Yet another tire opinion thread

well, it was Telcos thread. i figure he can derail it however he pleases... (he did ask about france)

Just to throw in my .02... I have Dunlop Direzza's on my summer wheels (they came with them when I bought them) and they're garbage. I have Conti Pro contacts on my winter tires and they are fantastic. The best tires I've ever owned are Goodyear F1's but I just can't justify the price anymore, when conti's are much cheaper and comparable.

Well, another thread that lost its way. Maybe you guys that want to talk about the French should start a different thread and leave this one to discuss the original topic - Tires

Whooooooo......... The Thread Police.....

Haven't seen one yet that didn't go sideways.... Only 53 posts in 5 years apparently shows you're not around much......

No matter how you feel about the country, I have to say, nothing rides like a Michelin, I like them on Cadillac's, I assume I would feel the same about them on Lincoln's too.

Well, another thread that lost its way. Maybe you guys that want to talk about the French should start a different thread and leave this one to discuss the original topic - Tires
My thoughts on the French are just that. Mine! Michelin makes some of the best tire in the world period. Read my post on the LS picture thread about avoiding getting t boned. I am on Michelin tires that need replacement and my left rear was equalized and the tires are still good enough to make that extreme maneuver and hold up. I just won't buy them. I wish I could though. Exclude my comments when making your selection. I will say this. If it rains a lot where you are, don't bother with the Energy's. The channels are too tight for such a light car and they will hydroplane early. Sorry if offended anyone. I do like French girls.

<ahem> I fully authorize any thread I start to go off topic, much like face to face conversations go. Perhaps if this site ever becomes a pay by the word site I will feel differently but until then, hijack away. My questions were answered, I am going to go with the Contis over the Pirellis.

wait a minute, isn't this still LvC?

its not considered a good LvC thread until it get thoroughly derailed or somebody breaks out the ban hammer...

I mean come on, how long can we talk about the same pair of tires. lol

tires

I now stay away from D.T. as the two here can't balance a tire to save their lives!! They claim the wheel is bent though can't prove it. I don't know if they're lazy, incompetent or just in too much of a hurry to care.

I don't see them @Tirerack.... Are they discontinued????

I've had good luck with DT even tho they don't understand what a red dot on a tire means?????? their answer is " well we balance the wheel anyway". Maybe that is part of your problem, have them move the red dot on the tire in line with the valve on the wheel and rebalance, you never know.
To the original question, I had a great overall experience with the Continental Contact DWS (Dry/Wet/Snow) on my car. Go with them over Pirelli.

I read some of the tire threads, but they didn't address the specific tires I'm looking at. The Hankook Ventus I have on my LS are worn, getting loud and I suspect I may have either a flat spot or a bubble on one as I've picked up a thump at low speeds consistent with tire RPM. Along with this, the ride is getting bad and the handling is getting a bit squirrelly. And before Robot says it, the handling is getting progressively worse over the last month in a manner consistent with other non-traction control cars with failing tires where my traction control issues just started in the last week.

My priorities are a quiet, comfortable ride on an all weather tire that can handle some ice and snow and I'm willing to give up a little high speed handling since I never push this car that hard. The tires I'm looking at are:

Continental PureContact
Pirelli Cinturato

Has anyone run either of these tires, and if so how did you like them? These are the two highest rated tires on Tire Rack that meet my requirements. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I'll be replacing the rear links before I do the tires to make sure the new tires aren't affected by bad links.
Years ago I did consumer tire evaluations for BFG. So, I will tell you what little bit I know. Non directional tires are quieter than directionals. Tires which have varying size tread elements around the circumference of the tire will produce less road noise. Ribbed tires are quieter but you need traction so 2 ribs around the circumference would be the max for you toward the center. Tires with tighter tread sipes toward the outside of the tire will reduce the noise because the wider gaps will be toward the center of the tire and the sound will be covered by the less noisy tread elements. Rounded shoulders might be a good idea also. One more thing, when it comes to the wider grooves, look for a tire with a smaller carcass with big wear bars so when you reach the wear bars there is still a significant amount of tread depth left. That way you won't have to worry about the tires getting really loud when its time to get new ones again. Some tires have wear bars so small that by the time you get down to them the tire is almost bald.

I had hankook ventus evos on my LS for the last 24k and wore them down. They started to make some humming as the rears wore unevenly due to the extra weight I added in the trunk (speakers) and I didn't get an alignment.
Just put on Cooper RS3-A and I am surprised how great they look and how quiet they are. Pepboys is selling them for buy 3 get one free and cooper offers a $60 mail in rebate on top of it. Paid $790 (after mail in) for full install and alignment. Not bad for 19" tires.
Went with the RS3-A because I don't autocross or drag race this car, its my DD and I generally just cruise. Longer life, good looks and CHEAP! I say its win win.

Here's a good way to help your tires last longer and it may seem silly but it works. If it's not illegal in your town and if it's safe to do so. Whenever making right turns from the curb lane, try not to end up in the curb lane. That illuminates a lot of tire scrub. Also, if you're comfortable with the car darting around a little bit, decrease the front toe a bit. She will feel a bit unstable at first and you will lose some of the on center feel at higher speeds but, that will reduce much of the scrub too and will also increase instantaneous turn-in.

Here's a good way to help your tires last longer and it may seem silly but it works. If it's not illegal in your town and if it's safe to do so. Whenever making right turns from the curb lane, try not to end up in the curb lane. That illuminates a lot of tire scrub. Also, if you're comfortable with the car darting around a little bit, decrease the front toe a bit. She will feel a bit unstable at first and you will lose some of the on center feel at higher speeds but, that will reduce much of the scrub too and will also increase instantaneous turn-in.

I had too much toe and have severely worn the tire edge. I've probably lost 5K miles of useful tire.

Check out the review of the Hankook Optimo H727 in Consumer Reports July 2010. I bought a set for my 99 Continental because of the snow( I used to live in Cleveland), rain, comfort, and noise ratings. They were very good in the snow. I have 55,000 on them and they have about half of the tread left. I am very happy with them. They do not have a H rated version though. I went with a T rated tire which is one step down from the Factory rating. Some tire centers will not sell you them.

I had too much toe and have severely worn the tire edge. I've probably lost 5K miles of useful tire.
Man, that must have felt like driving a fwd car with a lot of on center feel or scrub in the turns. I hate that feeling. That's why I run with a little toe out. No scrub in the turns. If I'm really getting with it, all four wheels drift then I can lift to shift the weight or apply the brake a bit and throttle at the same time.

Here is a pic of my left rear I moved from the front last week. It was last rotated about 25k miles ago and the tires have been on the car for almost 50k. Check the wear pattern.

View attachment 828469583

My 2005 came equipped from factory with Michelin Pilot MXM4 and it rode great. When time came to change I installed Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus because of its AA traction rating, but I'm not happy with them; because of its more aggressive thread, they are noisier in the cold weather, plus, I lost about 1.5-2 mpg. When it comes time to change again I'll go back to the MXM4's or its latest Michelin equivalent. I heard that the ride of the LS is very sensitive to the type of tire used and it is best to stick to the original equipment one. A 4-wheel alignment is recommended when the new tires are installed.

Not sure if I lost any MPG, but I absolutely love the newer Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on my Gen II Sport. IMNSHO this is the absolute perfect three season tire for the LS Sport as far as both handling and ride quality - expensive, yes but worth the price. I switch to Michelin X-ice Xi3 for winter use up here on the North Coast.

Members online

Back