Hell we burned through two reciprocating saw blades trying to cut the damn thing. :lol:
That bolt really loves its home.

Members online

No members online now.
Back