Yet ANOTHER audio question

NYC LS8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
OK..I've searched and searched and searched some more and still can't quite find the answer I'm looking for.

I'm keeping the stock 6 CD head unit, just looking for a little more bass, so I'm putting in a mono amp and a sub that I had in my '92.

I found that 12v switched lead in the harness on the driver's side of the trunk. Power and ground are going to the amp, and it has voltage.

Using an AXXESS ALOC608 2 channel line output converter that I got from Circuit City. It's got 5 wires: 4 speaker leads and 1 ground. I've got it grounded to the bolt on the trunk hinge.

Now my question is: I tied in the two striped leads from the LOC to one side of the rear driver's speaker and the 2 solid leads to the other side and get nothing from the sub. Do I NEED to tap off of BOTH rear speakers for this to work properly? If not, I'm wondering if I have a ground issue.

There were no install insutructions that came with it, and their, and Metra's, sites are both useless.

TIA

:Beer

you don't "need" to get audio from both sides. Depends on the amp setup on whether or not you'd get any benefit. only advantage of doing both is (if your amp supports combining channels) you'd make sure you got all the bass data if for some reason the producer put different bass data into the left and right channels.

as for why it's not working could be a million things. is your amp powering on for certain? have you plugged anything else into the amp to make sure its operating? have you checked all your gain settings? both on the converter and the amp.

ground issue shouldn't cause the converter not to operate.

you mention both striped wires. usually striped is negative or positive, not both. by this i mean you probably need 1 solid lead and 1 striped lead to get a signal... my guess is this is your problem

I tested the voltage at the amp with a DVOM. Tested the remote turn on lead at the amp, too. The gain settings were the same as when I pulled the amp out of the other car yesterday, nothing's changed. Adjusted the pots on the converter all the way up and all the way off and nothing changed there either.

And yes, I agree on the striped thing. I read something on here that someone said to splice the two negatives together, splice the two positives together on the LOC and tap each pair into the positive and negative leads on the stock speaker wire. I then tried one solid white & white w/ stripe from the converter to the stock speaker and got nada. Same with the solid gray and gray w/stripe wire. Swapped RCA cables too, just to check if maybe they got ruined when I took them out of the '92. No dice.

I've done stereo installs before in all of my past and present Lincolns and never had a problem. Some were bypassing stock amps, using stock amps, all aftermarket, etc. Even put in an LOC in my old '97 Integra and that worked without a problem.

Blah.

Appreciate the reply. :Beer

does the power light come on the amp? just plug something else into the amp directly (ipod, etc.). that'll narrow down what's not working.

and remember most amps have fuse built into them (automotive type sticking out of it). if you blew that fuse during install you'd still see voltage @ the amp but it wouldn't work.

There's no power light on the amp. It's an older Kenwood. Fuses on the amps are good, too. I'm gonna re-check the remote lead wire again. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not 100% positive on that one. Had to kinda cut it short due to rain out here today.

Thanks again. :Beer

Members online

Back