"Cash for Clunkers" puts the LS where is belongs

ls is collectors item :-D

One thing i dont think people are understanding about being labeled as a "clunker", It has nothing to do with the quality or the brand or the condition. They are going solely off the listed average mpg. I am sure there are alot of nice cars that are being labeled as clunkers because their combined mileage is 18 mpg or less. My LS gets 26 mpg with the cruise set at 75 mph on the highway as most LS's due, but once you pull off the highway that number drops drastically. Thats the downfall of the LS.

My LS gets 26 mpg with the cruise set at 75 mph on the highway as most LS's due, but once you pull off the highway that number drops drastically. That's the downfall of the LS.

That's the "downfall" of every car. Turn off the a/c, roll the windows down and enjoy the fresh air while getting much better mpg.

so...
how long before your dump your LS and the bitchin stops?

Well if you read thru probably the first 4-5 pages of this forum i am hardly the only person bitchin about their LS. Maybe i'll delay my getting rid of the LS just to annoy you. Arent you the one who stated awhile ago that you added me to the list of ignored users so you wouldnt even see my posts?? By all means.... block my posts if it really matters that much.

man up and either fix it or sell it.

I did man up yesterday and took the first step in selling it. Why the hell would i wanna dump hundreds of dollars to fix a car when i most definately am getting rid of it. Im flying out to North Carolina tomorrow otherwise my quest to dump the LS would continue thru the weekend. The dealer wants $2k down and i am more than willing to pay that to get a brand new car in my driveway, its now a matter of working a deal on the price of something new, Ford actually has alot of good programs on new vehicles but only a fool goes in and pays what they print on the sticker. Atleast then if by some unfortunate event something fails with the new car i drop it off and dont pay a dime to get it fixed and can continue to do so for years to come. My personal opinions dont change the fact that the LS was poorly designed by Ford in regards to the coils/VCG, etc. I have a co-worker that owned a new Thunderbird and they had they same BS problems with it. Regardless of what you or i think they did a terrible job with a handful of aspects with that platform and go figure its gone.

sorry - you lost me in all the whining....

when are you selling it?

sorry - you lost me in all the whining....

when are you selling it?

Like i said, it will be sold when i when i find the vehicle i want at the price i want. Dont know when the last time you've bought a new car and dealt with a dealership but its not an overnight process. Unfortunately a majority of dealerships have closed so its not like there's on on every corner anymore.

/whatever.... you can't find 'that' car .... shouldn't be hard when your LS is such a piece of crap.

So what happens when you put an un-Godly amount of miles on this new car, it's out of warranty and you have to pay for repairs while still paying off the loan? Do you just chalk it up to your "luck" of buying crap cars?

But do you really trust something made by the government? hell the government can't maintain an infrastructure let alone a car!

Holy crap.... Pete you said something that was actually thoughtful and intelligent. Granted, I realize that it was entirely by accident, but.. .GOOD JOB!!

You're 100% right on that point.

So what happens when you put an un-Godly amount of miles on this new car, it's out of warranty and you have to pay for repairs while still paying off the loan? Do you just chalk it up to your "luck" of buying crap cars?

I obviously only have bad luck with the LS. My wife's '01 Intrepid is at 108k miles and there isnt a thing wrong with it and Dodge isnt exactly known for their quality. My '97 Trans Am had 106k miles when i traded it in and it was still running strong even though i beat the hell out of it. So thats not going to be a concern. If you havent noticed almost all new cars come with a 100k powertrain warranty, some a lifetime warranty. That would give me atleast a good four years of worry free driving, and most likely at the end of that four years i'll be bored with whatever that car is and be ready to move on again. My income more than covers any negative equity i would have when it would come time to trade it in. My priority is to own a car that is always covered by a factory warranty. Four years is about how long i care to keep a car. The LS has only been out of warranty for a few months for me in regards to the coils. The LS isnt a crap car, only the engineering in regards to the coils. I understand you guys are totally into your LS and may keep it forever. You get personally involved with your car and have strong feelings about them. To me its just a vehicle to provide transportation daily. There are forums out there regarding just about every type of car, and those people are fanatics about their rides also. Good for them. As a LS owner you probably think the fanatics about Hondas are wacked. I get that same impession about the LS even though i own one myself. Its just a car folks. Some people would argue about Nike over Reeboks or PC's versus Mac's. I dont put too much emphasis in the brand of material things, and for someone to get so bent out of shape over my opinions about the LS is silly.

Dont know when the last time you've bought a new car and dealt with a dealership but its not an overnight process.

I bought my LS at the first dealership I went to and drove off with the car an hour and a half after I stepped on the lot. It's not brain surgery.

I obviously only have bad luck with the LS. My wife's '01 Intrepid is at 108k miles and there isnt a thing wrong with it and Dodge isnt exactly known for their quality. My '97 Trans Am had 106k miles when i traded it in and it was still running strong even though i beat the hell out of it. So thats not going to be a concern. If you havent noticed almost all new cars come with a 100k powertrain warranty, some a lifetime warranty. That would give me atleast a good four years of worry free driving, and most likely at the end of that four years i'll be bored with whatever that car is and be ready to move on again. My income more than covers any negative equity i would have when it would come time to trade it in. My priority is to own a car that is always covered by a factory warranty. Four years is about how long i care to keep a car. The LS has only been out of warranty for a few months for me in regards to the coils. The LS isnt a crap car, only the engineering in regards to the coils. I understand you guys are totally into your LS and may keep it forever. You get personally involved with your car and have strong feelings about them. To me its just a vehicle to provide transportation daily. There are forums out there regarding just about every type of car, and those people are fanatics about their rides also. Good for them. As a LS owner you probably think the fanatics about Hondas are wacked. I get that same impession about the LS even though i own one myself. Its just a car folks. Some people would argue about Nike over Reeboks or PC's versus Mac's. I dont put too much emphasis in the brand of material things, and for someone to get so bent out of shape over my opinions about the LS is silly.

I'm certainly not arguing. Be happy that it's only coils that go bad and not transmission sensors that go and take out the whole trans, rear ends grenading, etc. It could certainly be much worse.

I don't think the LS is the be all/end all of cars, either. If I could swing it, I most certainly would be on to something else. I'm currently debating using my quarterly bonus to pay my loan down to half of what it is now and then move on to something with more grunt.

[PeteSweets86] But then what woulud I do with ALL of my mods?1?!? Oh noes [/PeteSweets86]

Holy crap.... Pete you said something that was actually thoughtful and intelligent. Granted, I realize that it was entirely by accident, but.. .GOOD JOB!!

You're 100% right on that point.

No, not accident, just the "annoying" version of me has been dummed down since I have no weaponry (my de-mots) and my busy schedual. So expect to see some glism in my words :p

Plus I've been watching more INTELLIGENT news such as Bill Maher or Keith Olbermann. Great and fun, very informative not to mention watching the history/discovery channel on the current issues our empire is suffering.

I bought my LS at the first dealership I went to and drove off with the car an hour and a half after I stepped on the lot. It's not brain surgery.

That a way to shop around, Im sure you bargained a great deal too. New car salesman are known for their honest and speedy work. I think next to a Dentist a new car salesman is the worst person in the world to deal with. I take that back, a coroner would be the worst....but at that point no more worries.

We all have our reasons for owning the cars we drive...for some it's just a vehicle and for others it's one of the most unique things out there, so enjoy your FWD 2.0 from honda, toyota, nissan, etc...i'll keep my RWD 3.9 v8 classic in the making...oh try changing the wiring to the coils and a little rtv on the cover and it shouldn't be an issue, changed all eight coils once, wiring and sealed the cover, hasn't been an issue in over 40k

We all have our reasons for owning the cars we drive...for some it's just a vehicle and for others it's one of the most unique things out there, so enjoy your FWD 2.0 from honda, toyota, nissan, etc...i'll keep my RWD 3.9 v8 classic in the making...oh try changing the wiring to the coils and a little rtv on the cover and it shouldn't be an issue, changed all eight coils once, wiring and sealed the cover, hasn't been an issue in over 40k

I'll never go Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Acura, Lexus, etc, and i'll never go 4 banger. The V6 engines being put out these arent that bad. They actually have more horsepower than V8's from not too long ago(ah-hum LS), your just losing the torque that a V8 will produce. I think turbo/supercharged V6's are going to be the performance of the near future.

Members online

No members online now.
Back