What would be a good upgrade once my 4.6 dies?

MrScalia

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I'm almost at 480k miles on my 2000 TC
I want to replace motor , but I'd hate to just drop a 4.6 v2 in it.

a 32v would be nice but do I have to only use a OBD II ?

are any of the old 5.4 worth a dam?

Wow, I'm impressed! I would let it go until at least 1/2 million, just to take a picture of the odometer. If it's running ok, just let it go until the wheels fall off and see how many miles you can get out of it.

Is that the original motor?

Wow, I'm impressed! I would let it go until at least 1/2 million, just to take a picture of the odometer. If it's running ok, just let it go until the wheels fall off and see how many miles you can get out of it.

Is that the original motor?

Yes Original motor thats what makes Town Cars a "green" car

why not look around for a 3 valve mustang gt V8?

the amount of cash it would cost , (I have my ear to the ground with all the body shops we deal with for a totaled v8 ford)

Yes Original motor thats what makes Town Cars a "green" car

Ya how many cells you think a hybrid would have placed in the ground after 400k ?

all right...then i vote for the triton 6.8 V10 with a really loud exhaust.......people would duck for cover when you gunned it lol:D

all right...then i vote for the triton 6.8 V10 with a really loud exhaust.......people would duck for cover when you gunned it lol:D

Good idea but quiet exaust V10s sound so bad with pipes the only v10 I like the sound of is a lambo and then it can be a sleeper

The guy who owns the body shop next our shop has Excursion v10 , $140 in gas
every 3 days..

I am thinking just a upgrade from 4.6 2v 200hp
I would be happy with near 300 hp ,
I am even toying with 5 speed idea.
I still have the set of shorty we took off 04 mustang , and if we can't find a buyer they will end up on the new motor.

Which ever way you go thats alot of money.

I don't make a lot of money,

Well I found a 97 Gt 4.6 2v with only 70K on it, ..... Only $200

I tried to paypal the money to the guy , but he will not (it a Craigslist thing) but I can't get to the motor till next week ..... Sadly I can feel this one slipping a way)

Hopefully I can find a Mark VIII with air ride problems for under a $1000 , and part out the rest of the car to make up cash.

I've been working nights with my friend at his shop ...... I'll not have to worry about labor car .

A 4.6 DOHC swap has been done in pre-2002 panthers but it will require modifications. You need a Marauder oil pan and pickup tube and modify the front crossmember to fit. The stock pan and tube will fit but can starve the DOHC of oil. The wiper cowl on a 98-02 town car is tight to engine and likely needs to be trimmed for fitment. Cat down pipes will need to be custom. If you use a Mark engine will need to make air intake passenger side and move battery to trunk. A Marauder engine is setup for driver's intake. If you get a newer 4.6 DOHC (c heads->) you can use the MM intake on it. Conti engines won't work at all - different bell housing.

You need to stick with OBDII not only to pass emissions but the SCP databus is used for module communication on 95+ models and especially on 98+ Town Cars. Use your stock PCM! Just get it tuned for engine swap. Use stock harness if you can. Will need minor rewiring and connector changes.

A lot of the specifics depend on which DOHC engine you go with.

A 5.4 2v would be a fairly straight forward swap. Use your old exhaust manifolds, stock exhaust will bolt up as will all accessories. Might be a little tight by the wiper cowl but that's it. Use a 4.6l PI intake with reichard racing 4.6->5.4 adapter so it will clear the hood. Stock intact tract will hook right up. Crankshaft will be 8 bolt so if it doesn't have a flexplate make sure you get an 8 bolt vrsion for your convertor size (most likely 12")

If you have questions contact me. Check out the hi-performance forum on crownvic.net for more info. We've had a few engine swaps like these documented.

BTW, another option would be just a 4.6 from a 2001-2002 Town Car, Marquis or Crown Vic. It would be a direct swap and has the PI heads for a little more power. You could also use one from a 2003+ if you swap a couple things.

A guy swapped in a triton v10 in his '95 Marquis (which is mostly the same chassis and powertrain electrical as all 95-04 panthers). It's actually twin turbo now! He had to use a cowl hood for clearance, among other tweaks.

why not look around for a 3 valve mustang gt V8?
Not practical. VVT/VCT and the semi-IMRC delete, intake and cooling system plumbing would be a pain.

I don't make a lot of money,

Well I found a 97 Gt 4.6 2v with only 70K on it, ..... Only $200

FYI, that would just be a lower-mileage version of your engine. They are both nPI 4.6 romeo 2vs. Cams, intake, etc are all the same. Intake plenum is flipped 180 degrees, just flip it back around. Need to use your exhaust manfolds and possible oil pan/tube.

FYI, that would just be a lower-mileage version of your engine. They are both nPI 4.6 romeo 2vs. Cams, intake, etc are all the same. Intake plenum is flipped 180 degrees, just flip it back around. Need to use your exhaust manfolds and possible oil pan/tube.

Wow Thanks, You answered all my question ..............
You sure your not related to MAXX ?

throw a northstar in it

the 4.6 with 400k+ miles it leaks oil , but no spots in my drive-way
....... so whats the use in putting a northstar that leaks oil at 10k miles

when was the last time a thread In the Town Car Forums reached over 10 post??

no oil spots in my drive way either. :D :D

just jackin with ya cuz northstars are known for leaking oil @ low mile

mine leaks mostly from valve covers , Almost every day that 4.6 amazes me that it still runs so good.

Today, a guy in a Mercedes SUV started to drift in my lane , his right rear tire was about lined up with my driver side front tire
So I honked at him & give it gas before he hit me or forced me to slow down.
He Looks at me and punches it .
I am totally surprised.
"Oh no you really don't know how to do that"

I get right passed him and don't let off till about 60`d (this is a piece of road I've driven since I was 16, right down to the spot you can catch air)
SAN JOSE,CA
Right before Dry Creek I hit the brakes and slow to 40 and coast Right onto dry creek ...20s make it handle a lot better.
Oh ya the Lil SUV was a Small gray box in my rear view mirror .

I don't know it could last 50K more ? but its better days are lone gone before I got at it.

Its a Fact I knew when I got it for $2300
and I said "if It still running by next year I'll start looking into a transplant." In that time its gotten a tow hitch and towed to Sacramento , pulled a half broken tree out of the street in front of my house.
I've heard soo many time "Wheres your truck?? You Can't fit that in a Car"

My father has made that much Extra cash from having his # on the Back the first year he didn't want the $500 difference from selling my Mark.

NOW FOR READING ALL MY CRAP HEAR IS WHERE TO SCORE CRACk IN Chicago

HOW I LOVE GOOGLE !

You Know Ever since I got kicked off the pos place and came hear I've held back
but I think thats no more.

ap_68.jpg

Members online

Back