Where is the VSS (speed sensor) for aftermarket Navi unit on 03 TC?

DENNISJR60

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to hook up the vehicle speed sensor (vss) on an 03 Town Car to the aftermarket Pioneer Navi system does anyone know where it might be?:confused:

Thanks for the help!

Your vehicle does not have a VSS sensor (Town Cars stopped using one since 1998 MY)

However, the PCM generates a VSS signal for various components. It is a Gray/Black striped wire.

You will need to splice into this "VSS" circuit wire for your Nav system. It goes up to your overhead console on early production '03s, the parking aide module, the power trunk lid module, and the navigation module (if equipped)

IMO, the easiest place to tap it for YOUR install is the passenger foot well. This wire passes through an inline connector (215) on it's way to the trunk for all those modules listed above.
You will have to remove the kick panel to access it. It is the very bottom connector, the wire (again, GY/BK) is on pin 7 of this 12 pin connector.
Remember, SPLICE into - do not cut this wire off from the trunk.

Your vehicle does not have a VSS sensor (Town Cars stopped using one since 1998 MY)

However, the PCM generates a VSS signal for various components. It is a Gray/Black striped wire.

You will need to splice into this "VSS" circuit wire for your Nav system. It goes up to your overhead console on early production '03s, the parking aide module, the power trunk lid module, and the navigation module (if equipped)

IMO, the easiest place to tap it for YOUR install is the passenger foot well. This wire passes through an inline connector (215) on it's way to the trunk for all those modules listed above.
You will have to remove the kick panel to access it. It is the very bottom connector, the wire (again, GY/BK) is on pin 7 of this 12 pin connector.
Remember, SPLICE into - do not cut this wire off from the trunk.

Thank you very much for this info. Quick question though as when I had an 05 TC the shop I took it to tapped into a wire on one of the plugs that went into the factory unit & it worked. When the test like was on it the light would pulse or whatever the proper term is. The shop is no longer there which is why I needed help. Any idea how they were able to do that on the stereo plug on an 05?

Thanks again!

Members online

Back