Yet Another Parking Brake Question (this one is easy)

Robert Crain

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Greetings all. I have a 2003 LS with 154k miles. The parking brake currently works perfectly and due to its complex nature, I want to keep it that way for as long as possible. So my question to you all is what preventative maintenance efforts can a driveway mechanic perform in order to keep it working properly. Is there any cleaning, lubrication, etc. that I should be doing on a regular basis? I realize I don't have much control of the electrical modules, etc. but the mechanicals seems like something I can apply some effort to. Your thoughts?

The failures that I have seen so far have been the cable fraying and breaking at the end where it is attached to the hook that connects to the brake caliper. I don't know if adding lubrication would delay or prevent this.

It seems like the junkyard is the only way to get replacement cables. Nobody seems to make them new anymore. I have seen some advertised that claim to fit, but these are for the 1st gen (manual parking brake) and won't work on the 2nd gen.

Members online

No members online now.
Back