Yoke Spring Replacement

offsidewing

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello All.

I have a 2002 LSE V8. I have the infamous intermittent steering wheel wobble that happens between 60-75 MPH. This car was driven by the previous owner 10 miles a day and hadn't been over 55 MPH since 2008. There is no other noises or clunks at all in the steering. The local tire/wheel place I trust road force balanced the wheels/tires twice. Vibration is still there. The local Lincoln dealership replaced a bad toe-link, four wheel alignment, and said they couldn't find the vibration. I suspect they drove the car a short distance, couldn't find the vibration, and called it a day. Both my local trusted mechanic and the dealership said all other suspension components are tight and tip-top. However, The vibration is still there.

I read about TSB 01-15-1 about the yoke spring/ Steering rack spring needing replaced to eliminate what they describe as steering wheel nibble. Has anyone experiencing the steering wheel wobble had the yoke spring replaced and did that eliminate the wobble?

Thanks!

Is it a wobble or a nibble? The spring is for a nibble; if it's a wobble I would suspect a bent wheel. Are they aftermarket or stock wheels?

Is it a wobble or a nibble? The spring is for a nibble; if it's a wobble I would suspect a bent wheel. Are they aftermarket or stock wheels?

Bone stock. Would road force balancing not detect a bent wheel?

It's a nibble. The steering wheel only vibrates (rotates clockwise/counter-clockwise) about half an inch, but with some force.

This is the exact issue mine has had forever. I'm looking for this yoke spring now. I've had different tires, rime, and been through the suspension. Still at around 75 I get a vibration in the wheel. If you let go of the wheel you can just ever so slightly see it moving back and forth. If you are holding it it just feels like a vibration. It never feels like it's actually turning when holding it and the car never changes direction when it does it. It is what I would think is a 'nibble'.

Hopefully this finally fixes that damn issue!

**Update

Bummer. It's a 2000-2002 thing. Guess they fixed it in second gen.

Members online

Back