Hub swap/front brake mod

speedo gear is in trans. the tail housing at the back.

gets changed to reflect the gearing in the pumpkin.

Pretty much the only way you will find a bolt in differental with 3.73s or higher is buying used from a Mark, Thunderbird, or 1999 Cobra that the owner had built.
let's say I find an entire IRS rear end from a 99 Cobra, what all can I use? shocks? diff/pumpkin? half shafts?

let's say I find an entire IRS rear end from a 99 Cobra, what all can I use? shocks? diff/pumpkin? half shafts?

I'd say get on a few mustang forums and start asking if anyone with a cobra has swapped to a solid axle..and buy all the stuff off him..easiest way. No way you're gonna find one in a junkyard and wrecked ones are usually stripped of anything useful.

finished bleeding the brakes, then put the wheels on, lowered it, cranked down on the axle nuts w/ a 48'' steel pipe
---
P8010003_zpsba73af1d.jpg

---
P8010004_zps5e479b27.jpg

---
i 'think' I may be buying some 1'' dropped springs before long

if you just put it on the ground, it should settle a little the first time you drive it.

looks good though.

thx C, the front lug studs are too long for the nuts that came with these wheels. i guess I''ll have to 'double nut' em? put an open nut down tight, then the polished, trim lug nut on top....
---
wheels are 30mm offset...245/45/17 tires, 5 rims on 5 mismatched performance treads

thx C, the front lug studs are too long for the nuts that came with these wheels. i guess I''ll have to 'double nut' em? put an open nut down tight, then the polished, trim lug nut on top....
---
wheels are 30mm offset...245/45/17 tires, 5 rims on 5 mismatched performance treads
Trim studs down?

Or use the open lug nuts only, until you find a solution. Double lug nutted is going to look stupid.

the rear lug stud lengths are fine, it's the fronts that are too long...the factory Mustang hub/bearing assemblies

I love those 98 Cobra wheels, my all time favorite OE mustang wheel. Need some better pics now.

the rear lug stud lengths are fine, it's the fronts that are too long...the factory Mustang hub/bearing assemblies

Do the mustang studs have the first 1/4 inch of the stud with no threads like a mk8 stud? If so just trim it off.

Did you buy the right lug nuts cause mine fit fine
Over the mustang studs.
I bought the rims/tires, caps and nuts from the previous owner, he had em on a Fox Mousetang
---
Do the mustang studs have the first 1/4 inch of the stud with no threads like a mk8 stud? If so just trim it off.
I'll look again after work tonight, and measure what's sticking out...I wonder if there's an aberration with the rotor depth- causing there to be more stud exposed...the way the studs are hidden in the wheels, i don't 'think' dbl-nutting would look bad or stand out

Did you buy the right lug nuts cause mine fit fine
Over the mustang studs.
lug stud lengths etc., and the variety of nuts i bought with the rims
--
P8010528_zpsac07ba68.jpg

---
P8010530_zpsf9dadc0f.jpg

---
closed/finish-nut as far as it can go down
--
P8010531_zps6a9d33e9.jpg

----
P8010532_zps301f6421.jpg

---
plenty of depth for dbl nut w/out sticking out past the recess?
P8010534_zps26b44c80.jpg

drove this car tonight,
----
P8010527_zps25e7c64d.jpg

---
first time in about a month or more.....way out of alignment, pulls to the right, none of the tires are real bad so I guess the swapped knuckles have me all cattywampus...it drove real straight and smooth before the swap
-----
(I have NO IDEA why it looks like I'm sporting a 1'' lift kit now)

Those are not stock studs. Those are 2.5 inch racing studs that previous owner installed. These are the style lugs that are used on those studs.
005-18.jpg

solution = push em out, pull new ones in?
or I could have used the new hubs I ordered then had returned :facesjump

re; alignment, is there a specific brand/type of machine I should look for to get optimal results? I've been going to the local NTB b/c it's close, but ...well, they have disappointed repeatedly

and.......a leak
---
P8010536_zps2d9bd2c6.jpg

----
P8010539_zpsd4fc901c.jpg

---
P8010540_zpscc3fcc92.jpg

----
P8010543_zps664a1c22.jpg

---
pretty sure this only started leaking after i test drove it, maybe i pierced a piston dust boot when installing pads? (8 new copper washers around all 4 banjos, all 4 calipers rebuilt)

Fluid will not leak out if there are holes in dust boots. I work on cars all the time and boots are F'ed up and no leaking.

Members online

Back