Well its about time.

ambisonics

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I know this may sound strange, but my check engine light went off 2 days ago and it actually made me happy. The car has not been driving like it did when I first bought it. It hesitates, shudders slightly and has an occasional burning oil smell. None of these symptoms were severe enough to have it checked out by a mechanic, and it hadn't throw a code yet so I was actually hoping that it would.

I was getting on the freeway the other day doing about 60 in the slow lane,(too slow) so I decide to get in the left lane and pass a few people. As I do this, the engine didn't sound like its supposed to and the next thing I know I hear a ding and the check engine light is flashing. At the same time, my A/C got really warm. So I got in the right lane and slowed down for a bit and turned the A/C off and after about another 30 seconds tried it again and it was cold.

Once that I realized my car was able to drive home I was very happy because now I know that I'm not crazy and there really could be something wrong with my car (not that I'm excited to pay to get it fixed). My guess right now is the common oil in the spark plug well/failed coils/leaky valve cover. The usual. So she goes in for her routine oil change and tire rotation on Friday, so I'll report back with some news then. I'm sure somebody can chime in before then to give some advice, maybe something I should have the service techs check out specifically.

It wouldn't surprise me that the reason your a/c went warm is the ECM shut it down when it went into default for the trouble code.

I would definitely get this looked at. If you smell oil, it's probably a leaking valve cover...but wouldn't surprise me if you had another issue that threw the code. Leaking covers by themselves don't throw codes.

If it was flashing then it is definitley a misfire. Which could be the result of oil on the coil(s). You can save yourself a ton of money by doing this yourself. They will more than likely charge you a diag fee in order to troubleshoot it for you. There is a public technical how to on LvC that you can use to guide you through the procedure.

I meant to answer this last night but my lovely wife would stop coming on to me :D

Members online

Back