Yikes, 8.2 sec 0-60? 06 V8, 113k miles. How can I restore power?

Ghaleon64

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Recently did a quick 0-60 just for the heck of it, used D4 since that seems to take it to the redline, came out to be around 8.2 seconds average in an 06 V8. I know my car is getting up there in mileage, but that seems really terrible... Plus I have the K&N Typhoon CAI.

Any tips for restoring some power to this particular car? I know when they were new the 2nd gens were getting around 6.5-6.7 0-60, would kind of like that back. :)

New coils and plugs, better tires, clean the throttle body, check for clogging cats, put the factory intake and filter back in...

Why the factory intake? Is it really that much better? I did it for the sound

Why the factory intake? Is it really that much better? I did it for the sound

There are lots of variables here, that's one to eliminate. Swap it and see how much difference it makes.

Makes sense. As far as my Gen 1 V8 with the 2-piece tube goes, I didn't notice anything different, but the 3000rpm sound is worth a few tenths of a second for me

Well for starters, you're at a very high elevation. I'm assuming Ogden, UT, which averages 4,300 feet above sea level (you'll achieve the claimed high 6's at sea level). That explains 90% of your slow 0-60 time. On the plus side, you can run 89 octane just fine! I tested out an 06' and it was in the high 7's, and that was at 1,000 more feet.

Joe is a VERY worthwhile resource here and is someone to be listened to.

On the other hand, I'll have to disagree with him on this. I don't believe any intake tube/air cleaner in usable condition is likely to actually slow a car down. But it won't speed it up either if the engine is in otherwise reasonably stock condition.

When I first ran my '02 LS in ECTA top speed competition I had the factory duct. The next month I'd installed both an aluminum duct and filter and a complete cat-back Magnaflow exhaust system. The car didn't go any faster at all in the mile at Maxton.

I next installed an NX spray system and did a complete dedicated methanol delivery package to go with it. And installed a belly pan. When I got it tuned I set four records in two classes---all in one day---but the intake tube and exhaust did NOTHING by themselves except to add a really pleasing sound to the car.

KS

Joe is a VERY worthwhile resource here and is someone to be listened to.

On the other hand, I'll have to disagree with him on this. I don't believe any intake tube/air cleaner in usable condition is likely to actually slow a car down. But it won't speed it up either if the engine is in otherwise reasonably stock condition.

When I first ran my '02 LS in ECTA top speed competition I had the factory duct. The next month I'd installed both an aluminum duct and filter and a complete cat-back Magnaflow exhaust system. The car didn't go any faster at all in the mile at Maxton.

I next installed an NX spray system and did a complete dedicated methanol delivery package to go with it. When I got it tuned I set four records in two classes---all in one day---but the intake tube and exhaust did NOTHING by themselves except to add a really pleasing sound to the car.

KS

I have dealt with Joe before, stand up guy. ALWAYS great advice! :)

Also, I didn't even consider elevation as a factor... Makes sense though. Apart from that, definitely some cleaning I could do. Though, that typhoon is staying put. That purr is SO SEXY. :D

I think that you may not be taking into account the possibility that the aftermarket placement of the MAF may have it not metering the airflow correctly. Certainly, you don't have to try it to see if I am wrong or right...

Joe, in my own case, at least, the MAF is in the same location as with the stock duct. That is, it may be displaced by as much as a part of an inch but not more than that. I got mine from an individual here who was, for a time, quite active in offering aftermarket items for our cars. I believe he fell on hard times in some manner or other and ceased to make timely deliveries of ordered items. But in terms of function I've never had any sort of problem.

KS

Joe is not saying that the CAI is the cause of the problem, BUT as it is not OEM there are other variables to it that could affect how well the car runs... for instance, if the filter is to heavily oiled it could present a problem, if any of the connecting tubes or couplers are bad, loose, or not put on right, it could be leaking air in unmetered and causing an issue, the only reason Joe mentioned swapping it out was to eliminate all of the variables that you can while testing everything else out. once he knows for sure that it is not a problem, then of course it could be swapped back in.

Definitely. To be honest, I didn't notice much of a change at all when I first installed the aftermarket piece, it seems to run the same as it did before. I've just never actually timed the car since I've had it until now. So it's probably been this bad since I got it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back