Windshield Washer Filter

Elessee

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
If your windshield washer is not spraying enough water, you may want to search out the inline-filter.

My washer was spraying less and less over the years until it was not spraying enough to do much good. I tried blowing compressed air into the little spray nozzles, and pulled the rubber hose off, and pushed air in there, but the improvement was minimal and temporary. So, I got down to business and tried to find what was happening.

The pump was running fine.. (you can hear it with the engine off) and the reservoir was full.. (see it with a flashlight near the battery). So.. something's clogged up?

I started to pull things off, and whatdayaknow.. there is an inline filter right there about 12 inches down the main (black, green-striped) hose. It's about an inch long and wide.
Mine happened to be positioned exactly BEHIND / UNDER that black (brake pump?) relay box mounted on the firewall above the master cylinder. Thoroughly hidden from casual view..

The filter body is a semi-transparent whitish plastic cone. However, mine looked sorta green inside? No way to disassemble it.. but I've hacked into things before and this filter was not difficult to carefully cut open around it's bulging seam.

Inside is a cone shaped plastic-mesh filter element. Mine was completely plastered and clogged up with a fibrous, tough, thick green goo. Since my washer fluid is greenish, I guess the goo is some sort of fluid residue...maybe it's from the anti-freeze they put in there.. who knows.

Anyway, the element looked delicate... didn't want to take a chance with solvents.
After very carefully picking and brushing all the goo out and washing it up with soapy water, I reassembled the filter with 5-minute epoxy, being careful to keep epoxy out of the filter. Basically just went around the outside, where I cut it open, with a nice thick layer, locking the two halves together.

The task was over so quickly that calling Ford Parts never even occurred to me. Or I suppose a person could search out and buy any old inline water filter for a couple bucks, but since this particular filter was chosen by the manufacturer, fixing the original took the guesswork out of it.

..so nice to have my windshield washer back in action. It's the little things in life..

Members online

Back