Yeah I really love my OBDII Mark....

2002WRXSTi

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I did the wonderful scan so I could work on my non inspection passing Mark. First thing I chased was the P0412 pre cat air injection. Found a blown fuse and it was that simple.

However even tho I have another IMRC trying to get the damn plastic bushing to release on my spare engine proved not possible. So trying to get the bad unit that is on the car off without breaking the piece ain't gonna happen :(

I tried to unplug the vacuum port and plug it but it hits me with stuck open when I tried to wire it open. I just hate these IMRC now more than ever :mad:

Yeah all cells have to be cleared for it to pass NJ inspection. I got lucky on the pre cat air injection cause that was an easy fix but the IMRC even tho I have one seems to need a contortionist to fix?!

Getting it off seems to be doable but how to get to the plug on the back of the head undone or plugged back in seems to be the fun part :eek:

Unless someone knows how to get the cell off otherwise??

NADA, I had a nightmare of a time doing the IAC cause there is so little room there and now this is under it!

Fist you need a can of two of Seafoam. That can easily fix the IMRCs. Search for directions, but in short you want to make sure the engine is HOT and make sure you peak over 3k PRM during Seafoam ingestion to operate the IMRCs.

Second, they are held by vacuum. There is no way to jerry rig them open or closed, etc. On 96 there is also an electrical connection to the vacuum diaphragm that operates them. I suppose one way you could "trick" the ECU is to jump the contacts. Of course, dont exceed 3k RPM or you will just get a code that they are stuck shut.

Fist you need a can of two of Seafoam. That can easily fix the IMRCs. Search for directions, but in short you want to make sure the engine is HOT and make sure you peak over 3k PRM during Seafoam ingestion to operate the IMRCs.

Second, they are held by vacuum. There is no way to jerry rig them open or closed, etc. On 96 there is also an electrical connection to the vacuum diaphragm that operates them. I suppose one way you could "trick" the ECU is to jump the contacts. Of course, dont exceed 3k RPM or you will just get a code that they are stuck shut.

Did the Seafoam way back when this first started and no such luck. I picked up another 96" engine with 90k on it for dirt money but the engine swap is a bit more than I wish to do right now. So I took the bank 1 IMRC off to replace the bad one on my engine.

The one on my engine is shot. When I removed the vacuum line off of it I can pull up the lever and hold my finger over the port and it just drops back down while the one I removed from my engine holds as long as you have the port blocked. So the IMRC is shot that is on the car now. The plug I am talking about it on the back of the head and out of my reach from the top of the engine as far as I can see right now. I was thinking of lifting the car and seeing if I can get a view of it from below somehow?

I still don't know how I'm going to get the IMRC off the lever cause I am not seeing it as being a fun thing to do in the car. I really don't want to have to remove the intake to do this cause it could lead to more headaches :shifty:

Sounds like it's time to swap motors...

Unity I think he is refering to a CEL, Check Engine Light...

Still not sure what plug you speak of. the actuator though, the thing you covered with your finger, it part of the IMRC. The WHOLE thing gets replaced - time to take the intake off. I have my IMRCS in my hands and could still not get the actuator itself off.

Still not sure what plug you speak of. the actuator though, the thing you covered with your finger, it part of the IMRC. The WHOLE thing gets replaced - time to take the intake off. I have my IMRCS in my hands and could still not get the actuator itself off.

The plug I am talking about is the wiring from the 1996 IMRC that plugs into the the harness on the engine. It is on the back of the engine on the cylinder head and from when I have seen so far impossible to get to with the manifold on at least?

I would not even try to replace it in the IMRC just replace the whole unit. However the rod off the actuator that go's to the manifold lever has what looks to be a delrin snap piece that broke when I took it off the engine on my stand. So it looks like I'm going to have to take the manifold off to do this right :(

The IMRCs are these:

57ef_1.jpg

The above are cable drive, hence the lack of the vacuum thing that you tested and found bad. But one goes on the end of each and is part of the unit, hard to separate both.

As you can see, these sit below so the intake must come off. This will also make it easier to disconnect them. I now know the connection you speak of, with the intake off you will have room to get to them.

Make sure you test the vacuum on the new one(s).

When I changed the imrc's on my 96, I had to use two flat blade screw drivers, and go from underneath the engine. That passenger side is a bitch. It won't be easy. If you remove the throttle body, which is 4 bolts you can easily reach the 2 screws which hold the imrc control to the plate. The plastic piece you speak of is called a "bushing". You can buy them from ford. Hold onto the bad control, as they are hideously expensive, and now obsolete from ford. If you every have another one with a bad sensor, you can take apart the units and carefully swap the parts to make a good control.

Yeah the thing that sucks now is I have 3 Bank2 functioning IMRC valves and 1 Bank1.

Seeing as they are a pain to get now I am a bit hesitant to sell off the extra :rolleyes:

Someone really need to come up with a fix for this, because it's only going to be so long before they all run out and 96 owners are going to be sol...

IT PASSED!! With some trickery....

I'm going to fix it correctly as soon as I get the bushings I need but this fooled the OBDII enough to shut off the light and pass inspection... :shifty:

seloniod.jpg

What chip would that be and will it still let it pass the Inspection test then??

well I dont have inspections here any more but with our camaro we reflased the
computer to change the shift points, top speed, air fuel, timing, and to turn off the CEL cause it no longer has cats

well I dont have inspections here any more but with our camaro we reflased the
computer to change the shift points, top speed, air fuel, timing, and to turn off the CEL cause it no longer has cats

I actually called Sniper and talked to them about if it was possible to turn off the cell light? They told me to get my ECU # and give them the Cell # and they would see if the sniper would shut it off or not? Or they would make a new map to do so.

Anyway I couldn't wait so I found me way around it for now and it worked :D

Pm XLRVIII... he knows a thing or two about tuning the Mark and would probably know if it could be shut off with a tune.

Holy old post resurrection I know but I'd like to know exactly what fuse would cause the P0412 code. I ran the scanner on my 96 today and it came up with this code. If anyone knows, please help me out.

Holy old post resurrection I know but I'd like to know exactly what fuse would cause the P0412 code. I ran the scanner on my 96 today and it came up with this code. If anyone knows, please help me out.

The fuse was in the under hood fuse box. Was a small 15 or 20 amp fuse that was blown, replaced it and reset my ECU. Bingo that was an easy fix :D

Members online

Back