What ignition coils are the best???

LSter

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to be replacing them within the next 3 to 4 months. Are the Motorcraft DG-529s the best or are there aftermarket ones that are just as good or better?

I think the consensus is go with Motorcraft (made in China, but good OEM quality), or the Visteons (made in Hungry used to be OEM supplier, and of similar quality).

If it's a V6 I think you can still pick up the VIsteons....otherwise Motorcraft will do just fine.

What about Delphi's? JEGS has Delphi's for the LS. It doesn't say whether they are for the 6 or the 8, though. Is there a difference between the coils for the 6 and the 8 or are they interchangeable?

What about Delphi's? JEGS has Delphi's for the LS. It doesn't say whether they are for the 6 or the 8, though. Is there a difference between the coils for the 6 and the 8 or are they interchangeable?

They [V6 and V8 coils] are different. They do not interchange.

i just ordered 8 BWD coils from adavnced auto part. haven't had the time to install them and the new plugs yet, but when i get them in i'll let you know how they work.

i know i know, hopefully i will not regret it. i also saw some guys on here with there coil covers not even on, is that a smart idea? imo i dont think it is, but i don't know to much about this engine.

i know i know, hopefully i will not regret it. i also saw some guys on here with there coil covers not even on, is that a smart idea? imo i dont think it is, but i don't know to much about this engine.

I don't think it helps anything to leave them off.

if u can afford it go with the motorcraft. i decided to try the accel coils and they have been fine. but if u go with accels u have to switch the wires on the connectors.

So there are no aftermarket coils that are as dependable as the Motorcraft ones, other than the Visteon's that no longer exist apparently, right?

i just ordered 8 BWD coils from adavnced auto part. haven't had the time to install them and the new plugs yet, but when i get them in i'll let you know how they work.

Had these in the car for about a year now, work great. Made in USA(acording to box). I woundn't buy Motorcraft coils, made in China, Ya couldn't Ford find a cheaper slave wage country to manufacture these constantly failing parts. What REV level are they on now?like 22. Must be same factory that makes the cheap ass front hubs that crap out at 20K.

Had these in the car for about a year now, work great. Made in USA(acording to box). I woundn't buy Motorcraft coils, made in China, Ya couldn't Ford find a cheaper slave wage country to manufacture these constantly failing parts. What REV level are they on now?like 22. Must be same factory that makes the cheap ass front hubs that crap out at 20K.

Made in USA very rarely has anything to do with the quality, it comes down to design and materials used, not whether an over paid union fan boy made it or a 14 year old Chinese kid made it. The whole reason they send stuff to china is due to the unions demanding way to much money as well as all the money our government commands from these companies, business would have to shut down before making a profit in this country.

That being said, I have the bwd or whatever due to cost and have no issues, I also have 2 original coils at 103,xxx miles

Half the people here won't own the car long enough to do em twice so get what fits your wallet.

just installed 8 new BWD coils and 8 new plugs. problem is gone! you guys are awesome, thank you for your advise.

lol hey the union fanboys make em cheaper than the chinese kids... or advance auto doesnt mark them up as much as ford, either way, I have all BWD coils, they have a lifetime warranty, and no problems so far (roughly 10k miles or so). buy them from advance auto in seperate orders and use the $20 off $50 code to save the most $$. the code is A123 or ES123 or something like that. they change the code every once in a while so just google it if those dont work

lol hey the union fanboys make em cheaper than the chinese kids... or advance auto doesnt mark them up as much as ford, either way, I have all BWD coils, they have a lifetime warranty, and no problems so far (roughly 10k miles or so). buy them from advance auto in seperate orders and use the $20 off $50 code to save the most $$. the code is A123 or ES123 or something like that. they change the code every once in a while so just google it if those dont work

i did the same thing lol i made 4 different accounts and got 4 50$ coupons :D

just installed ebay coils in my 04 LS6 all 6 for $80 with lifetime warranty. I know,I couldn't help the deal. The stealarship replaced 1 last year for $120 just the coil. but I did use motorcraft platinum plugs. one week in and runs like new

Has anyone used the Bosch Fusion IR's, the Bosch Platinum +4 or +2's, or any other type of plug besides the Motorcraft Platinum plugs? Is there any real gain in any of the other plugs?

someone here had an article showing why not to buy the Platinum 2's and 4's... article showed a significant loss in spark when using...

someone here had an article showing why not to buy the Platinum 2's and 4's... article showed a significant loss in spark when using...

Beyond that, I wouldn't use Bosch plugs. I've had some of those be bad out of the box. NGK was the OEM plug on most (all?) of the LSes. I haven't had any trouble with them. Really, a plug is good or bad. You're not going to get more power or mileage by putting in a "better" plug. It's best to stay with the type plug the ignition system was designed for. Anything else may make the coil failures even more frequent.

Am I missing something?

My local Advance auto has BWD coils listed for $44.99 a piece, and rockauto has the motorcrafts DG529 listed for $45.79 a piece. Plus shipping of course, but with a 5% discount you can find anywhere the total for 8 motorcraft coils comes to $356.98 vs $359.92 for BWD asssuming you dont need them shipped.

Why would you buy BWD? :confused:

My local Advance auto has BWD coils listed for $44.99 a piece, and rockauto has the motorcrafts DG529 listed for $45.79 a piece. Plus shipping of course, but with a 5% discount you can find anywhere the total for 8 motorcraft coils comes to $356.98 vs $359.92 for BWD asssuming you dont need them shipped.

Why would you buy BWD? :confused:

Agreed!!!!! makes no sense to me.

Agreed!!!!! makes no sense to me.

I get a huge discount on certain stuff at my local auto store and my BWD are like 40 bucks a piece, and honestly they work fine for me. I don't have the coin to drop 350 on a whole set at time, and if I can save 10-15 bucks I will do so.

Eventually I want to get the accell coils

Members online

No members online now.
Back