You guys with LED lights ever experience this?

NYC LS8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
P1010017-1.gif

The lights stay dimly lit when just plugged in. They go full bright like they should when I turn the lights on.

Do they eventually go out?

I'm in contact with Ken about it, but just wanted to see if anyone else has ever had this happen...?

:Beer

Yeah, thats what happened with the bumper lights I put in my 2000.

They stay on longer than the timer stays on but they will go out eventually.

But sometimes they did stay on over night.

My tag lights didn't even work with the LED's I put back there. The first one I put in went on but the second one I put in stayed off so I messed around to see if it was the bulbs but it wasn't. Then I thought it was the sockets for the bulbs but I reversed the order I put them in and it wasn't that either.

You are not alone. I had LED lights for all my interior lights, trunk, and license plate lights. I uninstalled all of them after they all stayed on dim after I turned the car off. I remember the roof lights would stay dim even when I was driving the car. The lights will stay on for 40 minutes I believe and then turn off. I think Lincoln has a 40 minute timmer that is an automatic shut off for all the lights.

I still have LEDs for my marker lights and those stay on for about 20 minutes and then shut off after the car is off.

I know that LEDs use less output than regular halogen bulbs but at the time when my battery kept draining I thought that was the problem so I removed them all. It turned out to be a bad battery but it was annoying that these lights did not turn off.

I have the regular halogen bulbs now and to be honest they give off a greater light output than the LEDs but I do miss that nice white color when I get in the car.

Part of the reason I believe they do this is that the LEDs have very little resistance and require very little power to run (some less than 1v), so there may be a tiny bit of charge in the wires yet after turning power off. I had this happen with a few 3rd brake lights that I made for the Alero/Grand Am community. They would be very dim all the time, but function correctly. I resolved this by adding another resistor in the circuit.

Halogen bulbs dont do this because they have a lot more resistance and require more voltage to iluminate.

If anyone can add to this or correct anything...go right ahead.

~Bryce

Mine function fine when the car is on, its only dim when it is off. Otherwise they are great,...at least the bumper lights that is.

Well, I put them back in today. Car had been off since this morning, so when I put them in they weren't dimly lit. I turned on the lights then shut them, and tested the sockets with my voltmeter. Got a little over 12 volts when the lights were turned off. Tested to make sure they worked as they should then shut the lights...they stayed dimly lit but eventually went out.

Here's a before and after comparison. These fuggers are BRIGHT! A little bluish tint to them, but I like 'em.

Excuse the unclear pics - my camera sucks ass at night.

P1010015-1.jpg

P1010026-1.jpg

I think so, too. Thanks again, Ken! And if you need pics for your site, feel free to use these.

:Beer

Nice, I told you guys they look good. :)

I wonder why I have that problem I have with mine.:mad:

Residual or transient voltage will keep LED lights lit for a long time after the car is shut down. The manufacturers who install from the factory and many after market LED kit manufacturers add a dropping resister to alleviate this issue.

can someone give a hyperlink for those bulbs? I have been looking for some for a while on ebay but they usually run about $80 for a pair...

NYC LSC did you need to take out the covering plastic glass to make them look like that??

so just take the old ones out and put those in, just like that, looks sick! I might order them Lol

Ya I bet putting a resistor would help. Just have to find the right one I guess.

im eventually replacing all or most of the bulbs in my car with LED's.. just wanna make it clear enough.. theres no longterm effects to them being on most of the time?

I did have that problem with the LEDs on the other cars, but not the Lexus ones that are on my LS.

im eventually replacing all or most of the bulbs in my car with LED's.. just wanna make it clear enough.. theres no longterm effects to them being on most of the time?

They go out after 10 minutes or so, maybe a bit longer. Haven't had a problem since.

Lic. plate and tail lights

I don't know how crazy I am to have my tags lit up like billboards! Might be really cool for reverse lights. Do they fit reverse lights?
Also, has anyone run spider light or led taillights? How about marker and turn signals?

Those lights are SWCHWEEEEET!!!

The night I bought my LS in K.C. and was driving home on the I, I got passed by a FLEET of brand new Mercedes. They all had LED's on the license plate (everywhere else, too), and I was thinkin' "man, i gotta get some!" Thanks for the info and the link.

yea i have leds in the plate,glove box, doors,visors,dome lights,floors,trunk, and none of them stayed on for about a week. Now they are all a little dim when drivning but not to the point where it bothers i barely notice it.
currently going to put leds in reverse lights, and bumper side marker,
and im going to see if i can put leds behind the cluster.

I have the same problem with my 3rd brake light. I tested the socket with a VOM and picked up about .1 V for a few seconds or so then it read zero and stayed that way. I put the light back in and it didn't light up again until I hit the brakes, then it stayed dimly lit again.

If anyone knows what kind of resistor to put inline to fix this please tell! Its kinda ghetto when I pull up in my driveway in my truck and see the 3rd brake light glowing on my car even though it hasn't even been touched for hours.

Members online

No members online now.
Back