Yes, I am getting glass packs...

CrackerJack

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
But I have no idea what the exhaust system looks like on my 02 LSE V8. There are 3 different sizes of CB's that are 2" I/O.

I'm guessing it looks similar to this.
mf_catback_lincoln_ls.jpg

But without the xpipe and dual cats.

The question is, the longer the more "muffled" the sound will be correct? So out of the three selections for a 2" I/O

87507.gif

87502.gif

87512.gif

Which have any of you guys used? or what would the best bet be for great sound over total noise? Im guessing either of the last 2 will be my best bet, but I also want to have minimum modifications to the system also so I can take the exhaust off if I ever sell or trade in the car.

The reason I want these CB's is that my uncle work at a NAPA store, their $20 a pop - his employee discount... so really, it's a steal and Im tight on cash.

Also, I know a few of you guys have actually used glass packs already, what was the process you used to fit em on? I'd like to be able to use my tips if possible...

Something close to that yes. Those first parts are resonators, not cats, and your car already has two of those. The resonators are immediately followed by an H pipe, and then it goes back to the mufflers from there.

Btw, Resonator = Glasspack. It's just a tube filled with fiberglass packing and a section of honeycomb pipe in the middle to keep the fiberglass in place.

I would assume the performance kit still varies from the stock exhaust not. The performance kit has less bends shouldn't it?

I know the mufflers sit vertically rather than horizontally.

I have glass packs on mine it sounds great not to loud but perfect in my opinion . I used a 24 and it was a bit to long the guy at my muffler shop told me that an 18 would work the best..I ended up having to drop the system a couple inches after the rear axle to get them to fit..so mine were slightly to long..I also did away with the turn down tips so I have them strait out the back and it looks cool..I get compliments all the time.

I would assume the performance kit still varies from the stock exhaust not. The performance kit has less bends shouldn't it?

I know the mufflers sit vertically rather than horizontally.

Not only are there fewer bends, the bends there are are mandrel bent, not crush bent. The Magnaflow is also 2 1/4" verses the stock, IIRC, 2" on the V8. The V6 is ~1 5/8".

Yeah, I got cut outs in my bumper already because the LSE's came with quad tips. If at all possible, could you get some pics of under your car at the exhaust just so I can see how it looks like? Im really set on CBs! What kind did you get?

just go to a muffler shop and have them put on glass packs that fit... dont over think it man! I went there with 30 bucks and drove away with glass packs that are 2 1/4 inner diameter and 6 inch long!

whats up

hey,crackerjack you should come up sometime, i found a burlap sack nearby. those summit turbo mufflers do seem panzy'ish, get glass packs, or have open exhaust manifolds:)

The LS needs back pressure. You'd do more harm than good running open headers.

glass packs for 30$ u serious, is it jus for sound do u actually get some hp from it or what, im a noob when it comes to performance

I put those Summit turbo mufflers on my Mustang and they sounded terrible. The guy who owned the shop even gave them a thumbs down when I fired it up to leave.

The only example of the Summit mufflers I heard were from on 02 Mustang GT, and they sounded really nice. Although, it probably had a full exhaust overhaul or something...

So I stopped in at this local shop about a mile and a half away. Austins Muffler and Brake here in Champlin. I tell the guy what I want, giv ehim my car information and he looks at the book and says,

"Holy $hit! thats gonna be a small ass glasspack!"

He estimated about $120 parts and labor, including keeping my stock mufflers and him putting on my quad tips!

I also called some professional place, they do hotrods and professional crap. They said about $300... Now Im not an exhaust expert by any means, but for $300 I could buy myself a welding machine and do it myself... Anyways, what do you think are reasonable estimates that I should be getting?

When I got my magnaflows put on, I supplied the materials, minus the little bit of pipe between the resonators and mufflers. Total install was 135. Materials ran a little over 160. So I was right at 300 for my setup so far.

Yeah, he was just going to chop the existing mufflers and my tips off, cut down a glasspack that he had, and slap it all back together.

Members online

No members online now.
Back