Wheel Bearing Replacement!

Drew4002

LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there are any tricks to replacing wheel bearings on an '88' Mark VII, if so, does anybody have a good tech article on replacing them ? I know how to do this job but I have never done it on my car before. I know Lincolns ( especially Mark VII's ) have a lot of little special exceptions. I figured I'd ask BEFORE I started this job, just to avoid any complications. Thanks for any help!

Drew4002 said:
Does anybody know if there are any tricks to replacing wheel bearings on an '88' Mark VII, if so, does anybody have a good tech article on replacing them ? I know how to do this job but I have never done it on my car before. I know Lincolns ( especially Mark VII's ) have a lot of little special exceptions. I figured I'd ask BEFORE I started this job, just to avoid any complications. Thanks for any help!

Drew,
You didn't mention front or rear. Fronts ar simple. Just like any other car. Be sure to seat the race fully and don't forget to grease the new bearings. And, don't over tighten them, but re check them after a few miles of service.
The rears are another story. Probably need to take them to a shop to have the old ones pressed off and the new ones pressed on. Good luck. Lincolnlov

Lincolnlov said:
Drew,
You didn't mention front or rear. Fronts ar simple. Just like any other car. Be sure to seat the race fully and don't forget to grease the new bearings. And, don't over tighten them, but re check them after a few miles of service.
The rears are another story. Probably need to take them to a shop to have the old ones pressed off and the new ones pressed on. Good luck. Lincolnlov

My bad. I meant front ( I was thinkin it.) Thanx for the help! How about ball joints? Any special exceptions? I'm gonna do it all at once. Thanx.

Ball joints are easy, too, when ya have the right tools. Just hammer the old ones out from the top, and press in the new ones.

NYC LSC said:
Ball joints are easy, too, when ya have the right tools. Just hammer the old ones out from the top, and press in the new ones.

Thanx a lot fellas. Didnt want to get caught with my pants down(its 15 degrees up here in Detroit!)

Members online

Back