What Do You Guys Think?

omw41

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm test driving and thinking about buying this tomorrow. I know about: manifold problems, air bag issues, possible cat failure. Anything else I should look for? I can probably get it up on the Interstate and run it for 10-20 minutes at 55 and above. Also, how should the air bag system "perform" when I start the car? Should I see or feel the car go "up?" Should I see it go "down" when I turn it off? Thanks. :D

http://www.bryantmotorsportsautosales.com/windowsticker.php?UniqueID=1LNLM81W7VY736683

Its expensive. I bought an 00 for 4k in 08, with 80k miles on it. If it has a slow leak, you won't notice airbag issues until you bring it home.

The manifolds were an issue from 96-00. In 01 they put a "non-plastic" manifold back in. It can be pricey. Figure about 600. They are not that difficult to replace if you have a good set of tools, just about everything is on top. If the manifold is leaking it is a good bet to replace the spark plugs to. 9 times out of ten they are probably soaked in coolant and will be damaged.

Cats are a problem if you live in a state with emissions. Just have to replace them. They are very expensive.

The air struts are pretty reasonable. You can pick up TC air springs from Eddie at American Air Suspension about 88 a piece with solenoids. Probably bet on needing a compressor too, you can get them for about 120 bucks, very easy to replace, it is 3 bolts, a plug, and a sensor and viola it's done.

Replacing the springs can be troublesome. If you have a good floor Jack and a good set of tools it can be done.

A Mess

Thanks guys. That was some good info. The car was a mess. It had to be jumpstarted, one of the back windows didn't work ( "Check the power windows;" something I learned from reading threads on here) there was a suspesion warning light on the dash, etc...

I did kind of "want" this one for the $500.00 down. A decent generation two TC seems to go for about three grand around here private seller. I'll just have to save some more!

Thanks again. :)

I did kind of "want" this one for the $500.00 down.

I try to avoid buy-here/pay-here lots. They are selling credit more than cars. Sometimes you need a car and don't have much of a choice, but if you can get a bank loan, do it and then go to the dealer or private seller.

Members online

Back